A friend needs some Air hammer info

I have a friend, who knows someone that's looking for a good airhammer, and needs it to be shipped overseas. He's interested in either a Bullhammer, or a Phoenix Forging hammer. Can any of you guys offer up any information on these hammers? It would be good for him to hear some opinions form others here, rather than buy something blind.
Thanks guys!
Robert

I saw the phoenix in action at Harley's hammer in. Good machine. The guy that builds em was there he puts a lot of quality in his stuff and has a feel for old machines he restores the old stuff for musuems and such. He's a machinist ist class. He told us one of his customers runs two of his machines 24 hours a day. Switched em to nylon guides cause they wore out the brass ones so fast.

Friend of mine has the Big-blu I think they are no longer made. I was getting it confused with the Bull.

John Larson makes one hekuva machine. He can find him over on forgemagic.com

Thanks Mike. I have a blu myself, and as far as I know, they're still made. The person desiring the air hammer had ruled out the Blu, which is what I have. Do you know the costs of the Phoenix models? I went to their site, but didn't see prices.

Tom Clark sells the best Contact him they all are very expensive So be ready to invest ,
Bowie 22 days Damascus free-the year 2005- weakness of body and mind are overtaking me thoughts of patterns are causing me to tremble

Hey Bowie! Work on Ray's press, make some damascus, work on Ray's press, make some damascus, Work on Ray's press, make some damascus, work on Ray's press, make some Damascus. That's how to spend the day! Yes, Tom carries a air hammer called Shaja (or something like that). I think it's right around $9,000, maybe cheaper if you buy a dozen.

Ron Claiborne said:
Bowie 22 days Damascus free-the year 2005- weakness of body and mind are overtaking me thoughts of patterns are causing me to tremble
Going on one day and getting the shakes. :eek: :D

i did not know you studdered or am i reading as a twist - repeatable over and over i get the hint or im sicker than i think i think Toms hammers are 8500 but they are self contained the Phoenix costing 7500 and needs a very large air compressor another big expense ,
the one like killer knives got is the best smaller hammer i have used .
Steven pryor fitzo and myself visited his shop and it’s a very good hammer i cant think of the makers name ,sorry ,maybe Killer Knives will tell information about him or Fitzo he is a very nice guy and builds a great hammer
bowie 22 day --you know

The gentleman's name Bowie is referring to is Maurice Ellis of Lizard Ridge Blacksmith Shop in Belgrade, Missouri. The phone number is 573-766-5346. (No website that I know of.) He used to offer a video tape demonstrating his hammers. Seemed like a very nice piece of equipment when we tried it out.

Ron, I do so hope you are following the doctor's orders. You would look funny with one of Phyllis's shoes in your rump..... ;)

maurice is a very nice man to do bussiness with-- very quick and honest with all his replys-- i called him he overnited me the video-- i made an appointment on 1/1/05 to go to his shop for a test drive and bought it.i use it for general forging and damascus production i couldnt ask more of this hammer or ever want anything larger cost $2800. 40#air hammer weighing in at 800 pounds bb

I'd love to get rid of my Blu and get one of Maurices mid-sized hammers. It's not that the Blu eats all that much more air, it's that I just don't have a large compressor for it, nor do I wish to buy a bigger one now. Maurice sent me the video last year, and I was happy with what I saw. The the company that makes the blu gave me a "deal" on a used one, so I opted for it. Come to fine out though I don't need a machine as big as a blu for what I do, plus I have my 100 lb. LG.

Robert, As you know I'm a 100# Little Giant guy and wounldn't have anything else, I've been around and using power hammers for over 12 years. If I were going to buy a air hammer, I'd buy one of Tom Clark's 110# self contained for $7995, he will also deleiver anywhere in this country for $300. I have used several of them and I know 4 or 5 guys that have bought one and they love em. Tom has put alot into his hammers and made many improvements over the last 5 or 6 years. I beleive he's sold nearly 100 hammers. I looked into the Bull hammer a few years ago and I felt it's too expensive and you have to get a BIG compressor to run it. I really like Tom's Hammer and if I ever decide I want a air hammer I will buy one of his.

Don Hanson lll

The Phoenix is built by Tom Troszak and is based upon the same basic design principles as the Bullhammer, which Tom also built but is no longer in production.

There is a long story about what happened to the former company, and several versions I'm sure as well, but I don't know enough to make any statements about it here. Suffice it to say there was some "drama", and opinions on the company, its management, and its products vary greatly. Take whatever you hear with a grain of salt...

Anyway, Phoenix hammers offer wonderful control, but they are quite expensive. Some people will tell you they're the best air hammer made (excellent ram to anvil weight ratio, wonderful control, lots of power, etc.) but others say they aren't nearly worth the cost. There are stories out there about people who have run the hammers continuously for years on end without problem, and there are stories about people who have had them break more than once on only limited use. As with anything, there are always stories...

One thing worth noting about the Phoenix, however, is that dies are very expensive ($1000 for a set) so if the user needs a lot of dies, it's going to add a very large cost to his hammer, or he'll have to spend the time to make them himself.

For what it's worth (not much, I know), I have also heard lots of great first-hand reports of happy and successful owners of the Sayha and the Big Blu hammers. Blu, by the way, just came out with a bigger, improved model (with a 155lb (70kg) ram) that your friend might be interested in learning more about as well. Further, the folks at Big Blu are extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. I bought my air compressor from them and they were always more than willing to answer my questions about fittings, hoses, filters, etc.

The compressor I bought, by the way, was for a Bullhammer.

Yep, I own one. I just got it recently and bought it second-hand for less than half of what it cost new, and I'm still in the process of getting everything set up, adjusted, broken-in, etc. Hopefully it will serve me well.

airhammer.jpg

Anyway, good luck to your friend. Suggest to him that he call Tom Troszak directly and recommend that he talk to Tom's competition as well. There's hardly any published information available about air hammers and it would be imprudent to spend that much money without doing some independent research. Word-of-mouth will only give you some random, biased opinions and could very easily lead you astray. Talk directly to the producers, some of their customers, and, if possible, track down a nearby machine and ask the owner if you can try it out sometime.

http://www.phoenixhammer.com/ 828-713-7828
http://bigbluhammer.com/ 828-437-5348

Sorry , what Wulf said about the Bull. Yeah stories are stories. Like the guy that tells you his dodge pickup won't hold up and next guy has 250,000 miles on his and just changed the spark plugs once ever 100,000 miles :D

Here's a pic of the IronKiss it is a self contained also.

http://www.anvilfire.com/news3/news3202.shtml

Back