A fun trip!

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by Plainsman, May 22, 2020.

1. Plainsman

Plainsman

Apr 5, 1999
    You have decided to take an extended trip into the back country at a location and time OF YOUR CHOICE for approximately 6-8 WEEKS! You are taking whatever you can carry. You even plan on returning to "town" a time or two to resupply, maybe spend a night at a hotel, get a "burger" etc.

You plan on adding wild protein to your diet during this time, trapping/fishing/snaring can be done according to your locations laws and seasons. You also plan on HUNTING during this excursion. So the question is: you are taking a SINGLE FIREARM, what do you choose, in what chambering and how much ammo?

3fifty7 and CVamberbonehead like this.
  2. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Interesting! I guess I would have to take one of my Remington 870s in either 12 or 20 gauge. I would take a 12 gauge I guess, since I live in Idaho and we have some big animals here. I would pack a couple boxes of high brass #6 loads for birds, bunnies and squirrels, plus a box of slugs for big game. Plus, a 12 gauge is a good defensive gun for bears and whatnot.
    I wouldnt want to pack much ammo because it is so heavy.

315, MTB, 3fifty7 and 1 other person like this.
  3. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Remington 870 12 gauge
    50 lead shotshells 7 1/2s
    25 #4 Buckshot
    10 1oz rifled slugs

MTB, CVamberbonehead and Plainsman like this.
  4. MTB

MTB

Jun 23, 2019
    In my neck of the woods, large predators are rarely encountered. Large game is nice, but small game is plentiful. Also, in my location of choice, I would have the ability to do some plinking so a takedown 10/22 rifle and a brick or two of ammo is what I would bring.