A fun trip!

You have decided to take an extended trip into the back country at a location and time OF YOUR CHOICE for approximately 6-8 WEEKS! You are taking whatever you can carry. You even plan on returning to "town" a time or two to resupply, maybe spend a night at a hotel, get a "burger" etc.

You plan on adding wild protein to your diet during this time, trapping/fishing/snaring can be done according to your locations laws and seasons. You also plan on HUNTING during this excursion. So the question is: you are taking a SINGLE FIREARM, what do you choose, in what chambering and how much ammo?

Interesting! I guess I would have to take one of my Remington 870s in either 12 or 20 gauge. I would take a 12 gauge I guess, since I live in Idaho and we have some big animals here. I would pack a couple boxes of high brass #6 loads for birds, bunnies and squirrels, plus a box of slugs for big game. Plus, a 12 gauge is a good defensive gun for bears and whatnot.
I wouldnt want to pack much ammo because it is so heavy.

In my neck of the woods, large predators are rarely encountered. Large game is nice, but small game is plentiful. Also, in my location of choice, I would have the ability to do some plinking so a takedown 10/22 rifle and a brick or two of ammo is what I would bring.

Back