A functional, wide-bladed sword?

Hey. I've occasionally looked around for a larger, sword type of cutting instrument, but I don't really know which are for display, and which could actually be used. I've just recently gotten into knives, let alone swords.

In any case, I was hoping someone could recommend me a "fancy looking", functional, wide bladed sword, like the Cold Steel Chinese War Sword. It doesn't have to be practical or efficient as a cutting instrument, as it would be a display piece, but, obviously, a "functional" display piece is much cooler than a non functional one.

Does it have to be a curved type sword like the one you mentioned or can it be straight bladed?

Type XIVs always looked strange to me but Albion sells a few and they have two new XVIIIc swords that I would call "wide-bladed" as well. All should be in the 3" range at the base.

Does it have to be a curved type sword like the one you mentioned or can it be straight bladed?

Type XIVs always looked strange to me but Albion sells a few and they have two new XVIIIc swords that I would call "wide-bladed" as well. All should be in the 3" range at the base.

I actually looked at some Albion stuff earlier, following a link or advice from somewhere on this forum.

Anyhow, it doesn't have to be a curved type of sword, but what I'm looking for is a blade that's significantly, or at least somewhat, wider than the handle/handle guard.

The Sheriff, Yeoman, Alexandria, and Principe have a 3" wide blade at the base. Of the manufacturers that I'm aware of that make quality, usable swords those are the widest I've come across.

I've made a few. More detail on what exactly you're looking for would probably help you narrow down your search. There are tons of wide-bladed swords of a wide variety of different shapes and sizes.

I highly suggest you consider getting a custom piece made right rather than searching for a production piece that suits you. Otherwise for a display sword cold steel is fine. It is likely overbuilt knowing them, and functional in the sense it might not break cutting a pumpkin

I sure do like ICE, the game of thrones sword, I know it's just for looks but boy that would fit my big hands nicely.

I think Albion still does a good Messer. I could also make you a wonderful Messer (as could a number of others). I am guessing that Albion will be in the $400-500 range, and a custom number, not pattern welded, will run from $700 or so. More with sheath, and $900 up if pattern welded and with sheath.

If you wanted Chinese then I am working on a 25" dao right now, pattern welded, with a hamon.

I have held and used the Albion model of messer and also their kriegsmesser (or great messer), and they are both very good for the price. If you don't go custom, I would suggest them.

kc

I think Albion still does a good Messer. I could also make you a wonderful Messer (as could a number of others). I am guessing that Albion will be in the $400-500 range, and a custom number, not pattern welded, will run from $700 or so. More with sheath, and $900 up if pattern welded and with sheath.

If you wanted Chinese then I am working on a 25" dao right now, pattern welded, with a hamon.

I have held and used the Albion model of messer and also their kriegsmesser (or great messer), and they are both very good for the price. If you don't go custom, I would suggest them.

kc

Oh? Interesting. I posted another thread earlier, asking about a custom knife maker for a larger-knife; http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ance-on-custom-makers?p=12985956#post12985956

Maybe you could chime in?

David Stifle, Miller Bros, and my personal favorites, Stuart Branson and Dan Keffeler, all make great swords as well.

Here's some of the short swords from the last batch (all sold):

Kevin, I can't wait to see your next one. The last one was superb!

Back