A. G. Russell Gun controversy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I've seen this flying around the firearm boards I visit.

Dennis said:
I am a regular customer of A. G. Russell, the knife sellers, and I subscribe to their weekly offers e-mail list. I was most surprised, and not a little shocked, to see the following comment in Mr Russell's weekly message. The emphasis is mine:

Last Friday, I sent an e-mail with Pro-Gun material to our customers in 13 states, material provided by a friend of more than 40 years. I would like to tell you about the response. I got back five (5) positive responses, one telling me that he had also emailed many of his friends to also act. I also got almost fifty (50) negative responses that ranged from "please don't spoil our relationship with this kind of material”, to very aggressive ones using profane language to tell me how stupid they think I am. Almost 90% of those negative responders said that they would never buy another knife from me. Many of those had spent thousands of dollars and bought several times each year. My World has changed! My customers have changed and are no longer 80% pro-gun. I will never again do a mailing of this type unless it involves knives

Is there any validity to this? Anyone got this email? I am running off of second hand information here, I've seen another one on a quick Google search with Ar-15.com

Edit: Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but I really have no idea where to put it is as it's not really knife laws, offtopic, or about specific blades.

I wouldn't have a problem with that mailing. This country is really going in the crapper with all the liberal bias.

I tend to like my companies to leave religion and politics out of their interactions with me. Regardless of whether I agree with them.

Is there any validity to this? Anyone got this email? I am running off of second hand information here, I've seen another one on a quick Google search with Ar-15.com

Yes, it is valid.
That was in AG's Weekly Special Mailing April 10 which I received.

I was surprised he got such a high percentage of negative feedback.

I'll shut up, because you're correct that General is probably not the best place to discuss it in any depth.

I got the same email last night.

I responded to tell him I wasn't bothered at all to receive any pro-second amendment messages from them and that I was happy to support a publicly pro-second amendment organization through my knife purchases.

I can certainly understand why others may not appreciate the message- but responding with aggressive tones and profanity is certainly not appropriate OR warranted. If you disagree with their politics, then simply don't purchase knives form them.

In before the move.

I have no problem with the email (I received it, as well), and it is A. G.'s right to express his opinion through his privately owned company emails. I feel bad that such a large percentage of feedback was negative (10 to 1) and will show my support by adding my positive reply.

It may have been an unlucky move on his part, though, as I can see a significant loss of customers, if this is indeed a trend in opinion. It's sad that his "80%" has changed. But, maybe there will be enough positive feedback to compensate for those whose opinions differ.

I know it's a risk in today's social environment to speak out on controversial subjects, but I applaud A. G. for doing so.

I responded to tell him I wasn't bothered at all to receive any pro-second amendment messages from them and that I was happy to support a publicly pro-second amendment organization through my knife purchases.

Said I'd shut up, I'll try to after this :D.
I just sent him an email too, basically saying I was surprised by the negative reaction and he certainly had not lost me as a customer.

I can certainly understand why others may not appreciate the message- but responding with aggressive tones and profanity is certainly not appropriate OR warranted. If you disagree with their politics, then simply don't purchase knives form them.

Thats one of the problems with email (or forums;)), you can respond so quickly and often without enough thought when you feel something jerks your chain just a little.

I think its worth noting he got a TOTAL of 50 negative replies. I'd guess that mailing likely went to hundreds (thousands?) of folks. You can probably get that percent of negative reaction on almost any opinion you take.

Only 55 responses to the email topic? Not a very large sampling if one considers it a poll. I wonder how many emails were sent all together. Could easily be that only 1/10th of recipiants responded pro or con. Could be that negative responders disproportionately responded. At any rate, sorry to hear that those few could not respond in a civil manner. One can agree to disagree without becoming disagreeable.

And this thread can be closed, but not moved to the PA because of registered member posts. Registered members do not have access to that forum.

I guess I need to send an email.

My feeling is that normally, you only get the negative responses, because they are the ones who have their panties in a wad.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with suggesting that we exercise our rights.

I think it's also because you aren't looking or talking to the person you using communicating with. It's harder to think "wow I'm being a real jerk to this person" when you are typing words on a screen. All this email/texting/computers/etc. has had a very dehumanizing effect on the way we all communicate!

I tend to like my companies to leave religion and politics out of their interactions with me. Regardless of whether I agree with them.

Same here.
I'm as pro gun as you can get, and had an FFL for many years, but I don't care to hear about politics from the companies I deal with.
I didn't get this last email as I had called them long ago(after getting a political brochure), and politely asked them to take me off of their list.

I think AG is wrong in saying he doesn't think 80% of his customers is pro gun. Many just don't want to hear about politics from those they deal with. His post on the other forum will get him more business than he lost, and he knows that.

I think it's also because you aren't looking or talking to the person you using communicating with. It's harder to think "wow I'm being a real jerk to this person" when you are typing words on a screen. All this email/texting/computers/etc. has had a very dehumanizing effect on the way we all communicate!

+1, this happens quite a bit all over the internet. People say things they would never have the balls to say in person. Just look at You tube and yahoo comments. I'll send him a support email also.

If anyone besides friends and family emails me about politics I'll generally let them know precisely what they can do with said email. And even with friends and family it's iffy.

I think Mr. Russell was right in expressing his opinion. Our 2nd amendment rights are under attack. How long until knives are under attack?

I think Mr. Russell was right in expressing his opinion. Our 2nd amendment rights are under attack. How long until knives are under attack?

That's all good, but others certainly had the right to respond as they saw fit. I don't like getting preached at about anything and, while I really do like A.G. Russell and think he's a standup guy, I'm hoping this results in a freeze in any political emails.

He's welcome to do whatever he likes, but there might be implications for his business, as he has correctly ascertained. Whether those implications gain or lose him customers in the long run would be difficult to tell, but no retailer wants to hear from current customers that they are losing their business. That's just bad business.

Frankly, while I like to know where people stand on issues, I prefer not to be solicited on advocacy issues, and I believe I have communicated that to A.G. in the past (in courteous tones, of course). But it is up to a retailer to make their own (informed, business and personal) decision about how to handle such matters.

DJK

This thread is a already too political for this forum. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back