A Gaijin Speaks

With all due respect to Robert and the traditional excellence of the Japanese sword, following is a modern swordmaker's interpretation of the Wakazashi.

img57.jpg

This, fashioned in A2, is the Gaijin Wakazashi. The blade is 20-1/4" long with the sword's OAL at 29-3/4. The hand-and-a-half handle is of black canvas Micarta with hollow brass pins. Despite the fact that the spine is the blades's full 3/16" thickness to within 3" of the point, total weight is just 22 oz.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com
The Tom & Jerry Show

Welll it seems to me that a wakizashi is a wakizashi because it looks a certain way and was made a certain way. This thing doesn't look that way. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it isn't pretty (it is) but it doesn't really seem to be a wakizashi. In fact it looks a lot more like one of those philipino things (espada?).

Damn it Jerry! I seem to be stalking you and your pics all over the forums! Both of those are awesome blades. I'd love to practice drills with that espada!

------------------
"Come What May..."

That's the one. Wonder of wonders I even got the name right.

Dear Jerry,

Can you enlighten us on the performance of this sword:

1) as a weapon

2) vs. the traditional katana (for chopping/cutting)

Thanks
smile.gif

Adamant, I have had my Espadas tested, but this is the first I've done in another blade style. The blade is very quick, and the edge is the same as that used on the Espada, which has fared well against flesh, bone, rattan, other blades and bamboo.

Having had only movies as a point of reference, the sword handles easily in a manner that I identify with Japanese sword fighting, but I really don't know. It is being delivered to an MA who is trained and competes internationally in the Japanese fighting styles.

A2 is a good, not great, steel. I've yet to have any of my blades chip, crack or break in testing, though I did have one customer try to chop through the false edged spine of an Rc61 ATS-34 knife with the shaving sharp edge of an Rc61 CPM-3V blade. That did produce a small chip. My edges are grain of wheat in shape and are generally heavier than you would expect on hollow ground blades. Due to the hollow grind, the blade should be less susceptible to bending than a traditional flat ground blade.

I would expect this blade to easily sever a shank of pork or beef, including 2-3" of bone, as have my other swords. In the hands of a competent user, this sword is fully capable of bisecting a man in almost any direction. Personally, I find the length to be surprisingly efficient in terms of maneuverability versus cutting capacity.

I'm not really sure how to answer your questions, not having a point of reference other than history and legend as to how such a blade is supposed to perform. I intend to make more of these, and have a couple more in CPM-3V with blades in the 25-26" range that are profiled and ready for grinding. Of these swords I have made, this is certainly my personal favorite (to carry that is, not to grind).

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com
The Tom & Jerry Show

Very impressive Jerry!

Just the thought of grinding that blade makes my whole body ache.

Look forward to seeing you in Atlanta.

Here is my mentors version of a modern Wakazashi.
K00939.jpg

Mike Snody
www.snodyknives.com

Wow, Mike. That is so amazingly elegant, and the workmanship is stunning.

My stuff is for your average Joe Ronin. That sword is clearly in the Daimo's collection.

I look forward to seeing you, and thanks for showing that.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com
The Tom & Jerry Show

Mr. Hossom,

Nice blades on your website! I was wondering how hard is the edge on your modern Wakizashi? Have you thought about making a modern interpretation of a Moro Barong?

Mr. Snody,

Interesting blades on your site also. Your Narita Tanto is very cool! I'm curios about your expierience at Narita Airport? What blade did you have to give up to the security personnel? I didn't have any problems bringing my Khukuri (19" lenght) through recently.

With both A2 and CPM-3V, I have sword steel hardened to Rc57-58. Edge hardness is only part of the equation though. Geometry is vitally important, and all these have grain of wheat shaped, convex edges

Here are a couple more

img15.gif

How about a modern mini-barong?

img9.jpg

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com
The Tom & Jerry Show

Broken Arrow,
Thanks for visiting my site.
I have never had a problem with checked baggage at the Narita Airport. On one trip from Yushno-Sakhalinsk to Sapporo to Narita I did have to give up a folder that I was carrying at Narita. What was interesting is that it was a very small non serrated blade.
I probably could have hung around a tried to get it checked, but I really wanted to get back to Houston after 30 days in Russia eating fish and mashed potatoes (and borsch) three meals a day. Anyway I decided that Narita would be a good name for my "Tanto" pattern. My Japanese style knives are not traditional and they are not historically accurate they are my interpretation of 21st century high performance Japanese style blades. They are quite simply a style of knife that I enjoy making. Thanks again.
Regards,
Mike Snody
www.snodyknives.com

Mr. Hossom,

Thanks for more pictures of your work! I was curious about your mini-Barong. What are the dimensions? Is it possible to get one made with an 17.5" to 18" blade? Also, is it possible to get the grip (butt end) to have a little more curvature downwards?

Thanks again.

Mr. Snody,

Thanks again for the information on your situation at Narita. I was also wondering if you make any type of Wakizashi size blades?

Thanks.

Mr Arrow, my little one is just 7". 18" would take a lot of thinking and maybe a little prayer. I'll have to ponder that.

I have a better handle for what you're speaking of. I've used it on this camp knife.

img2.jpg

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com
The Tom & Jerry Show

Cut it out, Jerry! Your KILLING me with all these pictures. Why must you taunt me with all these amazing blades, while never having any available?! Maybe you could just throw together one of those Wakazashis and drop it in the mail for me...?

------------------
John Gonzalez
Exclusive Dealer
Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works

Originally posted by Jerry Hossom
I intend to make more of these, and have a couple more in CPM-3V with blades in the 25-26" range that are profiled and ready for grinding. Of these swords I have made, this is certainly my personal favorite (to carry that is, not to grind).

More eh? Cool. How do you think S30V would work in something like this, since it is apparently as "tough" as A2?

Could you shoot me an email on how much something like this might cost? If you waiting period is long enough, I might be able to save enough money to buy one. :)

With all due respect to Jerry, Mike, and everyone who enjoys modern contemporary swords...

Cool stuff. :D Could do without the brass though ;)

Back