A Happy Ending

This past weekend my wife and I took a road trip to Lancaster PA (Amish country) to get out of NYC and watch spring bloom. She was going to check out pottery and I was going to check out a store called "Country Knives, the largest knife store..." The knife store was REALLY COOL with a large selection and a fantastic presentation, but they were overpriced (in my opinion) so I didn't get to buy anything.
We camped Saturday night and I brought some great gear includeing my old 4-pin Schrade LB7. I didn't really use it for much, but it felt good to have something in my hand when the wind blew against the tent and scared the heck out of us. (city slickers) When we got home on Sunday and I was unpacking the car I noticed that the knife wasn't in its sheath. I cleaned out the car and did a final inspection - no knife! I called the campgrounds and asked them if they had a lost and found, but I didn't expect a miracle. Finally, I just said goodbye to one of my favorites and moved on. I mentioned the loss to my wife the other night and she asked if I had checked the sleeping bags... I just grinned and said to my self "thanks, that's helpful - like I wouldn't have felt the weight difference" and went to sleep. It couldn't be in the sleeping bags - except it was in one of the sleeping bags! I just found it.

That makes last weekend's trip 100% successful. No speeding tickets and no lost gear!

Glad to hear you didn't lose your precious. :)

Isn't it amazing how hard it sometimes is to notice those weight differences? Get this, I once had a squirrel - yes, real, live squirrel - stowaway in my backpack, and I didn't notice it until it got bored and tried to get out. I carried it for probably nearly half an hour. :D

That makes last weekend's trip 100% successful. No speeding tickets and no lost gear!

Funny you say that. My wife and I took a trip to Arkansas for a week camping trip. Like all vacations we were in a hurry to get home when it was over. I drove the trip straight through. My wife siad "keep it under 90 and I won't say anything" ( she is always watching my speed, which is a good thing). I was able to make good time to say the least :D . Thankfully the good guy in the sky had his hands on us and we made it safe with NO tickets.

Glade you had a safe trip and have all your gear.

John

I'm going camping/hikeing again this weekend with my father. I'm leaveing the Schrade LB7 home (too heavy) and taking along a Schrade 141OT and a Case whittler. First time I'll be field testing the 141OT (also first time I'm taking a sheath knife on a camping/hikeing trip).

Elen - I laughed out loud about the squirrel!

Back