A Jumbo filing Jig

This jig weighs 26lbs and is a handful. If you have a bigger one, I'd like to see it. Not joking.:D
I use a 14 inch, long angled lath bastard, file to cut shoulders. When I built this; I wanted a jig that would give, opportunity, to use the whole length of the file and keep it straight as I filed.
You can adjust the rails, that carry the file, so they set 90 Degrees to the tang, giving you shoulders that are square off the face of the ricasso. The adjustment, is accomplished, by turning the threaded bolts, on the back, in or out. {the small ratchet is on one of them }
The jig is spring loaded. When you set it in the vise the pressure of the springs, holds the jaws apart allowing you to insert the blade. This also keeps the jig from falling out of the vise. That would not be good.:eek::eek:

The rails are made from S7 steel. They can be removed and surfaced which I do every couple of years.

It is a bit cumbersome to move about, but it produces perfect shoulders.

Happy to answer questions, Fred

ara.jpg

aqw.jpg

aqx.jpg

aqy.jpg

aqz.jpg

arb.jpg

arc.jpg

If you go to build this, make sure to machine for the adjustment bolts. Adjusting the plane of both sides aligns the rails where the safe edges, of the lath bastard file, rides.
Once I have the blade in the jig, I screw the bolts, in or out, depending on which way the rails need to move. Align the top of the rails, with a straight edge, tap into alignment, tighten the c clamps. File away!
There are machined pockets that carry the springs. When you loosen the wing nut, shown in photo, the springs push and hold the jaws open.

Big is good:thumbup:
I've had trouble with this so I need to make something anyway.

Larry

:eek:
What do you intend to bevel with that? A guillotine??? :D:p

Nice setup. I'll build myself a filing jig. Perhaps a little more handy...

Thats a really good jig. Looks highly accurate. Theres enough room to do 3 or 4 at once. :)

Blades that are going to get a false edge, go in the jig point up. I clamp an alignment block to the top and file away.

I envy those who can do all this free hand.

Fred

Blades that are going to get a false edge, go in the jig point up. I clamp an alignment block to the top and file away.

I envy those who can do all this free hand.

Fred

Usually they had 25 years to learn doing nothing else but that.
I don't have 25 years to do just that.
With the job I have, I don't have 25 times in a year when I can forge OR grind blades.
Hell, with the world we live in and the stuff I eat, I don't know if I have 25 yers, period! :rolleyes::D
So the jig will be a real saver... :cool::thumbup:

Fred, I think you have solved the misplacing problem at least until old timers comes along.
Also liking the bamboo file handle......

Usually they had 25 years to learn doing nothing else but that.
I don't have 25 years to do just that.
With the job I have, I don't have 25 times in a year when I can forge OR grind blades.
Hell, with the world we live in and the stuff I eat, I don't know if I have 25 yers, period! :rolleyes::D
So the jig will be a real saver... :cool::thumbup:

Computer programmer; :yawn: way to much time at the keyboard:eek:. I try to limit it to, 2:foot: hours a day, having fun:D. Can't imagine, doing it as a day job.:eek: Never touched a keyboard till I hit fifty.

Knife making must a relaxing change of pace for you.

Ever consider buying a few acres and moving to the country; raise goats and get healthy? A possibility?:thumbup: Could last another 50 or so.

If you go to build this, make sure to machine for the adjustment bolts. Adjusting the plane of both sides aligns the rails where the safe edges, of the lath bastard file, rides.
Once I have the blade in the jig, I screw the bolts, in or out, depending on which way the rails need to move. Align the top of the rails, with a straight edge, tap into alignment, tighten the c clamps. File away!
There are machined pockets that carry the springs. When you loosen the wing nut, shown in photo, the springs push and hold the jaws open.

If you need more information, give me a yell, Fred

Fred, I think you have solved the misplacing problem at least until old timers comes along.
Also liking the bamboo file handle......
Raymond,

I picked that file up at one of those, permanent flea markets that has been running, in town, for the last ten years.
The file was eleven dollars, its new to boot.
Jim, aka, the bolt man, sells all kinds of quality hardened steel, like keyways, cutters and the like, the stuff is by the pound. A great place to pick up cool stuff to use in caned damascus.

The cool handle was a nice extra.
I'm thinking about making some for my other big files.

What thread am I posting on, anyway:):confused::eek::D Damn!

Fred

Fred, you can never go too big... who knows when you might need to sharpen up the blade of a backactor, or somethin'...

Back