A Ka-Bar ancestor, (found at my local flea market), finds a new home with me...

My owning some Ka-Bar company fixed blade knives, I have enjoyed reading about the company's history.
Actually, I do the history searching thing with all the items I add to my collection. I find it to be a major part of my hobby, finding it interesting and a lot of fun :)
Of course Ka-bar's biggest family ancestor was the Union Razor Cutlery Company, (which shortened it's name to Union Cutlery Company in 1909). Union cutlery used to use the Ka-Bar trademark as one of their product line brands, but the actual maker was still Union Cutlery. Anyhow, fast forward a few years after WW2, when their Ka-Bar branded military issued knife had become world famous for it's part during the war, and the Union Cutlery Company decided to change it's company's name to Ka-Bar, (to gain from the brand's recognition and newly found fame).

Now, let me tell you about today's flea market find...
This 'Spike' model razor, with it's original box, was made by the Union Cutlery Company during the years 1921 to 1951.
This specimen has been used, but not abused. It shows some gray patina, but no active red rust, no pitting, no damage to blade or handle, and has a sharp cutting edge. In other words, it's in nice overall shape. I believe the handles may be of the gassy type, (celluloid), so my including it into the collection will not involve placing it alongside my other gadgets. I will likely segregate it into it's own little space.

I had read so much about the Union Razor Company/Union Cutlery Company, but this is my first aquisition of the once famous Ka-Bar ancestor.

Not bad for $5 :)

Last edited:
That looks like a really cool straight razor you got there. You might not want to but I would have to give it a good stropping and shave with it at least once. I think it would make for a more interesting display if you could say " yeah I shaved with it".

That looks like a really cool straight razor you got there. You might not want to but I would have to give it a good stropping and shave with it at least once. I think it would make for a more interesting display if you could say " yeah I shaved with it".

Thanks! :)
Shave with it?... Oh no!... I would surely be needing some serious gauze bandages to cover the wounds I'd likely cause... lol! ;)

Then again, how cool would my ear look in a pickled jar after I accidentally lob it off! It would surely make a cool display and conversation piece :)

Anyone looking at an ear in a jar would probably say "I bet there's a story behind that" lol Very cool old razor, and very cool history lesson:thumbsup:

Thanks, buddy! ☺
Since they were being made during the years 1921 to 1951, I wonder if there is any way of dating the particular time that this specimen was made during those 30 years. It seems there are subtle differences in their handle markings as they went along in making them, and the box markings changed during that 30 year period too.

Last edited:
Nice find. It's not that hard to shave with a straight razor. Just think to push cut, never pull cut. I did it for thirty years and still have my ears. If it happens you get a light cut ,put on it a piece of cigarette paper (used to roll tobacco). I still use that trick when whittling. That and a bit of luck, that i wish you.

Dan.

Back