A knife I made..

Well, here's my most recent.. first hidden tang blade... 6th finished knife all together.
Steel - O1
OAL is 9".
Blade is 3 3/4" cutting edge. Patina'd using vinegar and bleach.
Brass gaurd and pin.
Handle is birdseye maple stained with dark walnut.

Pic is best I could do with my phone. Still need to etch my name and sharpen but I think it's ready to show.

Last edited:
That would be forge finish. Actually, I started the blade on a grinder but then took the hammer to it in the end. Too bad the pic isn't very clear... Thanks 69!

Thank you all for the kind words!
I'll be giving this one to my uncle as I've told him for months I'd make him a knife for cutting up deer. What should I use as a sealant on the handle over the stain? Would tung or boiled linseed oil work on top of the stain or should I go with polyurethane or something?

The oils you mentioned will certainly work. Since the wood is stained, don't use steel wool between coats. Just wipe it on, let it soak in and buff vigorously with a clean cotton cloth.
More coats is more better.

That's a nice little hunter, I'm sure your uncle will be very pleased. :)

This is my 6th completed knife, Mike. I'm out a grinder so I haven't been able to get much done lately. On the positive side it looks like I'll be able to get more forging practice in until I get a new grinder.

Thanks Pancho, I think I did ok.. it is the first gaurd I've done and the slot isn't perfect but, it's not too far off either. I'm sure I'll improve with the next one. It fits the index finger quite comfortably though!

Combs - Thanks for the comment. It's good to know other makers accept and even like the style of something I made. This place is what keeps me at it.

Thanks everyone.

Back