Photos A knife with 3D-printed titanium handle

I received a UniTi "Scar" from the UG-Tools maker in Germany and I thought it deserved a review because it’s a cool knife.
(you can click on all pics to see a full resolution version).

I saw a few Youtube videos about this new maker and I was intrigued by their 3D-printing technology so I decided to check the website to see if there was something to add in my collection.
At first it was a bit confusing but basically it boils down to this :
They offer three different handles type: the Squad, the TiNy and the UniTi.
These handles can receive different printed patterns : The "Floe", the "Stealth" and the "Scar".
You can attach different blade profiles to these handles : the Droppoint, the Sheepfoot, the Bushcraft, the Compact Survival and the Survival.
And finally you can select different steels for these blades : 12C27, Niolox, Cronidur 30 and Magnacut.

So a full description of my model is : UniTi "Scar" with bushcraft blade in Magnacut :

The fist thing that you notice when you hold the knife is the weigh. It's VERY lightweight.
I will compare it to similar knife like the the 4.5' blade Carothers DEK1 (with a skeletonized handle to reduce weight).

The UniTI “Scar” weighs only 153 g (5.4 oz) with a 12 cm long (4.72 in) and 4 mm thick blade (0.157).
The Carothers DEK1 weighs 175 g (6.2 oz) with a 11.5 cm long (4.5 in) and 4.06 mm thick blade (0.160).

Here with also a Carothers FK2 :

The blade is a full flat profile with a very attractive stonewash finish :

The steel is Magnacut with a Rockwell hardness of 62 HRC and this hardness is printed on the blade. That's the first time I see this. They must be very confident in their heat treat process ;)
The thickness behind the edge is 0.5 mm (0.020) which is excellent for a knife like this.

OO9XVAZh.jpg

Of course the cool part of the knife is the 3D-Printed handle.
Here is how UG-Tools describe the process to fit the blade to this 3D-printed handle :
"We fit the blades into the handle without play and glue them into the titanium handle over the entire surface with high-strength adhesive. For even more safety, with most models the blade is additionally screwed from the inside. So it remains fully functional in the unlikely event of the adhesive coming off. The adhesive reliably seals the gap to the handle and prevents dirt and moisture from penetrating".

At first I was a bit worried about this technology. Obviously it seems less bomb-proof than a full tang knife but according to the website the titanium supports the tang and force is dissipated into the handle evenly.
Then I saw this incredible torture test video and I was fully reassured.

The handle is very ergonomic with a thickness of 24 mm (0.94). As explained above there are different printed paterns avaiable for the handle and I selected the "Scar" version. The grip is really excellent with a textured finish due to the 3D-printing that you can see if you look closely (click on the picture to see it in HD).

I tried to put the knife in the freezer during half an hour and then grip it to see if the Titanium feeling is uncomfortable. Yes at first it's cold but due to the lightness of this handle there is no real problems and in a few seconds the titanium is at body temperature.

One cool thing about this 3D-printing technology is the fact that you can manufacture things that would be very difficult to do with normal tools. Here the contoured handle is hollow with a rubber ring on the cap. So you have a waterproof storage volume that can be used for what you want (small fire kit or other items). There are also recessed lanyard holes just below the handle cap.
That's the first hollow handle knife I own since the "Aitor Jungle King 1" of my teenage years :)

The sheath is also 3D-printed and made of polyamide. There is an UltiLink attached on the sheath and also an adjusting screw in order to have a perfect fit of the knife. When I received it the sheath was much too tight but, thanks to this adjusting screw, now it's perfect.

All in all I'm very happy with this new knife in my collection. The price is a little bit high but it's a quality tool with a cool technology. I would recommend it.

Last edited:
I have some experience with 3D printed material through work. Like you mentioned the process in itself tends to have a rougher finish that is great for scales/handle of a knife. I think there is some adjustment in the roughness and I am sure it will improve as the 3D printing machines evolve. That was a good review and a nice knife.

I think these are pretty sweet. We already talked about this on Reddit, but I'm really starting to come around to this idea. When I first saw these, I thought there's no way that these are going to hold up to some of the abuse that guys put fixed blades through as it's just a blade glued into a handle. But.. After seeing a few people's experience with them and them being on the market a little longer I'm starting to trust them more and more. I'm still not ready to put my full faith into one yet and buy one, but I'll definitely be paying attention because it's a very cool idea. Nice knife man!

Congrats on what appears to be very well built outdoor knife ! Thank you for the detailed review and pictures !
I was impressed by the test from your Tube link.
Just FYI - markings with the hardness on the blade are sort of "European" thing. I have few blades from Bulgarian knife makers and
they test the particular blade for hardness and apply the same number on the blade.

I think there is some adjustment in the roughness and I am sure it will improve as the 3D printing machines evolve.

Do you mean in the future the Ti texture will be smoother than the one visible in the handle? I thought this texture was an inevitable consequence of the 3D-printing tech. Apparently it can't be silky smooth.
The FAQ on the website says they use something called "Selective Laser Melting" and there is a really cool picture of the process. We don't see the laser in the picture but I find it fascinating to see the handles emerging from the titanium powder :)

I tried to search for the SLM tech and I found this in the corresponding Wikipedia article:

"Independent of the material system used, the SLM process leaves a grainy surface finish due to powder particle size, layer-wise building sequence and the spreading of the metal powder prior to sintering by the powder distribution mechanism".

Interesting knife! Thanks for presenting it.

If the handle is hollow, how long is the tang and what shape does it have?

The handle is 12 cm and I roughly measured the hollow part at 9 cm. So it means the tang can be at most 3 cm.
According to the website description it's force fitted in the handle with a high-strength adhesive applied on it and the back of the tang is screwed from the inside.
I tried to apply some lateral force (not like the insane guy in the Youtube video) and it appears rock solid.

Can you get these in the US? I like the blade profile and an ALL METAL knife is something I really like.

The website says "The products are delivered all over the world" so I would say yes, you can order from US.
However at the moment it appears they are receiving so many orders that there are some delays in the delivery (it's explained in the Homepage of the site).
If you are from outside of the European Union they recommend that you contact them first by mail before ordering.

I was in contact by mail with Jan (one of the 2 guys behind UG-Tools, the one with the PhD in the field of selective laser melting) and he was responsive to my message.

P patrickguignot Have you had a chance to put this thing through it's paces yet? I've been really curious to hear what you're thinking about it.🤙
I'm mostly a collector so I haven't hard used this knife. Just the normal everyday cutting tasks. Also a walk in the Fontainebleau forest near Paris when I tried light batoning (just to see how it feels with this model). It worked perfectly.
I really like this knife, in particular the way the handle feel. It's one of the most comfortable knife handle that I know of.
Another advantage is the weight, it's really light, nothing like having a brick on your belt (yes I'm looking at you my dear Busse SOB 😁).
The heat treat of the Magnacut steel must be good because it stays sharp for a long time and is easy to sharpen with my Wicked Edge system.
Conclusion : I'm super happy with this knife.
I even bought another model from the same maker.

Yea man, those are really cool knives, I've been watching them for what feels like a long time when I first saw they were announcing them on Reddit or something. Thanks for your thoughts in both threads! Some day I'm probably definitely going to have to get one. It's really impressive that they appear to be able to take so much abuse for the glued and screwed tang style!

I'm mostly a collector so I haven't hard used this knife. Just the normal everyday cutting tasks. Also a walk in the Fontainebleau forest near Paris when I tried light batoning (just to see how it feels with this model). It worked perfectly.
I really like this knife, in particular the way the handle feel. It's one of the most comfortable knife handle that I know of.
Another advantage is the weight, it's really light, nothing like having a brick on your belt (yes I'm looking at you my dear Busse SOB 😁).
The heat treat of the Magnacut steel must be good because it stays sharp for a long time and is easy to sharpen with my Wicked Edge system.
Conclusion : I'm super happy with this knife.
I even bought another model from the same maker.
I only know Fontainebleau from bouldering/climbing... Been there a gazillion times.

Very cool idea, I'm a little disappointed though that the design they chose looks like injection molded plastic from a distance. They could get pretty crazy with the design and make something that can't be made using traditional manufacturing methods. It does look like they've contoured it nicely, though, so you get that advantage of an injection molded handle but with much better longevity.

Do you mean in the future the Ti texture will be smoother than the one visible in the handle? I thought this texture was an inevitable consequence of the 3D-printing tech. Apparently it can't be silky smooth.

You are correct, the grain size and laser beam thickness can be changed to some degree so it's a little smoother at the expense of build time, but it will still have a powdery texture. When sintering materials like Nylon, you can apply a sealant to smooth things out and make the surface less porous; I'm not sure what options are available with titanium. One thing that would be interesting is if they used larger grain sizes and adjusted the beam intensity to create a highly porous titanium part; you'd have a piece that was essentially solid but lighter in weight due to all the air pockets in the interstitial areas.

Back