A leather work Question about making sheaths

I guess it all depends how you do it. I use a drillpress but put a needle in the chuck. I run it a high speed and wax it often. The needle only pokes a tiny hole then stretches it out. IMO, it is a stronger, tighter stitch than the awl (which cuts a slit) or the drill bit (which removes leather).

I've seriously been considering a Tippmann Boss, lately.

Rick

I'm always ready to encourage tool purchases.
I've seen criticism of them for marking up the leather with the foot, but your brick bashed look would hide that pretty well.

They're on sale right now, $300 off ought to cover shipping and taxes.
http://www.tippmannindustrial.com/product_info.php?products_id=29

If it allowed you to produce more, a very small increase in output would pay for it.

I've seen criticism of them for marking up the leather with the foot, but your brick bashed look would hide that pretty well.

I know.... it was probably one of my posts you read... lol. I have seen many messed up sheaths from the Boss but recently found a few individuals who use it and their work is fantastic.

Thanks for the link.

Rick

I know.... it was probably one of my posts you read... lol. I have seen many messed up sheaths from the Boss but recently found a few individuals who use it and their work is fantastic.

Thanks for the link.

Rick

It probably was, I remember it wasn't that long ago.

If you figure out what those makers are doing differently to avoid that marking up, let us know.
I hate hand stitching.

Ya can get a good sewing machine for the price of the Boss or pretty darn close. Look at the Artisans. I've got a buddy and he's got two Artisans and loves em. He makes chaps for a living and thats ALOT of sewing! I know cause I've hand sewn 3 pair myself. I'm at 400-500 pair now but the rest have been machine sewn. Enough of that nonsense. I've got a Ferdco and its a great machine but it has a real steep learning curve which of course I didn't know till I was entered up for a couple of years. Ya stick that awl under your thumbnail while handsewing a few times and those machines look real good. Ask me how I know, bad awl, bad awl. The production increase makes the expense worth it. I'll be starting 36 sheaths tonight, cutting out, tooling and fitting welts. I'll get around to sewing em tomorrow or the next day. On 36 sheaths I will spend maybe 40-45 mins at the machine give or take a few. Sure take alot longer than that to hand sew em. What Griz says about therapy is true I have to agree. However if ya have more than one to do lets kick this pig and get er done.

I can sew up your basic pouch sheath or butterfly sheath using the double needle saddle stitch fairly quickly. If all my holes are punched correctly and everything is waxed and ready to go. That's without a stitching pony too. If I had a pony, I could really make time fly. :)

Dang I just sold mine at a yard sale a couple of months back hadn't used it for years. It was a full size sit on er and watch tv while you sew model out of oak. I'd a taken it a part and stuck er in a box and headed er your way. Only sold her for $25. Get ya one it'll help.

Back