A little big blade fun

k_estela

Co-Moderator, Wilderness and Survival Skills Forum
The holy trinity of outdoors tools is the small knife such as a pocket knife or necker, a chopping blade and the 4"-5" fixed blade belt knife. Many of us on the forum carry this setup and it works perfectly. However, there are times when you may only have one knife and that knife might not fit into this category. You may keep a large bladed knife in your trunk just in case or one might ride in your B.O.B. I normally don't carry a big knife but I tried an experiment this past week in the woods. I wondered what the big blade was capable of and what the benefits and drawbacks of a large blade are. Here are my results. Just a note, sorry for the bad quality pictures!

HPIM0759-1.jpg

My test knife was a Chris Reeve Jereboam II with a 9" blade. Awesome in every way! I really took a liking to it after a while.

HPIM0763.jpg

Choking up on the blade for fine work was made possible by a large unsharpened ricasso. The top guard I found to be an incumberance but not totally unbearable. I just loosened my grip a bit. On the other hand, a guardless spine would be nice!

HPIM0761.jpg

Fine work being done with the large blade. It sliced nicely and I found the long sharpened section took shavings off with one swoop.

HPIM0764.jpg

Chopping was a cinch with the heft of the blade. I cut numerous small saplings and then spent some time working on woods of various densities. From punky to hard beech, it cut well but not as well as some large blades I have owned with a full height bevel. Overall, not bad. The handle knurling provided a positive grip but it did create a couple blisters in the palm of my hand.

HPIM0771.jpg

A figure 4 made with the Jereboam II.

Final thoughts:

I enjoyed using the big knife as it has been a long time since I have. The big knife fits a niche in the outdoors world but it isn't one I regularly encounter. I have the luxury of planning ahead, carrying gear to suit the situation and will certainly go back to carrying the trinity of tools I find ideal. However, if space were an issue and a more formidable tool was needed, the big blade would come in handy and I wouldn't dismiss its utility.

nice post. I'm toying with the idea of slimming my battery down to 2 blades, a 12 inch machete and a small fixed blade... I'm waiting for my mini canadian to arrive, when it comes I'll be testing this combo over the nexxt several weeks... K, I've been wanting to ask you what kind of knife is that necker I see you wearing from time to time?

22.jpg

The neck knife I carry is the Bark River Knife and Tool Lil' Creek. I'm anxiously awaiting a very slim 5/32" PSK from Scott Gossman that will most likely replace this one. I like the stoutness of the Lil' Creek. The sheath is made by Sharpshooter Sheath Systems and it has a BSA hotspark on it, and in the cut out, some circle hooks wrapped with 50# spiderwire. I put a small photon light on it and soon I'll put a compass to finish it off.

It is the third knife below the WLC logo in this picture. Above it are a Mini-Northstar and Fox River for size reference.

HPIM0657.jpg

A long blade can be wrapped [leaves etc] at the base to give a safer short knife performance.

Very cool write up and pics. It goes to show how a large blade can do small carving too. I have always liked the Reeve one pieces and have owned several over the years.

Nice review and pictures, I really want one of the CRK One piece knives, they look very nice.

thanks for that K estela , i was gonna buy one of those, but then i started on Busses and Swamprats

great write up kev..... i love that pic of you and doug ritter....:thumbup:

i need a lil' creek.....:D i have been wanting one for a long time...

Back