A little early but thought I'd let you know...

Ken C.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Staff member
Super Mod
Just wanted to let those of you whom I've had the privilege of meeting that due to vacation scheduling and the City Councils decision to cut back from 5 men to 4 men off per day per shift I will be unable to join you this year in Atlanta at the Blade Show. My wife and I have opted to take the kids up to Bar Harbor that week for a much needed family vacation. This is a done deal and there will be no way for me to make it. I hope to meet you all again in 2007.

What are you saying, that your family is more important to you than your knife knut friends !?!?!? :eek: :rolleyes: :grumpy:

Have a great vacation! :D

There is an upside to this guys....

one less guy to trip while racing to our favorite makers!!!:D

Seriously...we'll miss you (if I get to go) and the family is more important.

That's too bad on the reduction of manpower. What kind of apparatus are the cuts being taken out on?Two years back, they cut our squad from 4 to 2 and combined an engine and truck to one Quint, further reducing another 2 men per shift.Councils everywhere just don't get it, do they? Cuts to the service hurt in so many different ways and it shows every day on the street. Be safe and Merry Christmas.

flipe8 said:
That's too bad on the reduction of manpower. What kind of apparatus are the cuts being taken out on?Two years back, they cut our squad from 4 to 2 and combined an engine and truck to one Quint, further reducing another 2 men per shift.Councils everywhere just don't get it, do they? Cuts to the service hurt in so many different ways and it shows every day on the street. Be safe and Merry Christmas.

I'm interpreting that Ken's department will actually be plus one per shift, if the maximum number of personnel (4 instead of 5) are off.

All of us involved in emergency services have endured cutbacks, closed stations, and reduced company manpower. It sucks, yes, but the reality is that it is easy for council/ commissioners to cut out manpower because we are the most expensive to maintain. Yes, when cuts happen, it jeaopordizes our citizens safety, but when presented with facts, the citizens opt not to pass that levy, or support higher taxes for public safety. However, these are the first citizens who cry foul when it takes us an extra two minutes to arrive on scene because we had to travel a longer distance.

It is a no win situation for everyone.

Ken,
sorry I missed you last year. I do plan to attend Blade this year, but will come back early Sunday morning.If you are driving up to Bar Harbor, your route should take you right past Chez Shaldag. If you get the timing right on the way there or back, why not stop in for a dram of fine malt and a steak? Our daughters are the same age-- it could be a great deal of fun-- and we have room for you to crash if you want. Feel free to PM, I'll give you my number, and we can set it up.

I feel your pain Ken. I too can't make it next year. Money will be tight. I'm busting my hump trying to expand my knifemaking business with a shop to be built in the future. Sure will miss the fun. Hopefully another year.
Scott

I don't know, Ken, you aren't looking to well in early June. I'm no doctor, but I'd recommend a sick day or two. ;)

Oops, sorry:eek: I misread and was assuming Ken was talking cutbacks.Code 3, it's true everywhere in these times and it certainly has become disheartening in many ways. Especially when cities(like mine) have special needs. You plug away as best you can, but when the cuts are costing lives and extreme property loss, it's a tough pill to swallow.Anyways, I'll pay a little better attention to future threads before purging from the mouth.:foot:
Pete

I was talking to someone in our town who was annoyed about the Fire Department and I mentioned that, after all, these guys were all volunteers ... he was surprised, he had no idea, he didn't know there was any such thing as volunteer firemen.

With this sort of grasp of reality, it's no wonder even the paid departments don't get much understanding.

Atlanta is a very good place for a family vacation, you know... though perhaps not the way you do Bladeshow.

Gollnick said:
Atlanta is a very good place for a family vacation, you know... though perhaps not the way you do Bladeshow.

That's exactly what the wife said when I suggested making it a family trip.....

when is the blade show in atlanta? never been to one and would like to go.
i'm only a couple hours away. any info would be appreciated. thank you.
randy

Mike is going to be dissapointed, he had all those freebies to give you :p

Sorry to hear you won't be there. Maybe next go round

there's the zoo!! Send the family there and get yourself to Blade!!

FREEBIES :eek:
Tom had better increase his meds...
CU next year Ken

Have fun in Bar Harbor. There's a cool little knife shop up there with a good selection, so keep an eye out :cool:

Back