A little New York splendor(lotsa pics)

My wife, son and I went to Letchworth State Park last night just before sunset, and I got some good pictures to share with you guys.
If you're not familiar with it(which I'm sure most of you aren't),Letchworth State Park is based around a gorge that the Genesee River flows through. Miles and miles of trails, a few hundred square miles of wilderness, and BREATHTAKING views. All accented by 70+ year old stone work(walls, paths, stairs, etc.) installed by the post-depression era Civilian Conservation Corps.
If you are ever in New York Stae, it's worth the drive to spend a day(or more) here. I always feel fortunate to have grown up next door to such a great place.

letchworth017.jpg

letchworth001.jpg

letchworth002.jpg

letchworth004.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/rogerwolcott/letchworth006.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/rogerwolcott/letchworth010.jpghttp://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/rogerwolcott/letchworth007.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]
letchworth012.jpg

letchworth014.jpg

letchworth016.jpg

This is a picture of the middle falls, upper falls and rairoad trestle(formerly the worlds largest wooden bridge until it burned) from the "tea tables" area.
letchworth007.jpg

Looks like you found some great scenery there. I'd like to make a trip down there some time :cool:

Hi,
Many years ago, lived in Lima, NY and always LOVED Letchworth--thanks for the pics!

It looks like a beautiful place! Thanks for sharing pix with us.

I was born and raised in Geneseo, NY myself. Those pictures show you why they call Letchworth "the Grand Canyon of the East"...

Wowsers, I didn't know there were deer in New York! The pictures are beautiful, thanks for posting them! Lol, I guess my only vision of New York is sky scrapers and roads. I really never thought about there being beautiful places like Letchworth State Park up there!

Yeah NY rocks, I am more than proud to live here, and yes there is another NY other than the city.

That's right, L6, once you get north of PA, New York is all corn fields(or as the Seneca indians called it, maze), woods, lakes and vineyards. What a perfect place...sorry, I drifted off there for a second.

That's not entirely true. We have plenty of "depressed" areas(New York has taken to calling them Empire Zones for tax breaks), ie; the entire southern tier. A shame, really, since that is where the entire knife industry in New York has historically centered around. We are also seeing alot of urban sprawl around Rochester. Not on the lines of Los Angeles, but sprawl into farm land and wilderness none the less. Buffalo is an economic wasteland, frought with corruption.

I like it where I live, however. Small town(pop. 5000) in Wyoming county, which is #1 in the state for agriculture. Woo-hoo! We can leave our doors open all the time and the only things that get in are bugs. Corn fields and probably 4 times as many cows as people.

But not a knife store in site. Dammit.

Thanks for the pics. Webster NY here ! Love Letchworth also. But calling it the Grand Canyon of the East, well that always made me laugh . I have been to and hiked and camped in the Grand Canyon a few times Letxhworth is not one tenth as cool as the canyon.....

We (15 roch. firefighters) have 3 cabins rented for bow season in Letchworth can't wait !!!

And yes NYC is a tiny tiny spot in the corner of NYS and not anything like the rest of the state .

Back