Photos A little TLC for a Cheapie 8 inch beater

SOWOLL_8_INCH_SASHIMI_FRONT.jpg

SOWOLL_8_INCH_SASHIMI_BACK.jpg

SOWOLL_8_INCH_SASHIMI_BRANDING.jpg

A chefie friend gave me a Chinese budget knife that was mis-ground and abused so I had a little go at it when I had the spare time just to get it functional again.It was going to go in the bin so I thought sod it - sort it out for the junior chefs to use at the restaurant.
Originally it was a Sowoll brand 8 inch sashimi in a high carbon stainless at HRC-58 and had a narrow bezel on one side - I reground it to make it wider. I also unbranded it by polishing the laser etching off it using just a #1000 grit diamond whetstone - nothing else.
Because I had to remove about a sixteenth of an inch thick of metal - it took months to do and loads of patience.
Also it looks like somebody had a serious go on the back of the blade with an electric grinder which is usually deadly for a single bezel knife but I managed to sort it out eventually.It was about 1/6th of an inch thick and 7 ounces so not terrible quality for a $11 knife.
Not pretty but it`s usable at least.I could refine it more with polishing but it`s not worth the time and trouble really because it has permanent scars from being mistreated and probably will be again.At least it had a second chance to be functional.
It was just like stroking a cat - I love sharpening allsorts of things

Last edited:
Back