A little work in process

Thanks guys and Rayban, you're not alone I think...

As to leather weight, the top section is 6/7 oz and the second layer
is 7/8 oz as well as the belt loop section, as you can see they
are a little heavier than the top section.

I run HOT water over the leather until it feels pliable and then I use
that bone folder, the plastic rod you see in the images above, to press
TIGHTLY around the knife, as you work from one side to the next, you
must keep the one side you just pressed, in place, otherwise it will pull
the leather as you go to form the otherside, so you are holding down
the work you've formed while you are pressing very hard along the other side.

the white plastic piece on the right hand side is what I use to shape around the knife
the other side is more pointed and thin, I use that to burnish the groove I put at the
opening of the sheaths.
IMG_0264.jpg

It takes a while to do these, as I will repeatedly work the leather as it goes
through the drying process, about every 1/2 hour or so I'll put the knife back
under the leather and work it again. At the start I wrap the knife with plastic wrap
to prevent moisture from weeping into the knife, later on as the leather is closer to
drying, I'll remove that plastic and work with just the knife beneath the leather.

In this way, I find the leather has a lot of the Give taken out so it will retain it a
bit longer than if you just sewed on a piece and then tried to shape it after the fact
you later end up with a loose pouch that didn't retain it's shape.

This way, you pull, press and make the leather conform and afterwards you have a
nice solidly formed top section.

The vertical sheaths are a different animal, but still similar with shaping, they are more
like leather oragami, one piece wrapped around and over the back for the flap and
hand sewn along the bottom.

Hope that helps, just had to order some more hides today, running out!
I don't order all that often, but when I do, I use Wickett-Craig
they have very consistent quality with their hides!

G2

Hey Gary, the more I see your technique the more I go back in time. :) Every time I feel like I am the only one that does things the way I do all I have to do is go back to your tutorials and finished product. Theres a kinship there that seemed to come indirect, or from some broken knife called a balisong. ;)

Thanks for the pick me up, I needed it badly,

Yours in nuclear leatherworking,
Dwayne

No, I'm not back, but always reading. :p When they gonna make you MOD my friend!!!!????? You deserve it more than any other.

Hey there Dwayne! thanks sir and you know, I still have a few pieces of snake skin
in an envelope you sent me lo these many years ago, very kind of you to do so too!

As to being a mod, I travel way too much right now to be of help, maybe later on when
I am home more often, maybe.

G2

And here is a final shot, quickly taken a few moments ago;

IMG_0276.jpg

G2

Thaanks for th extra info!:thumbup:I really do appreciate when someone takes the extra time to fullly explain somthing to someone still in the learning curve. I have got try your technique on my next sheath.
One more question when you are wetting the leather t be able to work it, are you wetting the entire piece of just the finish or rough side?
Once again absolutely great work!

Glad to help and as to wetting the leather, it's both sides for a few minutes
until it's pliable under hot water. They do make some stuff that is suppose to
make it more supple, got some of that but don't use it, this has worked well so far.
Thanks,
G2

Thanks Nick, hopefully these will arrive by Saturday!
G2

Oooh, I love this thread!! Thank you for doing that. Those sheaths are fantastic.

Thanks for the walk through, Gary. The tutorial you posted a while back was very helpful, and this gave me even more tips. Very classy work and very helpful tutorials - thanks!

Dave

thanks Suz and Dave, there is some overlap but figured to do this as a standalone
but didn't include all from the other, as that's another one that has a lot of good tips too, shown here
Not professional images obviously, taken as catch can sort of thing as I'm going through
the processes, so pardon the quality and focus on content ;)
G2

Last edited:
Gary I am watching for the post man . Should be here today. I have the last one you did on my belt so this should be a G2 kinda day

Great Joe, remember that Szabofly has that arch to it so what how it's drawn out
the one horn worked well for retention too!
G2

Gary they are fantastic the fit is perfect and the quality outstanding . I will be sending you the Twirl Design that we spoke of.. thanks so much

Excellent and very generous tutorial Gary. :)

Fantastic pics as usual.

Nice to see the inside handiwork of a true craftsman!

Very good Joe, and thanks ADD hope it will help,
G2

I just took delivery of G2's Case/Bose dog leg jack. The sheath he crafted is second to none. The sheath will serve me well for pocket or belt carry.
Job well done G2.

Thanks Art, wear that in excellent health sir, nice knife, very nice
one that will be dearly missed too!
G2

Back