A long hiatus

BP_

Platinum Member
Hey all. Back after a long hiatus. Took some time with the family, some time for myself, and time to just enjoy life. It’s been a great fall/winter, and was a pretty productive summer. I hope all is well here on the forums, I’ve missed chatting with you guys.

Question: can you guys school me on the 116? It’s a nice looking little knife that I think would fit just perfectly in my daily/weekend mix with a little custom sheath. I see a Klinkhamer (sp?) on the big bay that I really like, but I don’t even know where to begin on pricing. I also see a few with custom handles that are limited editions (that apparently were just released and I missed it), not sure how I feel about them in hand (never held one before) but I do like the size of the blade and the modified clip.

Thanks in advance. It’s good to be back. I look forward to chatting it up regularly again. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The 116 Caper is a great knife. The design came from Les Bowman as a modified 118. Bowman was a well known outfitter from Cody, Wyoming. Originally, he was an aviator- aircraft engineer and also was involved in creation of the 7 mm Remington magnum cartridge. I think the knife you have been looking at is way overpriced.

Bert

can you guys school me on the 116?
The 116 is a caping knife. It is used to skin around delicate places, eyes, antlers/horn, ears, nose and teeth and gum when preparing an animal for taxidermy. Of course, it can and will be used in other endeavors. HTH

Thank you for the information. That’s pretty cool, actually. To have a knife made based on your “prototype” those were the good old days.

I agree the one I saw was overpriced. I just didn’t know what the market looked like, or their availability. It seems like I’ve seen several handle variations that are different sizes/thickness as well.

There are two series of the Klink Special. Each series was made up of the nine models in the 100 Series. One-hundred knives of each model were made for each series. The 116 you have been looking at is from the first series.

Bert

Anyone here have a full set? I think it would be cool to see.

I think those Klinkhamer variations are out of my price range if the one I saw was any indication. I’d like one to use. But they sure are pretty (I also really like the size of the handle- seems a bit “smaller” in dimensions than standard. Could just be the light/angle though). Are there any other options?

Welcome back. I have a full set of both handle variations. Going to be busy for a few days so might be this weekend before I can dig them out for pictures. Maybe this coming Sunday Picture Show.

That would be an excellent submission on Sunday :thumbsup: Thank you for being willing to do that, sir. I certainly appreciate it.

Howdy BP, I'm going to be the dissenter here. I just have never cared for the 116 in any type of use. just my clever thought of the day...

Glad to see you around again.

Pete

Reactions: BP_
That is a good looking knife. Thanks for sharing. I think they are just neat little blades. That one sure is pretty :thumbsup:

Thanks, Pete. Glad to be back :):thumbsup:

I have been contemplating the Open Season series caper, but really dont care for the 116.

These aren't regular catalog items anymore, are they. I've seen some in the Limited Edition on the Buck site from time to time though. I don't own one (yet).

Welcome back!

It is odd looking for stag. But it came from Buck as stag.

No not regular production. But they seem to release them fairly often.

I bought mine as part of sets but have never carried or used them. They would not be my first choice to carry. And I’m not sure if they’d even be good capers. The guards would get in the way.

BP_ BP_ If you haven’t seen the 117 or the 212 they are both newer releases that are great smallish knives.

Last edited:
eveled eveled I do like the 117. It’s a nice little knife that comes in handy on a regular basis.
I am not sold on the 212 yet. There is just something about it’s shape that doesn’t do it for me. But still a nice knife nonetheless.
I just think those 116’s are interesting. That clipper variation was pretty cool, too.

Back