Photos a MAJOR reason why I love INFI

PeteyTwoPointOne

Platinum Member
Here's the tip of an Extraction Unit 17, not sure what unit it was extracting when it suffered this deformation, although I've done this <and worse> on my own before, I was not the operator ;):p in this particular instance...

note the characteristic edge deformation...it's what INFI does when it contacts "harder than INFI" under a substantial force :thumbsup::

QldaDyx.jpg

02Z4Dfm.jpg

JoqTvLj.jpg

I call this shot "the unicorn" :p :
iMb5WHT.jpg

I started with "steeling" the edge with my old soft screwdriver shaft...

Then moved on to Spyderco med. benchstone...

Then Spyderco white rods...

got it to this point <literally>:
ex9Qe7c.jpg

edge on, I noticed under extreme iPhone magnification some light still reflecting back at me from the apex:
hkytQAW.jpg

back to the fine Sharpmaker rods with the following results, better, but still not there:
QMsoLxn.jpg

better yet, I pushed the little burr a bit more distally toward the tip:
rN7zJYn.jpg

this is where I stopped... the black blob is mildew schmutz left over from where I stabbed my deck post for the last pic below :
mrq3Yqt.jpg

just the tip, pretty clean profile :cool: :
kRLR9pa.jpg

I'm gonna strop her with green compound tonite after supper, but even withholding that, the point is now the keenest part of the edge.

I can't say it enough >>> how much I love the way INFI grinds with ceramic, it's a very satisfying sensation, I'd compare it to carving the Easter ham. :D

I did all that with just barely darkening my white Sharpmaker rods and leaving a few gray streaks on the medium benchstone...I feel like I really was able to conserve a lot of steel after re-adusting the apex...that's not been my experience with just any old steel. ;)

Last edited:
It's been way too long since I've enjoyed deforming any INFI, and then seeing how quickly and easily it comes back to sharp and in place. Although even as I service my other knives these days, INFI remains the benchmark in terms of performancen to ease of repair and maintenance ratio. Some of the newer Nitrogen alloys get close, but INFI and Jerry were a good 30ish years ahead of the curve.

PS- hey guys! I gotta get myself another Busse!

Of course you Do:cool:....But that's like Preaching to the Choir;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Heheh you speak truth!

I literally just sent a PM making an offer on a a very EDC friendly looking Busse classic that I never got to try back when I was really chasing after INFI, so fingers crossed I'll have one by my side again real soon!

Heheh you speak truth!

I literally just sent a PM making an offer on a a very EDC friendly looking Busse classic that I never got to try back when I was really chasing after INFI, so fingers crossed I'll have one by my side again real soon!
You still Kickin' it in Meheco....Yeah I think most here are on the Hunt for "The One"...always Looking and hoping:D

You still Kickin' it in Meheco....Yeah I think most here are on the Hunt for "The One"...always Looking and hoping:D

I don't think the hunt ever ends, INFI and beyond! And not so sure I would want the hunt to end either.

I lurk here every once in a while and this thread echoed some comments I made in a different knife group just yesterday so I figured I'd say hello.

It's actually real nice to see so many familiar people still hanging around these parts! It's a huge breath of fresh air, in contrast with some of the weirdness I seem to encounter almost daily in the world of knife collecting outside of bladeforums and the green forum.

And to answer your question, I moved back from Mexico (again) early summer 2018 and it's looking like I'll be back for a good while as wifey gets ready to start osteopath school. Came back and decided to finish some unfinished business and so glad to be back...

Really hoping I can work a deal out on the one that caught my eye!

Back