A milestone day.

Ken C.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Staff member
Super Mod
Today marks the beginning of my 12th year as a professional firefighter. The past 11 years have gone by so quick. I am now one of several senior men on my shift. I have seen things that no man should see. I have done things that no man should do. I have saved lives and I have watched people die right before my eyes. I have lived through the injuries, the lose of my brethren, and the pain and heartache that comes with it. I have seen joy when a life a has been saved and I have enjoyed the smiles from the kids who look up to us....especially my daughters.

It is not a job but a way of life for me. I hope the next 13 years goes just as well.

Congrats, Ken.

It is indeed a way of life.

Here's to your health and safety for the next 13.

ALWAYS wear that SCBA, and always remember to buckle up. Way too many LODD's from traffic accidents while enroute.

Thanks for all that you do.

My brother-in-law is a captain in South San Francisco FD.
I occasionally hear stories.
My hat is off to you.

Before two years ago, I never much thought about firefighters or what exactly they did.

Before two years ago, I never knew the services firefighters performed or the risks they faced every day.

Two years ago, my house caught fire in the dead of night from a candle left carelessly burning. I woke up to the shrill scream of the smoke alarm and the air thick with acrid smoke. After getting my twin 5 year olds, wife and dog out of the house, I punched in 911 and sat across the street watching helplessly as the flames burst out the office window. A few minutes later, 14 fire engines descended upon my street and my education began.

The first thing that happened was that several firefighters asked me if everyone was accounted for. Yes. Even my dog had made it out safely. I watched as these men made their way into the burning house. 3 Men were suddenly on the roof chainsawing holes in the roof (in the dark!) and directing a stream of water to quench the flames in the attic. Another firefighter came out the front door with my soot-covered dog...huh? He had gone back into the burning house through the doggy door and the firefighter had found him hiding in my bedroom. Other firefighters were in the fully engulfed office heaving files (some burning!) out onto the front yard because they looked important. (they were) Other firefighters were collecting framed photographs and artwork from the walls inside and placing them out of harm's way in the front yard. An hour or two later, the fire was deemed extinguished and we were invited inside to see if there was anything we could salvage for the night. Inside, we saw that the firefighters had gone into each room, thrown things into a pile in the center of the room and covered it with a tarp to protect them from water/smoke damage. They had done so much to try and save my property and had done all that inside a burning house literally filled with lung-searing burning plastic smelling black smoke!

A woman firefighter had stayed behind with my two kids while my wife and I had gone into my house to examine the remains and when we returned, she had given each of them a stuffed bear and was comforting them. My son was so comfortable he was asleep!

After that experience, I am truly thankful for the service and sacrifice that these men and women make, and I know firsthand the difference that they can make in peoples' lives.

Thank you for making a difference, Ken! Stay safe! :)

Best regards,

Nick

Congrats Ken!! Thank you for your service!! God bless you.

My brother is a volunteer fire fighter.

Congrats Sir,
You have my utmost respect (even when I call ya "Calooch":D) for the work that you do. Keep up the good work, and keep your six safe.

I've had the occasion to call the fire dept about four times, they have always been courteous and professional. Good Job Ken!

One of the unnoticed unsung heroes until the hot stuff hits the fan. Where I live it is an all volunteer (well, there might be one paid chief and one paid firefighter) crew. A couple years ago I had smelled a funky odor when I arrived home around 4 pm. I had investigated thoroughly and not found anything but about 4 am the smoke alarms went off. Got up, got out, didn't see anything but this crew of neighbors all got out of bed to come check the place and make sure all was ok.

Now I blow out the smoke detectors with "dust off" when I change the batteries every year.

Ken - thanks.

Back