A mysterious SAK tool

An oft asked question!

And pull out wire tent pegs :thumbup:

Sorry to disagree, but it wasn't designed as a gut-hook, useful as such things are :thumbup: The Parcel Hook was only added to SAKs by Victorinox in 1991. It does have its uses, but personally I'm not a fan.

I could be wrong about its use, I've always heard them called a gut hook, and they were on/in sportsman's knives prior to, and after 1900, not always configured in a way conducive to carrying a package from the butcher.

I will shut up and go back under my rock now.

Well, I certainly have some ideas now. Unfortunately, my wife bought those reusable bags, so I can't use it at the grocery store. I like the bike chain and pot handle ideas. I never would have thought of the spring puller idea, either.

Meako, that comic strip is hilarious.

Well, you're not entirely wrong, I recall having a Buck trapper pattern with a hook in place of a spey blade many years ago, and that is what it was for. But it folded out on the end rather than out of the middle of the back the way the SAK hook does, and it was much longer. Not sure you'd be able to use the SAK hook that way.

I could be wrong about its use, I've always heard them called a gut hook, and they were on/in sportsman's knives prior to, and after 1900, not always configured in a way conducive to carrying a package from the butcher.

I will shut up and go back under my rock now.

I thought that it might be a gut hook, but I always thought those were larger. Never used one.

Well, I certainly have some ideas now. Unfortunately, my wife bought those reusable bags, so I can't use it at the grocery store. I like the bike chain and pot handle ideas. I never would have thought of the spring puller idea, either.

Meako, that comic strip is hilarious.

Yes its a personal favourite of mine. So much going on in one simple picture that makes me laugh.Ben and Vera, the concept of a Rottweiler 'farm',the look on DBs face, the anticipation in the rottweilers silhouettes,Bob dozing on the porch and the very porch itself.
Larson had a great way with ink and wit. Whatever happened to Larson.?

There are Bird Hooks:

BO00413.jpg

Gut Hooks:

31eV6b6vRcL.jpg

Button Hooks:

130477125983.jpg

And Parcel Hooks:

Victorinox-Compact-Hook-and-Corkscrew.jpg

:thumbup:

Attachments

• 31eV6b6vRcL.jpg
    31eV6b6vRcL.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 9
I think my mini-champ has a sharpened hook which may be contributing some confusion. I'll dig it out and check

Hard to follow that Randy.
I was under the impression the SAK hook was used for tightening the laces on ice skates.

Does a bird hook -hook the guts out of game birds? obviously a more delicate operation than a large beast of some sort.

Here's the knife from Wes Anderson's movie. I suspect it is a Victorinox Swiss army knife that has been modified for the movie.

There are Bird Hooks:

Gut Hooks:

Button Hooks:

And Parcel Hooks:

Thank you, that helps. :thumbup:

I think my mini-champ has a sharpened hook which may be contributing some confusion. I'll dig it out and check

I think that's a string cutter. I use it to open clamshell packages.

Hard to follow that Randy.
I was under the impression the SAK hook was used for tightening the laces on ice skates.

Another use I hadn't thought of. I could see it being useful anytime you're pulling something thin like twine or lacing. I hate when I'm carrying a bucket or plastic shopping bags and the thin handle puts pressure on the inside of my finger joint. :eek:

Does a bird hook -hook the guts out of game birds? obviously a more delicate operation than a large beast of some sort.
I have some friends who hunt dove, and I believe so. I can ask next time I talk to them. I imagine you don't want to puncture the intestines when dressing the birds, so you pull them out.

I've always went with the parcel/package hook. They still use string and twine in Europe to bind packages, and if you have ever used it, it works very well for that purpose. Whether or not it started out as a gut hook will probably never be known.

Jack Black nailed it!! NICE!!!

Thank you, that helps. :thumbup:

Yes, there are numerous online guides on how to use one :thumbup:

Whether or not it started out as a gut hook will probably never be known.

The Victorinox gutting blade was quite different. The parcel hook was never a gut hook, it would not function well as one I don't think :thumbup:

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Hook

You reach the hook through the button hole, and pull the button through.

Back