A new Budda?

:confused: Found this today sounds promising. Al

Thousands celebrate teen as new Buddha
By Thomas Bell
LONDON DAILY TELEGRAPH
Published November 22, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BARA DISTRICT, Nepal -- Thousands of pilgrims are pouring into the dense jungle of southern Nepal to worship a 15-year-old boy who has been hailed as a new Buddha.
Devotees say that Ram Bomjon, who is meditating silently beneath a tree, has not eaten or had anything to drink since he sat down at his chosen spot six months ago.
Witnesses say they have seen light emanating from the teenager's forehead.
"It looks a bit like when you shine a [flashlight] through your hand," said Tek Bahadur Lama, a member of the committee responsible for dealing with the growing number of visitors from India and elsewhere in Nepal.
Photographs of Ram, available for about 10 cents from his makeshift shrine, have become ubiquitous across the region. "Far and wide, it's the only topic of conversation," said Upendra Lamichami, a local journalist.
He said no claim had emerged of Ram breaking his fast or moving, even to relieve himself.
Santa Raj Subedi, the chief government official in Bara District, appealed to the capital, Katmandu, for assistance in dealing with the influx of visitors, and for a team of scientists to examine the case.
Local doctors failed to reach a final conclusion, although they were allowed no closer than five yards from the boy mystic, declaring that they could confirm no more than that he was alive.
The phenomenon has gained popularity partly because it resembles an episode in the life of the historical Buddha, who was born 160 miles away about 543 B.C. The Buddha achieved enlightenment when he meditated beneath a sacred pipal tree for 49 days.
Ram also is sitting beneath a pipal tree, in the same posture as the Buddha is depicted, but his vigil has taken longer.
Ram's mother, who is called Maya Devi, like the Buddha's mother, acknowledges anxiety, particularly at mealtimes, but she tells herself: "God took him to the forest and I have faith that God will feed him."
"He's definitely got thinner," she said. "Early in the morning he looks sunken, like there's no blood in him, but as the sun rises he seems to get brighter and brighter."
The fervor increased last week when a snake is said to have bitten Ram, and a curtain was drawn around him.
After five days it was opened and he spoke. "Tell the people not to call me a Buddha. I don't have the Buddha's energy. I am at the level of rinpoche [lesser divinity]. A snake bit me but I do not need treatment. I need six years of deep meditation."
Despite his protestations, "Buddha boy" is famous.
A thriving market has grown in the once pristine forest, supplying pilgrims with everything from chewing tobacco and bicycle repairs to incense and religious amulets. The ground is covered with litter.
A fence was built around Ram's tree to prevent pilgrims from prodding him, then a second, and now a third is planned, as well as a bus park, leaving Ram at the center of an ever-growing circle of commerce.

Wow! I'd love to see that. Meditation is a powerful thing. I've gotta learn more.

Andy

Not eaten or drank anything for six months?

I do believe that you would attain a state called "dead", not enlightenment. I'm not discounting the entire story, I wasn't there, but....

One thing to remember is that Buddha never claimed to be a god.

Good way to get out of high school though ya gotta admit.;)

I checked on snopes and this isn't in their database. I also did a google search and found it on more than one paper.

Andy

"Rinpoche" is probably not best translated to Western in terms of a deity. All of the monks I've heard lecture use the title, which some in the West translate as "saint".

If you think it's hard meditating for six months without eating or drinking, just imagine what a distraction the crowds of "pilgrims" have become.

And what kind of religious fervor leaves litter behind?

Humans. :rolleyes:

MauiRob said:
I do believe that you would attain a state called "dead"....

HE'S A ZOMBIE!

unpack the holy ball-peen hammers and the blessed kukhries! we have a mission from God!

Seriously, I thought that a reincarnated Buddha was found soon after the old Buddha dies. ISnt that wah tthe Dalai Lama is?
Im obviously no Buddhism expert, but this is pretty interesting.

500 years from now, people, this boy will be revered as a God.

This thinking depends on which branch of Buddhism is involved. Many Buddhists believe in a mix of Gautama's teachings and their own culture's earlier pagan customs. This is similar to Catholicism taking the Gospels, overlaying them with Imperial Roman bureaucratic habits and adding in Germanic folk customs.

In Tibetan Buddhism, the leadership derives from reincarnated gods. But in other cultures, an Enlightened Person can arise at any time, and may turn out to be an incarnation of a god not previously known for doing so.

Buddhism essentially doesn't need to believe in gods, only in the unavoidable reality of an uncaring universe, which we can only surmount with humility and understanding.

But folkways thrive on spectacle. :(

texalp said:
After five days it was opened and he spoke. "Tell the people not to call me a Buddha. I don't have the Buddha's energy. I am at the level of rinpoche [lesser divinity]. A snake bit me but I do not need treatment. I need six years of deep meditation."
Despite his protestations, "Buddha boy" is famous.
A thriving market has grown in the once pristine forest, supplying pilgrims with everything from chewing tobacco and bicycle repairs to incense and religious amulets. The ground is covered with litter.
A fence was built around Ram's tree to prevent pilgrims from prodding him, then a second, and now a third is planned, as well as a bus park, leaving Ram at the center of an ever-growing circle of commerce.

Yes, the commercial activity and the prodding can be a problem.

I myself have not eaten or drunk anything for the last 10 years. I only pretend to do so to avoid the distracting throngs. My annoying habits and rudeness are similar guises to prevent the masses from recognising my holiness.

But then, I'm not Buddha yet either, with his ability to withstand the distractions of Mara. I'm only a minor diety at this point.

;)

Gentlemen, this confirms our worst fears; the Zombie contagion is world wide.

>>>>>>>>>>>

I meditated in a field once. After a couple hours, the local Coyote pack came by and yelled at me.
I thought that was cool.

>>>>>>>>>>

It's almost too bad all the BS and hype are attached to the young man. He may actually be something or someone on a quest that has meaning beyond the crowd and popcorn.

munk

He must be a Saint.

When my blood sugar level drops I become a real cranky A&&hole....LOL!!!!!:D

Before alexander there was no concept of man as god in the religions of the east and near east. alexander declared he was the son of zeus-amun* after a visit to a holy oracle in the desert west of the nile in egypt, the macedonian/greek conquest of those areas by him influenced not only the buddhists, who took alex's deification into buddhism, but also influenced the romans who took the whole greek pantheon on board & deified their emperors. it also permeated into judism, where the concept of greek teachers was translated into "rabbi's". the ultimate influence was on the descendant religions of judaism, christianity, with the concept of the son of god being firmly entrenched by alexander's example, and on islam, where mohammad, while never actually deified or referred to as such, occupies much the same level of glamour.

*- alexander's "father", phillip, would frequently say he was not his son as he looked nothing like the dark-haired short & stocky phillip. his mother was known to attend orgiastic celebrations before (& after) alex was conceived. in fact phiilip had repudiated her & took a new wife & had a new son and heir just before he was murdered, but before he could fill out all the paperwork to depose alex & mom. most people are sure mom had him terminated, the new wife & son also disappear from history...

who knows what the world would have been like without his angst over his iffy parentage, if they'd had DNA testing back then.

What about the aincient pharos. They were considered "gods" I thought.

Andy

Back