A new era at the Horton shop?????????

randucci

Stag pocket/slip joint collector
Platinum Member
J, start watching for the Mailman!!!!! :eek:

DSC_0010-13.jpg

Very cool randucci!
Lemme ask,
what does a bigger wheel let you do that a smaller one wont?
is it just faster for grinding or something?

Hollow grinds that don't go so deep. I use a 8" for all my combo chisel work. This will be a awesome wheel for double chisel blades

Hollow grinds that don't go so deep. I use a 8" for all my combo chisel work. This will be a awesome wheel for double chisel blades

Ah Ha!
the lightbulb just went on!
Now I see how its done,
so the arc of the wheel is how the "bevel" is put
into the blade....
small wheel = small arc = deep bevel ... something like that
coo

(i originally thought that it was done on one of those milling machines)

FUG. That's right. I sometimes take out a bit of meat on a angle with the mill on thick blades. Before heat treat. But other than that. Everything is hand ground

Yeah. You see when hollow grind plus .250 stock in a chisels it's fine. But if I were to try a double hg blade. The middle of the bevel gets very thin in the middle. Which would make very prone to breakage under abuse. And that sucks

It could be done. But the edge would always have to be left kinda thick. Cut radius short on grind. And yes. Its ground on both sides. But shit. And some people wouldn't even care as long as it looked nice. But. I try not to play that game. Lol

Well im just saying I could. And I will do some. Im very interested in it for trying combo chisel nearly full height on thin stock.

^ Yes!!! :thumbup: I really like the way you're going, J.
Have I already confessed I'd fallen in love with your chisel grounds? Recently, I found out I'm not using symmetricly ground knives. Almost. Just for slicing bread.

Back