A new project started.

Discussion in 'Hanson Knives' started by Scott Hanson, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    New project finished! Sheaths are finished, just need to do the final buffing, sharpening then out the door to the new owners. Then on to the next build.
    IMG_3723.jpeg IMG_3716.jpeg IMG_3711.jpeg IMG_3715.jpeg IMG_3710.jpeg IMG_3721.jpeg IMG_3714.jpeg

2. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner / lessismore Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    Epic work Scott!

3. jlauffer

jlauffer Tempt not the Blade Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Gorgeous as usual! But I haz a question: the handles seem to flare quite a bit as they join up to the guards, more so than your others that I've seen. Curious why?

Scott Hanson likes this.
  4. Scott Hanson

Sep 6, 2014
    Yes, and good question, I'll be happy to answer. I have never seen the original knife in person, I made all of the previous replicas from photos I could find on line and in Sheldon's book. It wasn't until a year and a half or two years ago that I acquired high quality photos, from the current owner of the original knife Arthur Green, with straight on view and a ruler laid next to them that I really started taking note of the flare before the guard myself. The blades are all made from the same template that I made and the spacer pattern has been standardized with as close as I can figure G-10 and various nickel, copper and brass spacers. The wild card left is finding the right size and shape crown, that has been a challenge lately, and crowns have be getting pretty expensive lately, I've seen some they wanted $300.00 for.

This is one of the photos I got from Arthur Green that I modeled these two replicas from. So yes, there is quite a notable flare toward the guard.

IMG_3907 copy.jpeg

jlauffer likes this.
  5. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner / lessismore Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    ^Great example of one of the many reasons why Scott is my favorite Maker. Besides being a good dude, he's also one of the most professional and detailed guys I know.

jlauffer, Scott Hanson and Mack like this.
  6. Scott Hanson

Sep 6, 2014
    Thanks John.