A newbie to Emersons

Hello all, I have just bought a CQC7BW online and so far I like it. I have a few questions on Emersons in general and would be grateful for your advice/comments.

1. The knife has a back spacer. I read here that the newer models have standoffs in them. So I presume the knife I bought is an older version? (I should add that actually I like the back spacer, it seems to give a solid feeling to the knife. I have not seen the standoff version in person.)

2. I have no complaints on the fit and finish, but one thing that gives me an uneasy feeling is the very small contact area between the lock and the knife tang. It looks as if the lock just barely touches the tang and a small displacement of the lock will cause the knife to fold over and close. The lockup is solid at the moment but the small contact area is a little scary. I hope this is normal in Emersons?

3. When many other knife companies are experimenting with all kinds of new super steels why is it that Emerson still insist on using 154CM? Is it for cost reasons? Do they have plans to try other steels in future?

Thanks!

What you are describing is an early lockup, and that is highly desirable to a lot of knife nuts (like me). It will gradually "move" to a more advanced percentage as it wears in. It's a good thing. Also, "hard" opening (such as "waving" it open) will often result in a later lockup.

Only Mr. E can truly answer the bladesteel question, but he appears very confident in his choice. I have had nothing but great results from my (considerable) use of Emerson blades.

Yes, you have the older version. Backspacer models are fine and will last you forever.

The lock will break in and move over after a few hundered opening/closings.

Steel won't change. 154cm is a tough steel that can be sharpened in the field. It's just the way it is.

Congrats on the purchase!

Enjoy your knife. You will come to love it as-is.
Emerson uses 154cm just as Hartsfield used A2... these are fantastic knife steels.
Welcome.
rolf

... Steel won't change. 154cm is a tough steel that can be sharpened in the field. It's just the way it is...

A lot of us actually prefer steels like 154CM and A2. They're known commodities that have been around for a while. People that use knives with these steels know what to expect from them and how to maintain them. The makers that use them know how to do the HT and the blade grinds that get the most out of the knife they're designing, and they're very easy to maintain in difficult circumstances. The fact that Emerson designs his knives to be tools first and foremost is what attracts a lot of us to his products.

Eventually some folks'll come along and tell you that Emersons are a bad value for your money because he could be using XXX super steel like other companies do and those knives are a better value. Not to me they aren't. And I suspect that having the latest and greatest isn't much of a value point to many other Emerson owners, either. Everybody's got a better idea than Mr. E., but Mr. E keeps selling knives, he keeps a loyal following, and he keeps attracting new Emerson owners.

Hello all, I have just bought a CQC7BW online and so far I like it. I have a few questions on Emersons in general and would be grateful for your advice/comments.

1. The knife has a back spacer. I read here that the newer models have standoffs in them. So I presume the knife I bought is an older version? (I should add that actually I like the back spacer, it seems to give a solid feeling to the knife. I have not seen the standoff version in person.)

2. I have no complaints on the fit and finish, but one thing that gives me an uneasy feeling is the very small contact area between the lock and the knife tang. It looks as if the lock just barely touches the tang and a small displacement of the lock will cause the knife to fold over and close. The lockup is solid at the moment but the small contact area is a little scary. I hope this is normal in Emersons?

3. When many other knife companies are experimenting with all kinds of new super steels why is it that Emerson still insist on using 154CM? Is it for cost reasons? Do they have plans to try other steels in future?

1. Lots of people prefer the Backspacers, some don't. The solid backspacer makes the knife look cleaner, and represents additional work to assemble the knife.

2. If the lock doesn't settle in deeper on the tang after some use, send it in and they will take care of you. My Emersons' locks moved deeper at first, then stopped and haven't moved since.

3. To add to what others have said, 154CM works very well, and has for a long time, so do liner locks. Gimmicky locks and steels that don't really perform noticeably better (than 154CM) are used to sell knives with inferior designs to people who don't know any better. Emerson is one of the best knife designers, ever, his knives sell for a premium price because they work no matter what.

I agree with what everyone on here said. I have one comment on the steel.

Late last year I stuck a ZT with M390 steel vertically into a weathered 2x6 outside a buddy's house. To my dismay it chipped a small chunk out of the blade right near the tip. I could not believe it.

I went to my car, got out my CQC15 and went and stuck it into the same board about 1/4" away from where I stuck the other knife. It did not hurt it a bit. I did it 5 more times. No damage whatsoever. The ZT did not hit anything in the board, but it chipped.

Now ZT makes some fine knives, and I'll bet my 0560s with Elmax wouldn't be damaged either. But something has to be said for the 154CM that is used in Emerson knives. It is a proven steel and I'll use it anytime without fear.

And boy did I have the blade fixed on the 0562 and sell it to a buddy fast. Shame that happened, and he knew about it before he bought it. I didn't just pass it off, that would be plain wrong.

Love him or hate em, nutnfancy on youtube has a really good interview vid with Mr Emerson from the 2014 shot show. He said he uses 154 for the reason that are posted here (its a great steel), but also because when he started out they approached him and helped him out. Its an american steel is one reason (emersons are all american products) and being loyal to those who had your back from the get go is another.

Keep on playing with that 7 and it will be broken in. One of the attractions that a lot of us have is the fact that you do have to work and play with the knife to break it in. By the time you have it at full contact lockup and smooth, you will know that knife like your own hand.

There's a thread on the change from a backspacer to standoffs over here. It seems to be an incremental process, as some models have changed to standoffs, while others still have backspacers. My 2013 CQC7BW had a backspacer. I don't think the year is always printed, but you can look under the "Emerson" logo on the blade to see if yours has the manufacturing year on it (like this).

As for the lockbar, it will wear in and start traveling a bit further over with use. As long as it is solid and secure, it should be fine.

154CM is a very good all-around blade steel. There are newer "super steels" that offer different improvements in different areas (wear resistance, corrosion resistance, toughness, etc.), and heat treatment / hardness plays a big factor too. In the end, it's really just about finding something that works well for how you use your knife. If you make a lot of slicing cuts through very abrasive materials, a thinner blade with more wear-resistant steel hardened to a higher RC might serve you better. If you find yourself stabbing hard materials regularly, a thicker blade with tougher steel at a lower RC might be better for you. As for Emerson's steel choices, he is the only one that can speak to that with any authority.

Thanks to all who took the time and answered my questions. I have learnt a lot about Emersons from your replies and am much more at ease with the lock position now. In his reply flarp said, 'In the end, it's really just about finding something that works well for how you use your knife.' I agree with this 100%.

By the way the more I carry the CQC7 the more I like it. It is not flashy, but very solid and inspires confidence. I don't regret this purchase.

I am a believer in Emerson knives. They are not perfect, but, in my opinion, the are better than anything else around. The "pros" outnumber the "cons." The "cons" are as follows:

1. I am not crazy about the chisel edge on a substantial number of Emersons, especially because they are "left handed";
2. I wish they had reversible clips. I usually carry a pistol and would prefer to carry a knife on the left. This is exacerbated by the "wave" feature as I really do not want to cut or scratch a $100+ Alessi or Sparks holster;
3. For legal reasons, I prefer a 3' or less knife, and Emerson concentrates on the larger knives. I think the only sub-3' knives are the Mini 7; the Mini A-100; and the Micro Commander. I believe that the Mini A-100 and the Micro Commander have been discontinued or produced on a very limited basis.

The "pros are:

1. 154 CM steel, for the reasons others have mentioned;
2. Liner lock. I do not like or trust the Axis lock. I find that they allow a bit of blade play and, though I've never experienced the problem, broken springs others mention. The only other lock which compares was on the discontinued Surefire knives, such as the Dart;
3. Disassembly is simple. I very much like the fact that I can clean and oil the knife. Blade centering and resistance when opening is infinitely adjustable. When adjusted to my satisfaction, no knife is smoother;
4. Disassembly of the knife does not void the warranty as it does with Benchmade;
5. The ergonomics are superior. They are light enough for pocket carry, slim and provide a good grip without tearing up my pockets;
6. They are so strong that they provide me with absolute confidence in them.

The Combat Karambit has a 2.6" blade, and is actually a very good EDC knife if you have sub-3" constraints while wanting a full grip.

I have an Emerson Karambit, but don't carry it for EDC. Our state courts have held that one factor distinguishing a tool knife from a weapon knife is whether or not the knife has an unusual configuration which makes it appear different than an ordinary pocket knife. This is a bit vague and a lot stupid, but weighing the benefit against the risk, I don't want to have this hassle. Besides, I do have the 3 3" Emersons: Mini 7, Mini A-100 and Micro Commander. I prefer the Mini A-100 just because it doesn't have the "wave" which might scratch up an expensive holster if an unintended opening occurs, and because some cop or court might object. I really don't want to lose my gun permit over an illegal knife, as the A-100 and a 1911, provide a lot more security than a wave opening knife.

2. I wish they had reversible clips. I usually carry a pistol and would prefer to carry a knife on the left. This is exacerbated by the "wave" feature as I really do not want to cut or scratch a $100+ Alessi or Sparks holster;

I believe that for a small fee Emerson will drill and tap any of their knives for left hand carry

fwiw- I'd like to see an Emerson handle done ala Strider SnG.

I have the Regiment which was Emerson's collector club knife last year and the rear of the handle is nearly identical to the SNG (nearly same angle and "jimping". I sold all of my Striders so I can't post a comparison But overall the handle was longer, which, to me , makes it more user friendly.

Back