A Plumb Carpenters Hatchet

David Martin

I got this hatchet from my youngest, found it at an estate sale. It's a Plumb Victory carpenters hatchet. Anyone know the date this was manufactured. Thanks, DM
plumb.jpg

That sounds plausible to me at least. Come to think of it, I know where there's a Plumb Victory hammer.

@Steve Tall , the hammer face does not have the cross-patch file work. It weighs 1 lb 9 oz.. With a 17-18" handle one could drive 30 or 40 penny ring-shank nails. DM

Last edited:
Here is my Plumb hatchet with a new handle. I gave it a coat of boiled linseed oil while waiting for the epoxy to cure. I then filed the hammer face some to level it. The file did not cut it so quickly, so, I think it's heat treat is good. DM
plumbII.jpg

Looking at my Estwing and comparing it to my Plumb. The Plumb gives you more handle and it weighs in at 2 lbs.. Whereas the Estwing only weighs 1 lb. 9 oz.. When your driving bridge nails or attaching barn rafters the extra weight will really pay off at the end of the day. DM
plumb4.jpg

Reactions: A17
Here I built this building using 40d ring-shank nails driving them with my Estwing. That's a 5" hard to drive nail. :) I wish I had this Plumb
when I was building it. DM
100_2791.JPG

Here's my early Plumb with a good edge on it and the haft now has 2 coats of boiled linseed oil. I also, filed away the burr on the inside of the eye before hanging the haft. Brought it back to life and ready for some heavy duty use. I'll let you know how the test drive turns out. DM Plumb5.jpg

Here I built this building using 40d ring-shank nails driving them with my Estwing. That's a 5" hard to drive nail. :) I wish I had this Plumb
when I was building it. DM
View attachment 1059362
David - I worked for Umbaugh Pole Bldg. Co back in the 70's. We used 60d ring shaft nails to fasten the purlins to the trusses. I used a 28oz Estwing with a waffle face.
With the 60p nails, you stand the 2x4 up on its edge and drive the nail thru it.
We used your 40p to put the girts on the side.
BTW - that's a real sweet looking shed you got there.

Reactions: A17
Uncle Timbo Uncle Timbo , I know the hatchet your talking about, a well built tool. I didn't know the weight of it but driving a 6" nail with it is certainly
at the limit of it's ability. I believe both of us would have liked using this Plumb driving those size nails. You earned your pay those days. Thank you, DM

We worked out-of-town 99.99% of the time and we'd stay in Mom and Pop motels. While you were waiting your turn to take a shower, you take out your pocketknife and dig splinters out of your fingers and hands. Then iodine. My hands would damn near be orange when I was done.
Didn't have time during the day. We worked from sun-up to sun-down. Man was I in shape. I could eat sawdust and poop 2X4's. :)

Back