• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

A Primative Knife

G L Drew

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Not necessarily historically correct but I could picture a knife like this being produced by the local smith and traded for a cart full of potatoes or a few laying hens.

Forged from 1/4 inch 5160
Flat grind
400 grit finish on the grind, hammer finish on the flats
integral guard and tapered tang
Walnut handle
Overall length: 9 1/8 inches
Blade: 5 inches
Riveted leather scabbard

$105 -----SOLD----- delivered to the US or Canada. I will take your check or a USPS money order (no chickens please) or my PayPal account is gldrewknives@yahoo.com

Prim1.jpg
Prim2.jpg

Prim3.jpg
Prim4.jpg

Last edited:
DEAL! How many laying hens is "a few"? Will UPS ship hens?

If I accept chickens they have to be cleaned, fried and served with mashed potatoes, fresh biscuits and gravy!

Very nice primative G.L., This be an excellent piece for a buckskinner or a living historian's impression.

Jim P.

I have a recipe for heat treating and tempering that has been very successful since I started forging. I heat treat in a Paragon furnace to 1500 degrees and quench in Parker's oil. My tempering is 350 degrees twice for one hour each. I test occasionally at a local machine shop and have been consistently hitting Rc 58 to 60.
Hope this helps.
Gerry

Last edited:
Looks very functional I'll take it Gerry. Early birthday present from my kids. I guess I better email them tonite to let them know:) PayPal on the way.
Terry

Looks very functional I'll take it Gerry. Early birthday present from my kids. I guess I better email them tonite to let them know:) PayPal on the way.
Terry
Got your PayPal Terry. Your knife will go out in the morning. Thank you!!!

Thank you Gerry. Sometimes knives kind of talk to you. This one I think my grand kids will say "This was one of Poppi's knives."
Terry

Thank you Gerry. Sometimes knives kind of talk to you. This one I think my grand kids will say "This was one of Poppi's knives."
Terry
You are going to be amazed at how nicely this one fits in the hand. Probably the best I have ever made. Enjoy.

Terry

What a Great Buy TSF, And a Great Early Birthday Gift ! Beautiful Knife Gerry, I like that Fur Trade Era "Trade Knife Style" You sure nuff did a Fine Job on that Beauty, :thumbup:

Drew,
Got the knife today. It is awesome! I love the integral guard. It does fit the hand exceptionally well. Plenty of belly and a stout, sharp pont. This a perfect edc.. Now, I just saw a thread for a Less Ugly Bowie. We need to talk Bro.
Terry

Back