A Question About Deburing

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Razor, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Razor

Razor Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 1999
    Sorry if this has been ask before. When I get a burr on one side of the blade, do I deburr it before I get a burr on the other side of the blade while sharpening it? I am using a sharpmaker with the diamond rods and S35V steel on a Reate folder.

scarysamcary likes this.
  2. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    You raise a bur on the opposite side you’re sharpening. So when you go to that side use a stropping motion first to straighten the bur out. Run the edge perpendicular on a piece of wood. Then sharpen that side. You will then get a bur on the other side. Do the same process.

Razor and scarysamcary like this.
  3. David Martin

David Martin Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Once you feel the burr I would just flip it over and scrub it on that side. Remove the burr and you're done. DM

4. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    I think what should be happening is, you grind the burr off one side and create another on the other side.
    I believe it is possible tho to just push the burr from side to side with The wrong angle and/or too much pressure. I also think some steels and heat treats are more susceptible to this than others.