A question about sheaths for Kukri owners...

MattinLA

Gold Member
So with the soon to be released SYclone Kukri, I want to know what you think about Exposed spine sheaths. I think they look cool, but are they really more functional than a regular pancake sheath?
Thanks

I have some great open spine sheaths from DBrown and a few others. They work great.
But I personally prefer a Drop in Sheath, they may not have the perfect fit that the open back does but I find myself needing to draw the blade, make the cut the re Sheath it quickly, I don't like needing to work the snaps and straps.
I will promise you that Davids open back sheath will make you happy and you should start with it before making decisions that can reduce some features and improve others....

I have some great open spine sheaths from DBrown and a few others. They work great.
But I personally prefer a Drop in Sheath, they may not have the perfect fit that the open back does but I find myself needing to draw the blade, make the cut the re Sheath it quickly, I don't like needing to work the snaps and straps.
I will promise you that Davids open back sheath will make you happy and you should start with it before making decisions that can reduce some features and improve others....
Thanks. Good info to think about 🍺

I think the open back helps make it smaller, otherwise you end up with a boat paddle sized sheath. Depending on blade length and where you wear it, drawing all that blade up vs sliding out could be an advantage.

I think the open back helps make it smaller, otherwise you end up with a boat paddle sized sheath. Depending on blade length and where you wear it, drawing all that blade up vs sliding out could be an advantage.
Thanks.
I find with my CS Gurkha Kukri boltoron sheath, the edge always rubs a little against the sheath. So I was thinking the Exposed spine will eliminate that.

Thanks.
I find with my CS Gurkha Kukri boltoron sheath, the edge always rubs a little against the sheath. So I was thinking the Exposed spine will eliminate that.
It does help.

Great things about my original designed Exposed Spine Sheath ;

Ease of draw
works with kukri and odd larger front knives
faster and shorter draw
easier to clean the sheath
less drag
less cost than fully enclosed
to make a fully enclose sheath for a kukri, bolo, or other odd shape I need to make a "Mock-up knife" out of kydex so more work = more cost.

not so great things ;

straps and snaps could get in the way of fast resheathing.
debris could get in with the blade when busting through brush

On other choice I made long ago was a snap in Exposed Spine sheath

works pretty good but in theory you could knock it loose with out the strap

It will work without the strap.IMG_8004.JPGIMG_8005.JPGIMG_8006.JPG

It does help.

Great things about my original designed Exposed Spine Sheath ;

Ease of draw
works with kukri and odd larger front knives
faster and shorter draw
easier to clean the sheath
less drag
less cost than fully enclosed
to make a fully enclose sheath for a kukri, bolo, or other odd shape I need to make a "Mock-up knife" out of kydex so more work = more cost.

not so great things ;

straps and snaps could get in the way of fast resheathing.
debris could get in with the blade when busting through brush

On other choice I made long ago was a snap in Exposed Spine sheath

works pretty good but in theory you could knock it loose with out the strap

It will work without the strap.View attachment 2485180View attachment 2485181View attachment 2485182
Thanks. Really nice work 🍺🍺

I have a couple of Dave’s exposed spine sheaths and like them lots. My 1311 has lived in one since I got it !

Who needs a sheath? Carry it Razor sharp tucked into your pants ….

Or listen to the sheath maker and go with his experience….

I think open spine are perfect for this type of knife….

Not sure I’ve ever seen a pancake style for a khurki….

Don’t listen to me ….

Drop your perception ….

It is up to you ….

I've got open spined sheaths for both my Fusion Combat HUCK Fin, and my HUCK. Both work great. The FCHF has been carried quite a bit, never found it to specifically be a problem with drawing and reseathing. But I've never tried resheathing in an emergency.

I've got open spined sheaths for both my Fusion Combat HUCK Fin, and my HUCK. Both work great. The FCHF has been carried quite a bit, never found it to specifically be a problem with drawing and reseathing. But I've never tried resheathing in an emergency.
Thanks, good to know. 🍺

Back