1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

A Question on Purple Heart

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Travis Talboys, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Travis Talboys

Travis Talboys

Oct 30, 2018
    I was wondering how stable in stabilized Purple Heart is. I recently picked up a block that I would like to use one a project I'm getting ready to start, but it's not stablized. The knife will likely not be used a lot, and almost certainly won't be abused.

Can I get by with just sealing the wood, or should I send it out for stablizing?

Thanks for any advice,
    Travis

2. gudspelr

gudspelr

Jul 1, 2013
    I used it once several years ago on a knife I gave my mom. It wasn’t stabilized and I wouldn’t worry at all about using it again. It seemed very stable in its natural state.

Jeremy

Coy Ranch likes this.
  3. Carterwhopkins

Carterwhopkins KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 12, 2012
    I've used non-stabilized purple heart several times with no issues.

4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Amaranth - AKA purple heat - is very stable. The color will change in time to a browner shade … or all brown. The intense color after sanding fades away pretty soon. Stabilizing slows this some, but it is just a fact of life with this wood.
    It can also stain the hands during sanding, and a little if used wet … especially if wet with alcohol or other solvents. This isn't normally a big issue, as most knives are used dry.

Everyone seems to have a favorite way to finish it. I rarely use it on knives, but on turnings I apply a simple sanding sealer and then sand to a high grit. I then apply a friction polish.
    On knives, a final coat of oil finish (any gun finish, Tru-oil, etc.) will make it smooth and shiny, but I don't like a built up finished.

If using an oil finish, rub it in - wipe the excess off after a few minutes - let dry a day or more - sand back to the wood with fine grit paper - repeat a couple times. This will fill the pores but not leave a coat of varnish on the surface. A good buffing with an old T-shirt will give it a nice glow.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  5. Travis Talboys

Travis Talboys

Oct 30, 2018
    Thanks everyone. I will try to post a picture when it's done.

Travis