A Quick Questionaire/Poll - Re: Outback

How many of you out there own an Outback, and what's your opinion, good, bad, or indifferent?

I don't own one, but I have looked at them. I don't like serrated blades very well, so that, to me, is a strike against it. Other than that, it reminds me a lot of the Gerber Gator, a nice, affordable production knife. Schrades stainless steel, which I believe is 440A, isn't bad (I've got some of my Uncle Henries very sharp). If I remember, the handles are thermoplastic, and give a little, which should be nice in the cold or in wet conditions. Like the Gerber, the blade is a little wide for my liking, but would probably work well for skinning, and ought to be pretty durable.
Over-all, despite the serrated blade, I have a good opinion of this knife.

Steve
(need to learn how to spell knife:) )

Steve,

Thanks for responding. I find it amazing that almost 20 people have viewed this thread and I only got one reply (you). It seems to be a typical affliction with the Makers & Mfg's. Forum. People only seem interested in collectibles, or else the "Blade Du Jour".
Actually I already own an Outback. Partialy serrated, with the semi-rigid sheath. I added a "One-Armed Bandit" thumbstud and wear it with the top flap of the sheath folded back. It's a good solid working folder and I feel it's greatest asset is the handle. The stainless steel frame gives it weight and stength, and the rubber-like TPR coating really fills your hand. The relationship of the blade to handle angle makes the overall profile resemble a Spanish Navaja. While most people would not consider it a "tactical defensive folder" I have no doubt that it would serve very well in that capacity.
As for the 440A stainless blade, it's more than adequate for any potential use that I would put it too. It's edge-holding is decent. It's not bad, but nothing to write home about. However it very easy to re-sharpen, and takes a wickedly sharp edge.
I started this thread just to findout how many people here at this forum actually owned Outbacks, and what they thought of them. Apparently though, unless it has a "saw-cut Delrin handle" or a "classic brown patina" on a 1095 carbon blade, nobody is really all that interested.
Unfortunate, but it seems to be true.
I'm sorry if I'm ranting here a little. I just get a litle agitated sometimes. Just BTW, I also own a Wolverine, for which I have a Eric Normark custom Kydex sheath, and a small Schrade Pocket-Knife.
Again, thanks for responding to the thread.

I think that Steve's comparison of the Outback with the more widely available Gerber Gator is valid. Interestingly, it is not easily avilable in the NY, NJ area for some reason. At least not when I was looking.
Though I am satisfied with the old Gator, I think that the Outback is better at some points:
-440A is better steel than the old 420 Gerber
-steel liners instead of Gator's all-polymer handle (must be heavier though)
-nice lanyard hole that I miss on many traditional pattern (Schrade UH, Buck 110, Gator etc.) large folders.
One time I have certainly seen a plain edge drop point (and clip point) Outback that I would prefer over the serrated blade.

HM

Back