A quick summary of what is and isn't legal in Los Angeles County, California

brancron

Gold Member
Just to clear up any confusion, here is a summary of what's OK and not OK to carry in LA County, taking into account state law as well:

Concealed carry fixed blade*: not allowed

Open carry fixed blade: OK if under 3"

Concealed carry folder: OK

Open carry folder: OK if under 3"

Concealed carry switchblade: OK if under 2"

Open carry switchblade: not allowed

Sources: CA Penal Code § 21310, § 16470, § 21510; LA County Code of Ordinances § 13.62.010-020.

*Actually, it's "dirks and daggers" that are disallowed, but they are defined as knives "capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death." (Pen. Code, § 16470.) Most fixed blades will be considered by courts as being a dirk/dagger, so it's best to be conservative. There are exceptions, though. One court determined that a bread knife with a rounded tip did not constitute a dirk/dagger under the statute. (People v. Barrios (1992) 7 Cal.App.4th 501, 506.)

Last edited:
Both Los Angeles county and municipality have exemptions on their open-carry blade length restrictions if the knife is being carried for use in ones lawful occupation or for legitimate recreational purposes. That means if a person is carrying a knife for work or fishing/camping/etc, and can prove it, that they can openly carry a knife of any size, fixed or folder.

These exceptions in the Los Angeles municipal code are under Section 55.10c

In the Los Angeles county code it's 13.62.030

Here is a link to the LA municipal codes- http://www.amlegal.com/library/ca/losangeles.shtml

To find LA's knife laws using that link click on "Municipal Code", then type "knife" into the search box at the top of the screen. Then click on "Article 5 Firearms- Dangerous Weapons".

Here is a link to the LA county codes- http://www.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/lac/government/public/

To find the LA county knife laws using that link place your cursor over the word "Government" to bring the drop menu down. Then click on "Public Information & Records". Then click on "County Code". Then type the word "knife" into the search box in the upper right hand corner.

All of LA's knife laws are that easy to find. And from their official sources.

Last edited:
It should be pointed out that there are also LA municipal codes restricting certain knives in government buildings and CA laws restricting most knives on school campuses which supersede the above.

It should be pointed out that there are also LA municipal codes restricting certain knives in government buildings and CA laws restricting most knives on school campuses which supersede the above.

That is absolutely true, thank you for pointing that out. Schools, government buildings, even public parks--all these places can have more restrictive rules regarding knives. My summary above just applies to the person walking down the sidewalk.

That is absolutely true, thank you for pointing that out. Schools, government buildings, even public parks--all these places can have more restrictive rules regarding knives. My summary above just applies to the person walking down the sidewalk.

Oh I didn't know that about public parks. I'll keep an eye out for that.

So I found that pocket clips can count as open carry because it's technically in plain view of the officer who notices. However, how about a knife lanyard with no other part of the knife showing?

So I found that pocket clips can count as open carry because it's technically in plain view of the officer who notices. However, how about a knife lanyard with no other part of the knife showing?

Pocket-clip showing as a way to "open carry" is not reliably legal. Read this post that was just made in another thread. The cops if they don't like you can claim it's not fully visible, and they only noticed it because they are cops and have "special training and experience" to look for weapons. The knife fully out of view with only a lanyard showing is undoubtedly going to be considered concealed because no one can tell it's a knife. The only reason it would be a good idea is that a fully concealed knife won't be noticed by the cops and thereby invite them to make an interpretation in the first place. I'm not fond of carrying illegal knives, but unless I break the law or act like a tool, the cops are never going to search me.

Pocket-clip showing as a way to "open carry" is not reliably legal. Read this post that was just made in another thread. The cops if they don't like you can claim it's not fully visible, and they only noticed it because they are cops and have "special training and experience" to look for weapons. The knife fully out of view with only a lanyard showing is undoubtedly going to be considered concealed because no one can tell it's a knife. The only reason it would be a good idea is that a fully concealed knife won't be noticed by the cops and thereby invite them to make an interpretation in the first place. I'm not fond of carrying illegal knives, but unless I break the law or act like a tool, the cops are never going to search me.

In California, concealed carry of folders is totally legal. Concealed carry of fixed blades, however, isn't. Courts have interpreted "concealed" to mean "substantially concealed," meaning that if most of the knife is concealed (even if some of it is sticking out), then it counts as concealed. It's a factual question that depends on the circumstances. [Sources: People v. Wharton (1992) 5 Cal.App.4th 72, 75; People v. Fuentes (1976) 64 Cal.App.3d 953, 955.]

Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a graduation gift for my brother who's moving to somewhere in LA County (might be Los Angeles proper, trying to figure out the exact location). I'm wondering if he could carry a folder with a 3.75" blade in public without it being considered "illegal," or if I should stick to 2.90 blades to appease his mom and keep him out of needless trouble.

Also looking for suggestions for a 30-$60 "dress knife," if you have any. If I was made of money I'd just get him a CF Sebenza and be done with it ;)

Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a graduation gift for my brother who's moving to somewhere in LA County (might be Los Angeles proper, trying to figure out the exact location). I'm wondering if he could carry a folder with a 3.75" blade in public without it being considered "illegal," or if I should stick to 2.90 blades to appease his mom and keep him out of needless trouble.

Also looking for suggestions for a 30-$60 "dress knife," if you have any. If I was made of money I'd just get him a CF Sebenza and be done with it ;)
If he carries a folding knife with a blade 3.75" completely concealed then it's perfectly legal. But both the Los Angeles city (municipal) codes and county codes are clear- it is illegal to openly carry any knife with a blade 3" or longer, unless it is carried for legitimate work, recreational, or religious reasons, and you can prove it.

If he carries a folding knife with a blade 3.75" completely concealed then it's perfectly legal. But both the Los Angeles city (municipal) codes and county codes are clear- it is illegal to openly carry any knife with a blade 3" or longer, unless it is carried for legitimate work, recreational, or religious reasons, and you can prove it.
Gotcha, and the occifer can claim he is openly carrying if he sees the clip and wants to give him guff, right? Sounds like sub-3 is the way to go.

Just to clear up any confusion, here is a summary of what's OK and not OK to carry in LA County, taking into account state law as well:

Concealed carry fixed blade*: not allowed

Open carry fixed blade: OK if under 3"

Concealed carry folder: OK

Open carry folder: OK if under 3"

Concealed carry switchblade: OK if under 2"

Open carry switchblade: not allowed

Sources: CA Penal Code § 21310, § 16470, § 21510; LA County Code of Ordinances § 13.62.010-020.

*Actually, it's "dirks and daggers" that are disallowed, but they are defined as knives "capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death." (Pen. Code, § 16470.) Most fixed blades will be considered by courts as being a dirk/dagger, so it's best to be conservative. There are exceptions, though. One court determined that a bread knife with a rounded tip did not constitute a dirk/dagger under the statute. (People v. Barrios (1992) 7 Cal.App.4th 501, 506.)
Hey, quick question, are you sure about the 2in or under autos being legal. Ive been reading up about LA County knife laws and they are very vague about that topic.

Hey, quick question, are you sure about the 2in or under autos being legal. Ive been reading up about LA County knife laws and they are very vague about that topic.

Hey there! You're right, this one is a bit more vague than the other aspects. Let me hash it out a bit further:

Under state law, it’s fairly clear that there’s no prohibition on carrying a switchblade with a sub-2” blade. Under PC § 21310 it’s illegal to conceal carry a “dirk or dagger,” and under § 16470 “dirk or dagger” is defined as any knife “capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death.” The case law has been fairly clear that this includes pretty much any knife that is physically capable of causing great bodily injury or death, without regard to the intent of the carrier, so it is very broad. However, § 16470 expressly exempts the following from the definition of “dirk or dagger”: “A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not prohibited by Section 21510, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position.”

§ 21510 in turn places certain prohibitions on switchblades with blades 2” or greater. So this means that sub-2” switchblades are part of the defined exception to the “dirk or dagger” definition quoted at the end of the last paragraph. The conclusion is that there’s no state law prohibition on concealed carry of sub-2” switchblades. (And there’s absolutely no open carry prohibitions under state law.)

Now, turning to the local laws:

LA City Municipal Code § 55.10 prohibits plain view carry of knives 3” or more. There is no mention of switchblades so there is no confusion.

Then we get to the main point, the one you mention. Under the LA County Code, §§ 13.62.010-020, there’s no plain view carry of “any knife having a blade of three inches or more in length; any spring-blade, switch-blade or snap-blade knife; any knife any blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device.” So the County Code appears on its face to prohibit plain view carry of ANY switchblade. However, this particular code section has been deemed invalid and in conflict with state law. See People v. Gerardo (1985) 174 Cal.App.3d Supp. 1, 5.

That case involved a 3” switchblade so the deemed invalidity of the local ordinance did not avail the defendant (he was still in violation of state law), but I think the reasoning behind the decision is sound. And I have found no published cases involving prosecution for “plain view” carry of sub-2” switchblades in LA County.

There has been a bit of case law trying to grapple with the difference between “plain view” and “concealed,” and that creates its own headaches. It seems like whenever a law prohibits “plain view” carry, then the merest sliver of a pocket clip showing can count as “plain view,” and conversely, when a law prohibits “concealed” carry, then even “partial” concealment can count.

This thread is super old. Has there been any new major changes/updates to the knife law in California?

And just to clarify..... If a person has a "folding" knife 3.5" concealed in their pocket, it's perfectly legal? But, if it's clipped up their pocket, which is considered open carry, it's illegal?

I've lived in Los Angeles County almost my entire life. Rarely do I travel to Los Angeles City in fact, I avoid it as much as possible. I have carried a concealed non auto folder for the past 25 years with zero problems (different blade lengths). In fact, most of the Sheriffs I know and talk to, can really care less what you carry. I see a regular customer in my local Walmart almost every time I go there with an open carry fixed on his hip. Perfectly legal as well.

This thread is super old. Has there been any new major changes/updates to the knife law in California?

And just to clarify..... If a person has a "folding" knife 3.5" concealed in their pocket, it's perfectly legal? But, if it's clipped up their pocket, which is considered open carry, it's illegal?

No updates since this post that I have come across. And your statement about the 3.5” knife is correct; that’s technically the law. But as also mentioned by others, from a practical standpoint, if you’re minding your own business and not breaking other laws, there is not much to worry about carrying a 3” or greater folding knife clipped inside your pocket.

I live in Los Angeles County and work as a firefighter. I am also a soldier in the Army Reserve. I would like to know if I can legally wear a 3.5 inch auto folding knife while on duty? Thank you

As of April 29th, 2020 if you look at Los Angeles County code regarding knives, the prohibition is against carrying knives in the open
Here's the direct link to Los Angeles County Codes:
https://library.municode.com/ca/los...PEMOWE_DIV8WE_CH13.62CAKNPLVI_13.62.010KNDADE
  • 13.62.010 - Knives and daggers defined.
  • As used in this chapter, the terms "knives and daggers" shall include any knife having a blade of three inches or more in length; any spring-blade, switch-blade or snap-blade knife; any knife any blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device; any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool; any straight-edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle.
    (Ord. 11915 § 1, 1979.)

• 13.62.020 - Carrying knives and daggers in plain view prohibited.
    It is unlawful for any person to carry on his person, in plain view, any knife or dagger.
    (Ord. 11915 § 2, 1979.)

This doesn't mention anything about conceal carrying folding knives

If we look at California State Penal Code, as long as your knife is no bigger than 4" you should be fine.

Penal Code - PEN
    PART 1. OF CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS [25 - 680.4]

( Part 1 enacted 1872. )
    TITLE 7. OF CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC JUSTICE [92 - 186.36]
    ( Title 7 enacted 1872. ) ( Chapter 7 enacted 1872. )
    171b.
    (a) Any person who brings or possesses within any state or local public building or at any meeting required to be open to the public pursuant to Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 54950) of Part 1 of Division 2 of Title 5 of, or Article 9 (commencing with Section 11120) of Chapter 1 of Part 1 of Division 3 of Title 2 of, the Government Code, any of the following is guilty of a public offense punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year, or in the state prison:
    (1) Any firearm.
    (2) Any deadly weapon described in Section 17235 or in any provision listed in Section 16590.
    (3) Any knife with a blade length in excess of four inches, the blade of which is fixed or is capable of being fixed in an unguarded position by the use of one or two hands.

If you want to read more on California knife laws go to this link https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codesTextSearch.xhtml Put 'knife' in the search box and in the Select Codes section, choose Penal Code - PEN
A concealed 3.5" blade folding knife should be fine as long as you're not carrying it inside federal buildings, airports and schools. I'm not a lawyer by any means, so don't consider this as legal advice. This is just information from official city and government websites I found from doing research. You can always call a lawyer, there are some that specialize in knife laws and you can also call sheriff stations. I called one sheriff station and the cop told me that anything under 4" is fine. The 2nd one I called, the cop told me to check on California laws. I prefer to stay with a 3" or 3 1/4" at the most. I find that you really don't need anything larger than that and also, a 3" blade is less likely to scare people as a 4" knife. Hope this helps.

Back