A quick super-grippy Mule handle

For a quick handle on my Spyderco Mule, I used 3 mm diameter starter cord, tied with the 'whipping knot.

The 'grippiness' is excellent, due to the 3 mm diameter cord used. The grip is quite firm as well, since starter cord (Ace Hardware) is a solid-core cord with near-zero stretch and very little compressibility.

The problem with wrapping the mule is the shape of the Mule handle. The cord wraps tend to slip toward the butt of the handle.

A solution to slipping problem was to bind the cord with spray-on plastic coating (Performix Plasti Dip at Ace Hardware). I chose the red color, and masked off the wraps fore and aft.

It not only looks good, the plastic coat (which feels more like rubber coat) improved the 'grippiness'.

I know immigration is the sincerest form of flattery, but I'm going to copy your idea. Thanks, gud4u!

Good to see a Muel being played with. I've been watching the review forum to see if anyone has been playing with them and not too much posted on them yet. The Plasti dip is a good idea. I remember reading a guy selling neck knives at a show with a Plasti Dip handle in all different colors and sold out fast.

Self-fusing rubber electrical tape also makes a good "grippy" surface wrapped around a handle, and if you build up enough, it will make a decent handle all by itself.

Self-fusing rubber electrical tape also makes a good "grippy" surface wrapped around a handle, and if you build up enough, it will make a decent handle all by itself.

The only problem with self-fusing rubber electrical tape is that it is... very delicate. If you bump it into something hard you will cut it and it will start peeling itself. I know because we use it to wrap the non rubbery surface of our ice climbing axes handles. Don't you guys have something called Tool Dip? It is some kind of rubbery coating sold in cans. You dip the handle of the tool, let it cure by itself, and you are good to go!
Mikel

The only problem with "tool dip" is that it takes a lot of layers (and a lot of drying time for each layer) to build up much thickness. I have put it on a lot of tool handles over the years. The self-fusing tape I use is 3M 120C. Not cheap and once it cures, it won't peel away from the layer of tape below. To remove it you usually have to cut the whole mass off. It also does not stick well to anything but itself (and/or other rubber) so it won't leave much residue behind when it's removed, but yes, if you only use a thin layer of tape over the handle and it gets damaged, it will all start coming off

The only problem with "tool dip" is that it takes a lot of layers (and a lot of drying time for each layer) to build up much thickness...

Use the "tool dip" (Plasti Dip) as a grippy, flexible top coating for a wrapped handle (para cord, starter cord, etc.). It finishes and seals the wrapping; available in clear and several colors.

Back