"A real hammer guy"

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Some people do wonder about my 60 or so hammers. I just point out that a real hammer guy like Scotty Fulton in Kentucky has over 12,000 hammers. The good thing about hammers is you don't have to sharpen them.

Okay I have never heard of Scotty Fulton before, and so I checked out an article about him. So cool!

My favorite part of the article:

The article on Scotty Fulton said:
After walking in the front door of the barn, I was a bit speechless because of the spectacle. But after taking in the rows and rows of tools I managed to ask the obvious question: “How does something like this begin?”

About 1965, Fulton and his new bride moved to Owensville, Ohio, and Scotty needed some tools. So they went to a farm auction where the auctioneer held up a simple claw hammer. Scotty bid. He won. When he went to claim his lot, he found that he had actually won a bucket of seven or eight hammers. He was fascinated by their shapes.

“I couldn’t believe there were this many shapes. I just kept buying them,” he said. “I had 1,500. And then it became an obsession.”

See what happened there? He had fifteen hundred hammers. As in he went out of his way and collected fifteen HUNDRED hammers. And only AFTER that did he consider it an obsession! 🤣🤣🤣

Anyway, POP, when you mentioned "a real hammer guy" I couldn't help but think of Slim Farman. If you hadn't heard of him, I think you might be pretty amazed if you look him up. A little different from Mr. Fulton, but I bet they would have gotten along famously.

Back