A real tanto tip

Just thought I'd share this little crop from a recent scan of mine.

Hope you like it.

Attachments

• brumtip.jpg
    brumtip.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 183
Hi, tell us more about it, do you have more pics of it? What kinda steel is it made of? Did you make it? You know, all the good stuff :D

No it was not made by me, it was made by Jerry Brumagen. It's made of very high-carbon simple steel welded with pure iron, very high layer (hence the barely visible pattern).

It needs a repolish, and I may do that as a project in the next few months. It remains unmounted.

Here's another scan...you can see some of the misty utsuri but it's not perfectly visible due to the resizing. However, it's a marked improvement over my original scans of it.

Attachments

• smbrum1.jpg
    smbrum1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 161
The only way to look at one of Jerry's blades is to have it in your hands. The scans are nice but I'm sure it doesn't do justice to the blade.
Thanks for showing us the scans.

I agree Mr. Jones, being able to hold it and rotate it to examine beats out a scan or photo any day.

beluga, I tried selling it some time ago, but nobody would pick it up. In addition, I know that the finish is imperfect and I would hesitate to sell it to someone unless they could manage to have someone polish it. While the finish isn't bad, sending it around to some people for examination and exposure to some harsh humidity over the ocean in shipping, there are some tiny rust specks that really irritate the heck out of me, and I'd like to repolish it to eliminate those problems.

Back