Review A review of some Kevin Wilkins products: Leafstorm 9 & Benchmade Griptilian scales

photoman12001

Gold Member
Here is my review of some items I own from Kevin Wilkins including a Leafstorm 9 and titanium scales for Benchmade Griptailians. Please feel free to share your experiences here ( ChazzyP ChazzyP ).

The Leafstorm 9 will also be shown next to several other knives with blades less than 3" in length:
Curtiss Nano
Hinderer Half Track
Spyderco Techno 2
Spyderco Techno
Spyderco Dice
Zero Tolerance 0900
Les George ESV
EnZo Birk 75
Ferrum Forge/WE/Massdrop Falcon
Benchmade 15030
Graham GMT Stubby Razel
Hoback MK Ultra
Chris Reeve Knives Inkosi

001(87).jpg

001(86).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the mention, JD, so I'd find this thread after we quoted each other on this very topic over at the EDC pages. As I'd mentioned there, I'd gotten a Youtube notification for your video above as I subscribe to your channel, but hadn't watched it yet as we're up in our Vermont woods with no internet and are constrained to weak wireless signal on our phones. The signal is somewhat better in the winter and I've discovered it works pretty well this time around using my phone as a hotspot for my MacBook, so I was able to view your review vid. So....

I'm a big fan of Kevin Wilkins' work and have four sets of his Griptilian scales--3 BMG X2's, for full-sized, and 1 set of what I believe is the BMG X1, for the Mini model. I've got matching Doug Ritters--large and small--in coarse G10 with blood red backspacers and a former 551 Griptilian that came as is off the Exchange with aluminum clear coat scales, bright aluminum backspacer, a Wilkins deep carry clip, and one of Kevin's replacement blades in S30V. I was really disappointed to find that K has discontinued making these scales as his market has slowed to the point that it's not worth making batches of them and sitting on stock waiting for buyers, so I went ahead and bought a set of flame ano'd X2 Ti scales as I'd always wanted a set in that material. I didn't even have a specific knife for them when I pulled the trigger but soon found a plain edge 550 in discontinued 154CM on the Exchange for a nice price and jumped right on it. So that's what I've got. So far.... ;)

I've had some very cordial correspondence with Kevin over the years and really admire his business model. We've seen a number of individual custom scale makers doing excellent work over the years go down in flames as it's a hard business to make a buck at as a full-time occupation, handling all the correspondence, ordering, scale making, packing, shipping, and CS on a one-at-a-time basis--and that's if everything goes right. Kevin originally came up with a unique design for two sizes of Griptilians only, made batches in various materials, and sold only what he had in stock for a price set to turn a profit--no special orders, no customs. Some thought him rigid or difficult, but I found him to be friendly and engaging and really liked what his scales did for my Griptilans, both appearance-wise and ergonomically. Wilkins scales aren't cheap and by the time you put a pair on a Grip you're looking at about a $300 investment

As much as I like the size and various blade shapes of the Grip I always totally hated the feel (and sound) of the cheesy Noryl scales. I found the molded plastic jimping totally uncomfortable and put a set of Igorded Micarta's on my first, a 551SBK. Igor's scales are nicely done and economical, but are shaped almost identically to the stock versions and while they look way better and are more comfortable minus the plastic jimping they don't really change the ergos much.

I followed that knife with my large Ritter, as I fell in love with its blade shape and the M390 steel, with plans to add the coarse black G10 Wilkins, and soon after doing so bought a Mini and ordered matching scales for that. The workmanship on the scales is outstanding and their shape totally changes the knife and the way it locks into my hand. In your video above you mention that you much prefer the Mini for EDC in pocket as you find the full-sized model overly large and heavy. I'm just the opposite, finding the Mini OK for a smaller knife but the size and heft of the large is just perfect for me. Here's that matching Ritter pair.

7wQeel8.jpg

FyQXzqh.jpg

mMEXROG.jpg

The backspacer for the larger knife is of my all-time favorite type which includes an integral lanyard attachment much like some of my Shiros, my Biryukovs, and my MP1. The mini version's lanyard hole goes through the scales, though I believe the older version of those had the same backspacer as the large.

This has gotten pretty long, JD, so I'll come back with another post or two with my other Wilkins scales and perhaps weigh in on some thoughts on the Leafstorm as well as Kevin's other products and knives. Thanks for doing the vid and posting here.

--Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for the mention, JD, so I'd find this thread after we quoted each other on this very topic over at the EDC pages. As I'd mentioned there, I'd gotten a Youtube notification for your video above as I subscribe to your channel, but hadn't watched it yet as we're up in our Vermont woods with no internet and are constrained to weak wireless signal on our phones. The signal is somewhat better in the winter and I've discovered it works pretty well this time around using my phone as a hotspot for my MacBook, so I was able to view your review vid. So....

I'm a big fan of Kevin Wilkins' work and have four sets of his Griptilian scales--3 BMG X2's, for full-sized, and 1 set of what I believe is the BMG X1, for the Mini model. I've got matching Doug Ritters--large and small--in coarse G10 with blood red backspacers and a former 551 Griptilian that came as is off the Exchange with aluminum clear coat scales, bright aluminum backspacer, a Wilkins deep carry clip, and one of Kevin's replacement blades in S30V. I was really disappointed to find that K has discontinued making these scales as his market has slowed to the point that it's not worth making batches of them and sitting on stock waiting for buyers, so I went ahead and bought a set of flame ano'd X2 Ti scales as I'd always wanted a set in that material. I didn't even have a specific knife for them when I pulled the trigger but soon found a plain edge 550 in discontinued 154CM on the Exchange for a nice price and jumped right on it. So that's what I've got. So far.... ;)

I've had some very cordial correspondence with Kevin over the years and really admire his business model. We've seen a number of individual custom scale makers doing excellent work over the years go down in flames as it's a hard business to make a buck at as a full-time occupation, handling all the correspondence, ordering, scale making, packing, shipping, and CS on a one-at-a-time basis--and that's if everything goes right. Kevin originally came up with a unique design for two sizes of Griptilians only, made batches in various materials, and sold only what he had in stock for a price set to turn a profit--no special orders, no customs. Some thought him rigid or difficult, but I found him to be friendly and engaging and really liked what his scales did for my Griptilans, both appearance-wise and ergonomically. Wilkins scales aren't cheap and by the time you put a pair on a Grip you're looking at about a $300 investment

As much as I like the size and various blade shapes of the Grip I always totally hated the feel (and sound) of the cheesy Noryl scales. I found the molded plastic jimping totally uncomfortable and put a set of Igorded Micarta's on my first, a 551SBK. Igor's scales are nicely done and economical, but are shaped almost identically to the stock versions and while they look way better and are more comfortable minus the plastic jumping they don't really change the ergos much.

I followed that knife with my large Ritter, as I fell in love with its blade shape and the M390 steel, with plans to add the coarse black G10 Wilkins, and soon after doing so bought a Mini and ordered matching scales for that. The workmanship on the scales is outstanding and their shape totally change the knife and the way it locks into my hand. In your video above you mention that you much prefer the Mini for EDC in pocket as you find the full-sized model overly large and heavy. I'm just the opposite, finding the Mini OK for a smaller knife but the size and heft of the large is just perfect for me. Here's that matching Ritter pair.

7wQeel8.jpg

FyQXzqh.jpg

mMEXROG.jpg

The backspacer for the larger knife is of my all-time favorite type which includes an integral lanyard attachment much like some of my Shiros, my Biryukovs, and my MP1. The mini version's lanyard hole goes through the scales, though I believe the older version of those had the same backspacer as the large.

This has gotten pretty long, JD, so I'll come back another post or two with my other Wilkins scales and perhaps weigh in on some thoughts on the Leafstorm as well as Kevin's other products and knives. Thanks for doing the vid and posting here.

--Steve

That black & red looks great.

It is really a shame he had to quit making scales but his reasoning makes sense. I could definitely see buying a set when they’re available and getting the knife later. They’re already expensive and difficult to find; it will only get worse. His scales are really nice, a HUGE step up from the factory plastic scales. I wish the Leafstorm lived up to that standard but it was a bit of a disappointment. It’s a neat design but I just feel it’s missing some refinement.

I like this MXG clip a lot more than the clip from Wilkins. It matches the knife better, especially the finish on this blade, and doesn’t have as much of a hot spot.

CCC8927F-E627-45C8-99C9-BB76666FCC92.jpeg

Did this get moved? I had a hard time finding this thread again and had to do a keyword search to get back to it. I don't get why it's in Gadgets & Gear instead of in Knife Reviews & Testing. Wilkins scales are knife scales and the Leafstorm is, well, a knife.

Anyway, here's another of my Wilkins assemblages, this one comprised of both both Kevin's Griptilian replacement blade and a pair of his BMG X2 scales in clear coat aluminum with a bright geared backspacer. I'd always wanted one of KW's blades both for its attractive shape and S30V steel (now standard on Griptilians) though I've always liked the earlier154CM too. This knife was purchased on the Exchange already converted and included a Wilkins deep-carry clip. Here it is as I acquired it....

AbHbeO2.jpg

While the deep carry clip is attractive it afforded little contrast with the aluminum scales and, as photoman12001 photoman12001 has noted, it creates a bit of a hotspot at the butt of the knife. I swapped it out with my favorite BMK clip, a black oxidized split arrow, which stands out much better against the aluminum finish, complements the black pivot and AXIS liner screws as well as the added Delrin lanyard bead, and is much more comfortable in hand.

A stock 551 with Noryl scales weighs in at 3.88 oz. BMG X2's certainly add weight and this aluminum pair brings the knife up to 5.25 which is not overly heavy for an all-metal handled knife. A bit of internal milling would lighten the knife some, but there's not much room for it given the reliefs already needed for the AXIS liners. I've never minded a knife with a bit of heft to it, though. The balance point on this one is not too far back--at the rear of the forefinger choil--and these aluminum scales are considerably lighter than their Ti cousins.

As to the Wilkins replacement blade, it bears some visual resemblance to the 550 with its opening hole. Of course this one's is oval instead of round, it's primary grind flat instead of hollow, and the blade shape closer to a spearpoint with swedge than the 550's which looks like a cross between a Spyderco Southard and CRK Insingo. It's not particularly thin behind the edge, but I broke down a large box with it earlier today and it's a decent enough cutter. While the Wilkins has a raised thumb ramp like the 550, it's disappointing that it lacks the jimping nicely provided on the BMK.

I may write again with some thoughts on my Ti handled 550 with its flame-ano'd finish similar to our OP's Leafstorm, but will sign off for now with a few pics of my doubly Wilkins-modded 551.

xahoFVf.jpg

matt6Ij.jpg

MVqip4f.jpg

ChazzyP ChazzyP , yes it was moved here. I have no idea why. Like you said, it’s about a knife and knife scales, no gadgets & gear.

I’d really like to get one of his blades to replace my black Griptilian blade but I don’t think that’s likely. Are the top and bottom holes on your Wilkins deep carry clip misaligned? On mine they are so I have to put the bit in at a significant angle to engage the fastener heads. I feel like I’m going to strip the screw heads due to the angle. I don’t know that I’ll actually use it because I prefer the MXG and customer clips I have on the Benchmades but it’s still annoying.

These are custom Ti clips I have on the Benchmades. I got them from a seller on eBay a few years ago but can’t find him now. They’re nice and I think they match each knife pretty well.
8666E120_DA73_4010_9C5B_F2DB36B92CBA.jpeg

photoman12001 photoman12001 , of the three holes on the clip, the alignment between the screw head and the hole in the upper part of the clip are misaligned. The lower clip hole is actually a slot, so you can run the screw in almost all the way then slide the clip over and wait to tighten down that last little bit til after installing the two side screws. The notched shoulders in the upper part of the the clip for the side screws are very closely cut and I had trouble using an insert bit for those. I have the 8-piece set of WiHa one-piece precision drivers and the T7 fits perfectly by and the alignment is nicely vertical. I just have to insert that bit in the center hole at the angle for the last quarter-turn to tighten that one and the lobes still seat well in the screw head with no worries about stripping.

I'm not a big fan of deep carry clips and only have a few, some of which I've not replaced out of sheer laziness or inattention. I've currently got the Wilkins clip on my 550's blue flame-anodized set as it looks good there. There is that hotspot it creates in the heel of my hand, but I'll probably keep it on anyway.

Back