A SAK saved the day!

About a week or ten days ago, I hitched a ride on a whale watch boat, that my girlfriend works on. It was clear as a bell in the harbor, but just outside the breakwater, pea soup fog. Well, vis was like a mile or so, and as we steamed northeast, it got less and less, until the captain, fairly inexperienced, decided to turn on his foghorn. well, what do you know. it doesn't work. we determined that the connection to the mic was corroded, and the screw was tight to the back of the hailer. well, would we have the proper tools on the boat? nope. we had every type of screwdriver aboard, but all were too long.

I did not have my recruit with me, but the naturalist did have his SAK, I don't know the model, but it was about the same size as a hunter.
the screwdriver fit perfectly, like the job was designed just for that knife, and we got the connection off, sanded it lightly with emery paper, and put it back together. and, with a jiggle of wire, we had a foghorn again.

cheers
Pete

And what's even better is you wouldn't have been able to do it with a larger folder like say a Gerber or a Benchmade.

SAK's are great.

I hope you learned your lesson and put that Recruit back in your pocket. ;)

Paul

Back