A Simple Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey cziv, i got some pm s in my box with you bashing crk hard. What made you change your mind?

The agenda a few have against Chris needs to stop. If this room had outside Mod's this would not be going on. Threads would be locked quickly.

If he doesn't talk to you on the phone as nice as you would like, don't start your agenda against him. If you have a problem with anything he has to say, tell him right THEN like a man, but don't go on for months whining about CRK on BF every chance you get. It's getting very old, and you are not hurting his business as much as you think you are. You are only making yourself look like trolls.

If you get your feelings hurt that easy there are owners out there that will coddle you for your dollars. May be time for some of you to move along.

+1
Couldnt agree more

Like I said in the other thread.... To me the moral of the story is DONT BUY USED. However interestingly it seems that CRK worked on all the knives sent in regardless of their owner/condition and some were beyond repair - bad news but when we purchase something used we must accept responsibility. But please everyone stop all the name calling etc. Its confusing and discouraging. There are better things to do with our lives than bash each other on a forum. Take that :grumpy: and turn it :)

This one was bought used yes. But Ive talked to the previous owner who I trust and the knife wasnt abused. Just used for edc tasks.

Believe me there is not signs of abuse, the knife just had lock face heat treatment flaking (It wasnt deformed just looks like the heat treatment flaked off Thats it) There were no marks on the old stop pin or on the blade which would be due to high impact. Also Knowing the way a lock functions, the lock face wouldnt take the damage of a wrist flick the stop pin and sleeve would.

Either way the knife wasnt damaged due to abuse but regular wear and tear of edc work. The knife should be covered under warranty and I should not have to buy a new lock bar slab thats $130. Part of the reason I payed the extra money for CRKs was knowing that I had a rock solid warranty behind me if the knife ever broke or needed fixing, but now that I needed warranty work, they are not fixing the issue :confused:

Is this the one I just sent you? Not to sound like I'm defending my trade but if so, I didn't notice any lock rock or blade play at all. Did you tighten down the pivot bushing all the way?

it is but Im 100% with our trade. Im positive chris will fix the issue with no questions. I have done every trick I know to fix the up down play but it wont go away. Its definately not much but compared to my other sebenza its definately there.

I dont want you to feel like Im not happy. I am perfectly satisfied. The way I look at it most of my other knives have this amount of blade play and Im satisfied with them, but knowing Chris's tolerance I will be sending it to him for a tune up which I planned to do anyways.

Based on the quotes above wolf5391 traded into a used Sebenza from neverdie36, and admits to tinkering with it before contacting CRK about the problem.

CRK's warranty is quite simple and to the point:

WarrantyCard.jpg

Note wolf5391 was not the original owner and has repeatedly voided the warranty, yet CRK was still willing to work with him on the issue, and he was initially satisfied with the result:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/945266-My-sebenzas-rock-lock-!-BIG-UPDATE!

Curious about the history of this knife I searched the exchange to determine where it had originally come from.

neverdie36 purchasing the knife in question from payback462
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...all-Sebenza-21-no-idaho-made-stamp?p=10457295

payback462 purchasing the knife in question from budthachud
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ll-Sebenza-ESEEs-BRKT-amp-Fiddleback-Machetes

budthachud purchasing the knife in question from stercus
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/872761-CRK-Small-Sebenza-21**sold**

another thread with pertinent information, stercus talking about his warranty experience with CRK
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/677967-Got-my-sebenza-back-better-than-new!

It would seem to me that CRK went well above and beyond the scope of their warranty to repair a knife that's changed hands five times in four years and already been repaired under warranty once before. ;)

Here you go...http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...lay-on-sebenza-Update?p=10937545#post10937545

Chuck, I hope you don't mind me pasting that. Let me know if you do, and I'll take it down.

Thanks Ken44. I thought I'd have to re-write it as I don't recall where the posts are. :thumbup:

spydusse - Regarding the Sebenza I discussed with you - I was really po'ed at Mr. Reeve after our phone conversation about my request for a new blade. You were having problems too (hope it worked out).

Chris was right though, I had an edge issue that I discovered far too long after being able to return it to the merchant for a return or refund.

It sat in my tupperware box of new folders after just glancing at it. When I decided to use it I found this problem. I fixed the edge but I had to re-profile the edge (a lot) to get out a deep notch that happened, I don't know how? :confused:

I fixed the edge but I had to re-profile the edge (a lot) to get it out and I was blaming CRK over it.

I told CRK I wanted a new blade which was wrong, I should have contacted the merchant immediately and got it replaced or refunded. My bad!

That's why I posted in one of these two threads going on, to buy from a vendor to layer your protection and to inspect your purchase in keeping with their return policy first. This gives you CRK as a back-up and documents the problems if there are any, before blindly sending it to Chris asking for something that's not his responsibility to provide.

I've bought 6 other Sebenzas (beside the one I repaired) making 7 altogether and only had a couple of very minor problems over the past few years. Only one needed shop attention.

After getting in an argument with Chris, they still treated me very politely and took a new inlay lg. 21 back into the shop.

They fixed a stiffness issue and even buffed the spine to make it look cosmetically perfect (which was something I mentioned briefly to possibly inspect if they had time) and shipped it back the day after receiving the knife "expedited delivery" for free!

They had it for one day and fixed it to perfection, shipped it the next day and I had it in my hands 3 days after they got it. It's in my pocket and I love it!

I wasn't entitled to a new blade that I repaired myself, which had no documentation of any problems listed with CRK or a merchant because I was lazy about inspecting my knife.

It's just one of those things - a guy gets mad, the other guy gets mad and they have an argument. After a while the situation appears different with a cooler attitude.

That's old news to me now. I've moved on and am enjoying my latest Chris Reeve folder - this one could be the "poster child" for his work, it's that nice! :D

Based on the quotes above wolf5391 traded into a used Sebenza from neverdie36, and admits to tinkering with it before contacting CRK about the problem.

WarrantyCard.jpg

Note wolf5391 was not the original owner and has repeatedly voided the warranty, yet CRK was still willing to work with him on the issue, and he was initially satisfied with the result:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/945266-My-sebenzas-rock-lock-!-BIG-UPDATE!

Curious about the history of this knife I searched the exchange to determine where it had originally come from.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...all-Sebenza-21-no-idaho-made-stamp?p=10457295

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ll-Sebenza-ESEEs-BRKT-amp-Fiddleback-Machetes

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/872761-CRK-Small-Sebenza-21**sold**

another thread with pertinent information, stercus talking about his warranty experience with CRK
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/677967-Got-my-sebenza-back-better-than-new!

It would seem to me that CRK went well above and beyond the scope of their warranty to repair a knife that's changed hands five times in four years and already been repaired under warranty once before. ;)

Outstanding research!

WarrantyCard.jpg

You post is completely inaccurate and you are misread
. I never tinkered with the sebenza before sending it in. Its was only after I got the knife back still not fixed that I tried loosening the screws on the knife and pushing up on the lock bar side and down on the Ti slab side. (which is still not tinkering in itself)

Please do no not quote me unless you know the info please. It just feeds the readers to assume I'm negligent.

Thanks

You post is completely inaccurate and you are misread
. I never tinkered with the sebenza before sending it in. Its was only after I got the knife back still not fixed that I tried loosening the screws on the knife and pushing up on the lock bar side and down on the Ti slab side. (which is still not tinkering in itself)

Please do no not quote me unless you know the info please. It just feeds the readers to assume I'm negligent.

Thanks

it is but Im 100% with our trade. Im positive chris will fix the issue with no questions. I have done every trick I know to fix the up down play but it wont go away. Its definately not much but compared to my other sebenza its definately there.

I dont want you to feel like Im not happy. I am perfectly satisfied. The way I look at it most of my other knives have this amount of blade play and Im satisfied with them, but knowing Chris's tolerance I will be sending it to him for a tune up which I planned to do anyways.

Please do elaborate, what specifically do you mean when you say:

"I have done every trick I know to fix the up down play but it wont go away."

For the record, I'm not feeding anyone, anything, I'm responding to your own written words. (which surely do make it sound like you had been tinkering with the lockup)

Altering the lockup in any way, shape, or form would likely render your warranty null and void, but ultimately that would be CRK's decision to make.

It's a moot point, though, I suspect fifth-hand Sebenzas aren't covered under warranty even though they did attempt to fix your knife.

I have more than a dozen Sebenzas. I carry one everyday seven days a week. None of my knives have experienced any of these issues. I will have to say the vast majority of my Sebenza use has been with two knives even though I have carried all at least some.

I have had a few minor issues over quite a few years. Every time a quick phone call has resolved my concerns either by sending me parts or telling me to send my knife in.

I spend my days outdoors and I use my knives daily. My CRK knives have held up well and I have always been treated well by CRK.

Those are my experiences, ymmv.

If i spend $400 dollars on a knife i expect to have good warranty service. That means servicing a knife no matter where it was bought or who has owned it. From what i've read and heard, in general, CRK has great service. It does sound like wolf and a few others have legitimate complaints but i'm sure in the vast majority of cases CRK treats their customers well. The one thing that disturbs me is the tales of CR lossing his cool and yelling/arguing with customers. This is not how a business man should act. I work as a server part time and get really rude customers occasionally but when it comes down to it i'm getting payed to be there and they're paying to be there so i keep my cool and don't stoop down to their level. That's just how it works.

The one thing that disturbs me is the tales of CR lossing his cool and yelling/arguing with customers. This is not how a business man should act. I work as a server part time and get really rude customers occasionally but when it comes down to it i'm getting payed to be there and they're paying to be there so i keep my cool and don't stoop down to their level. That's just how it works.

My grandfather always told me "Never argue with a fool. You just end up going down to their level where they will beat you with their experience." Of course back then he did not have to deal with them getting on the internet.

If i spend $400 dollars on a knife i expect to have good warranty service. That means servicing a knife no matter where it was bought or who has owned it. From what i've read and heard, in general, CRK has great service. It does sound like wolf and a few others have legitimate complaints but i'm sure in the vast majority of cases CRK treats their customers well. The one thing that disturbs me is the tales of CR lossing his cool and yelling/arguing with customers. This is not how a business man should act. I work as a server part time and get really rude customers occasionally but when it comes down to it i'm getting payed to be there and they're paying to be there so i keep my cool and don't stoop down to their level. That's just how it works.

With all due respect...How much of that money do you think that CRK received for the knife in question that was sold 5x? I am definitely not saying that there was not a defect in the aforementioned knife. Personally..I would probably ask myself why any object I am buying had so many owners..but that information was not likely available at the time of sale and truthfully, nobody knows how that knife was treated in the possession of said individuals. ( is that you Cliff Stamp?) Joking aside..shitake happens...but imagine being the owner of the company and all the crap that people try to get covered under warranty..knowing full well that it no longer qualifies for warranty work because of misuse outlined in the warranty statement. I might could..probably would..tend to get a little "short" with some people regardless of keeping a "cool" head. I can say that I am just not that cool to not lose control once in awhile. I do it when I am focused because..Well, I don't divide my attention well.

Now with the obligatory statement; I have no idea IF and or WHEN Chris may, or may not have lost his cool on the phone or in person. I have met Chris...several times. He used to visit one of the shops I worked in quite often many years ago. I have NEVER seen him lose his cool..but that does not mean that he doesn't have a breaking point like many of us.

On another note..I know I have seen some issues with warranty work lately..I have been thinking about this alot lately.
In any given year, within the past few years...How many different products do you think that CRK makes? I'm sure it's a fairly high number, relative to their capacity anyway. How many "borderline" products might make it out the door? 20%, 10%, 5%, 2%, 1%? (Borderline would describe anything that does not meet the specs that Chris has set forth in his own documentation and blueprints)
I would say that 2% is a fair number and is probably a high number. I would also suspect that a fair amount of that number finds it's way to the largest knife forum on the net for various reasons. People here are pretty keyed in to "good" deals. I wonder if these "good" deals are not some of the 2% coming out to "play".
Anyway..it's a thought.

There are more ways than one to beat a dead horse :) Use your imagination.

They put their warranty out there for everyone to see. If you don't agree with the warranty, the knives may not be for you.

Just curious, how do you know that the knife in question is the same one being sold every time and not another Sebenza? Not trying to make this worse just the first thing that popped into my head when I saw all of those for sale threads and your comments. I do not see how just searching the for sale threads guarantees one of the guys did not sell a different sebenza.
I would agree that by the warranty he is not entitled to any work, as the knife is at least second-hand to him and that is all that matters, but from all the great reviews, CRK typically does warranty work on a knife w/out asking if you are the original owner, which is not guaranteed but certainly appreciated and comforting to know you can probably get a used one worked on.

For the most part CRK will work on your knife regardless if it was 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand. Its not like they interrogate you to find out if you bought it used or not.
But if you had the knowledge of knowing your knife has had 4 different owners in the past year and you had no idea if it was abused or not would you still send
it in expecting CRK to warranty your knife? I guess some people feel they are owed a no questions asked warranty because they bought a knife for a few hundred
dollars. CRK is a business like any other and for them to stay in business there must be limits set to minimize loss.

Now if the only knowledge you had of CRK was from reading this thread you would think CRK has a less than good warranty service. Well dont be fooled. CRK is and
has been known for their superb customer service year after year, after year. Don't be swayed by the few bad apples.

280 replies and 25,000 views and only a few good posts.

How about we all agree to disagree and let it rest until CRK and company get some more results posted up?

Eh?

:emot-yarr:

I guess some people feel they are owed a no questions asked warranty because they bought a knife for a few hundred
dollars. CRK is a business like any other and for them to stay in business there must be limits set to minimize loss.
+1
I deserve this and that (and you better do it RIGHT now).....
LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back