A specific question about the SR1.

el gigantor

Gold Member
If you’ve got an SR1, have you ever taken it apart? I was wondering if the pocket clip screws thread all the way into the backspacer.

My knife hasn’t arrived yet but I’m planning on removing the clip and sheath carrying. I’ve had bad luck with Cold Steel screws breaking in the past, so when I remove the clip this time I’m not going to put them back in their holes. If the screws thread all the way into the backspacer, obviously my plan will weaken the overall integrity of the blade and I’ll have to rethink my idea.

Thanks for whatever feedback you’ve got for me!

Yes, they thread into the backspacer. I’ve had good luck with CS screws, never broke one despite having disassembled many dozens.

Also, sometimes you can remove the clip and the screws will go back in without running into the opposite side screws. Sometimes they do, though, and you can’t screw them in all the way. Hope this helps.

I actually did snap a clip screw on mine so take that how you will. I have never broken a cold steel screw before so I'm not sure what to think myself. I have always put the clip screw back in the knife unless they are too long when I remove a clip. I will look later and let you know if the clip screws look like they are structural to me.

Yes, they thread into the backspacer. I’ve had good luck with CS screws, never broke one despite having disassembled many dozens.

Also, sometimes you can remove the clip and the screws will go back in without running into the opposite side screws. Sometimes they do, though, and you can’t screw them in all the way. Hope this helps.

I actually did snap a clip screw on mine so take that how you will. I have never broken a cold steel screw before so I'm not sure what to think myself. I have always put the clip screw back in the knife unless they are too long when I remove a clip. I will look later and let you know if the clip screws look like they are structural to me.
Thanks for the input folks. In the past, when putting a clip screw back in my Recon 1, it gave a little resistance about half way down. Like an idiot I decided to keep turning. Honestly, I didn't give it a ton of force, just tried to overcome the snag. SNAP! Ah well..

Back