A Stitch in Time

I want to give a big shout out for John’s belt crafting skills. My wife Melissa and I were the lucky recipients of the three belts he has recently been discussing and posting pictures of in this thread.

I gave her the honors of opening the box. She was immediately impressed with the rich feel of the leather and water buffalo material as she admired how detailed the gunslinger layout is and how precise all the stitching is. Some added swag and a personalized thank you card from John included in the box was a very nice touch.

i-k32sDR3-XL.jpg

Melissa’s belt is the 1-1/4” one on the left with natural brown water buffalo overlay. The other two are mine. They are 1-1/2” wide with one in black and the other in natural brown water buffalo. Her shorter belt has seven oval holes while mine longer ones have 9 holes.

John’s recommended measuring instructions are great. Follow them to the letter and you will receive a perfect fitting belt. All three of ours are spot on with a perfect fit with the buckle pin in the center hole. This allows plenty of adjustment room for seasonal weight changes and/or more or less gear on the belt per the day’s carry requirements.

The gunslinger stitch pattern is extremely well executed on all of these. This feature gives the belts a classic look that separates John’s work from other simpler custom belts out there.

It appears the oval holes are a somewhat unpopular topic with the leather working folks who have commented above due to the difficulty lining them up correctly. From a buyer’s perspective, this is a feature I much appreciate for ease of adjusting the fit as the buckle pin slips through the oval hole without having to over tighten the belt and look down to find a smaller round hole to poke the pin through. In my experience, round holes that are commonly used on belts quickly become oval from wear distortion. This wear leads to a mix of round and oval holes over time that looks odd vs. just starting with all oval holes that look consistent for a longer lifespan.

The bottom line for me is that the gunslinger stitching and oval holes are features I appreciate and am willing to pay more for.

i-SZcgCnr-XL.jpg

Our need for ordering belts started when Melissa scored the last slot for one of the ten Cowbells available last year. She got the bone linen one shown below. When it arrived, I was shocked to learn that she didn’t own an appropriate belt to securely carry it on. My older belts were were getting long in the tooth, so I planted the seed with John that we were interested in getting on his list when he had time.

Now that the belts are here, Melissa determined that she prefers the cross-draw carry option with her Cowbell.

i-VsFhhDw-XL.jpg

Even though natural brown belts are generally more my thing, I ordered one in black to better match my two black carry pistols & holsters.

i-KbTgRhM-XL.jpg

Melissa and I are thrilled with how these turned out. Everything about these belts from materials to layout and execution is first class. We have no constructive criticism to offer to make them any better. You are a master belt maker John!

The only “wish list” suggestion I will throw out for your consideration is possibly offering the option on future Cowbell sheaths to add a water buffalo overlay to match the belt. We love the look and feel of this leather.

A couple years ago I had Dave Ferry Horsewright Horsewright make me a custom sheath and rifle sling with water buffalo overlays. Cool stuff and very durable. I hope you mind my posting a picture of his sheath on your belt since he is a regular contributor around here and a damned fine gentleman to boot.

i-H6tpcZd-XL.jpg

Thanks again John! You are a hoot and always a pleasure to deal with. We will add more pictures here and there down the road to continue to promote your work.

Best regards,

Phil & Melissa

Great pictures Phil and thanks for that review. I'm working hard on getting these dialed in. A lot of you have shown interest in these and I'll be taking a couple of orders this coming week.

Thanks, I've honestly impressed myself with how these are coming out. This from a guy that's never happy with his work!

I can totally relate, I think a lot of makers are their own harshest critic and only ever see the perceived flaws... but as an outside spectator I can confirm you do fantastic work :)

I want to give a big shout out for John’s belt crafting skills. My wife Melissa and I were the lucky recipients of the three belts he has recently been discussing and posting pictures of in this thread.

I gave her the honors of opening the box. She was immediately impressed with the rich feel of the leather and water buffalo material as she admired how detailed the gunslinger layout is and how precise all the stitching is. Some added swag and a personalized thank you card from John included in the box was a very nice touch.

i-k32sDR3-XL.jpg

Melissa’s belt is the 1-1/4” one on the left with natural brown water buffalo overlay. The other two are mine. They are 1-1/2” wide with one in black and the other in natural brown water buffalo. Her shorter belt has seven oval holes while mine longer ones have 9 holes.

John’s recommended measuring instructions are great. Follow them to the letter and you will receive a perfect fitting belt. All three of ours are spot on with a perfect fit with the buckle pin in the center hole. This allows plenty of adjustment room for seasonal weight changes and/or more or less gear on the belt per the day’s carry requirements.

The gunslinger stitch pattern is extremely well executed on all of these. This feature gives the belts a classic look that separates John’s work from other simpler custom belts out there.

It appears the oval holes are a somewhat unpopular topic with the leather working folks who have commented above due to the difficulty lining them up correctly. From a buyer’s perspective, this is a feature I much appreciate for ease of adjusting the fit as the buckle pin slips through the oval hole without having to over tighten the belt and look down to find a smaller round hole to poke the pin through. In my experience, round holes that are commonly used on belts quickly become oval from wear distortion. This wear leads to a mix of round and oval holes over time that looks odd vs. just starting with all oval holes that look consistent for a longer lifespan.

The bottom line for me is that the gunslinger stitching and oval holes are features I appreciate and am willing to pay more for.

i-SZcgCnr-XL.jpg

Our need for ordering belts started when Melissa scored the last slot for one of the ten Cowbells available last year. She got the bone linen one shown below. When it arrived, I was shocked to learn that she didn’t own an appropriate belt to securely carry it on. My older belts were were getting long in the tooth, so I planted the seed with John that we were interested in getting on his list when he had time.

Now that the belts are here, Melissa determined that she prefers the cross-draw carry option with her Cowbell.

i-VsFhhDw-XL.jpg

Even though natural brown belts are generally more my thing, I ordered one in black to better match my two black carry pistols & holsters.

i-KbTgRhM-XL.jpg

Melissa and I are thrilled with how these turned out. Everything about these belts from materials to layout and execution is first class. We have no constructive criticism to offer to make them any better. You are a master belt maker John!

The only “wish list” suggestion I will throw out for your consideration is possibly offering the option on future Cowbell sheaths to add a water buffalo overlay to match the belt. We love the look and feel of this leather.

A couple years ago I had Dave Ferry Horsewright Horsewright make me a custom sheath and rifle sling with water buffalo overlays. Cool stuff and very durable. I hope you mind my posting a picture of his sheath on your belt since he is a regular contributor around here and a damned fine gentleman to boot.

i-H6tpcZd-XL.jpg

Thanks again John! You are a hoot and always a pleasure to deal with. We will add more pictures here and there down the road to continue to promote your work.

Best regards,

Phil & Melissa
Great review Phil! John is kicking out some great work with those belts. Great stitching!

i-k32sDR3-XL.jpg

i-SZcgCnr-XL.jpg

i-VsFhhDw-XL.jpg

i-KbTgRhM-XL.jpg

i-H6tpcZd-XL.jpg

Best regards,

Phil & Melissa

Absolutely fantastic! Well done all around.

I drilled a hole through my oval punch and installed a guide wire. It takes all the frustration out of lining those ovals up (which there can be a lot of😖). Not laser perfect but working out good so far. A light pencil line down the center for the end of the wire to align on.
20230809_153818-01.jpeg

20230809_153608-01.jpeg

Got some pictures of a beautifully broken in notebook cover. It's been carried 5 days a week since then. Thanks for the pics Ryan! I really love how this one broke in, the tooling looks weathered but still crisp.

For those that don't remember the kids did a run of 18 covers for the National Parks Field Notes books last November.

If you have one if these we made and need a new book insert let me know and I'll send one out. I don't have any of the National Parks but I have some Moleskine ones that are stitched instead of stapled, I'm thinking they'll hold up better.

IMG_20230829_105447_147-01.jpeg
IMG_20230829_105447_154-01.jpeg

IMG_20230829_105447_166-01.jpeg

Is there interest in another run of these?

Time to throw a stitch back in time. What kind of projects have Roy and Ains been working on?

Matching sheaths for this order:

aNBra2q.jpg

6Fz00jJ.jpg

A Horsewright roper wallet spotted at a News Year Eve party:

I4V5nQk.jpg

Time to throw a stitch back in time. What kind of projects have Roy and Ains been working on?

Matching sheaths for this order:

aNBra2q.jpg

6Fz00jJ.jpg

A Horsewright roper wallet spotted at a News Year Eve party:

I4V5nQk.jpg
Lookin good Dave, that Roper wallet looks sharp!

The kids haven't been doing much leather lately, they've been busy with lessons and the reading bug has bit them. With the (up until now) crazy warm winter we'd been having they're always outside. They did make a couple of leather card wallets for a secret santa deal for 4H, they carved horses on one side and tooled the back, turned out really nice, I should have taken some pictures of them.

Good deal on the reading, thats important for sure. Wish I had more time for it my self. Yeah that deal happens around here too. Ya get a pic of that, No I thought you did. Know the deal. Good they've been able to be out side too. Thanks.

Back