A very bad SOG experience

Note: I decided to share my SOG experience with you guys. I know it is a little condecending, but I have the right to be a little mad after this whole thing.
Back in september, my birthday was comming around. My girlfriend knew I was eyeballing the SOG line, especially the topo meridian. It being my first SOG knife, I didnt know what to expect other than reviews. So my girlfriend bought the topo meridian for me as a birthday gift.
When it came, I opened the package promptly. I was actually quite impressed in the small, but smart build of this knife. I went to open it with the flicker, and it was very very hard to open. So I took it to my workbench and put a few drops of 100% silicone oil on the blade pivot. The blade became so hard to open, I couldnt even open it with two hands. I had to press the flicker on a hard surface extremely hard to make the blade even budge. You could see where the problem was, the liners and the blade were contacting eachother very tight, preventing the blade from moving freely.
But here is the bad part. I contacted SOG about the problem, the guy there seemed very helpful and sorry about the defect. I sent the knife back, I got it back about 2-3 weeks later. I was finally getting the opportunity to actually use this knife. I opened the package once again, I went to open it. And the same exact problem still existed. I am completely convinced that SOG didnt even take a look at it, let alone test it out before reshipping. This was meant to be a birthday gift, it is a little disappointing to have this happen twice.
Once I find some time to contact SOG once again, I will be requesting my money back and go buy a kershaw knife.

Hi,
I am really sorry for your misfortune with SOG, but I must say that I have had quite the reverse experience on several occasions with them. They have always been very helpful, even to the point of sending not one, but two pocket clips that I needed because I foolishly lost mine. I was perfectly willing to pay for a new one, but SOG told me “don’t worry about it”- they provided the replacements free of charge. In fact, any problems that I have had with my SOG knives in the past, have always been a result of my own stupidity, and were no fault of their very high quality knives.

I must assume that you have merely been very unlucky, and yes, SOG probably sent your defective Meridian back to you by mistake, before it was fixed, or replaced.
I really think they are a good company- My advice would be to explain what happened to them, and give SOG one more chance to redeem themselves in your eyes.
Good Luck,
Paul (and no, I have no affiliation with SOG, I just own several of their fine products)

I wouldn't call your complaint condescending at all. SOG's a good company and their customer service is responsive, but it does look like they missed badly on this problem.

Let's see if Chris@SOG notices this thread, and see what he can do for you.

Did you check to make sure the knife was unlocked before you tried to open it ?

I know that is a silly question........ but every new SOG assisted opener I have ever tried to open has been locked when I got them out of the box.........I had to unlock them before they would open.

Sorry for your problems......SOG will fix the problems if you send it back I'm certain of this.

Robbie Roberson ;)

The problem that you are talking about is exactly why I didn't purchase the knife in the first place. Right away it caught my eye, not to mention that I had been reading up on how cool the ergonomics were going to be with the multi-layer grip, but when I tried to open it in person, it refused to work. I felt foolish and shrugged it off as I explained to the guys behind the counter that it must need to be broken in. Then I tried again...and again! I've owned several SOG knives so I know about the safety lock, and it still hurt my finger just to open the damn thing. Unfortunately it was the last one that they had so I was unable to compare it to another one. It could actually be just the knife, but I'm sure that SOG will do their best to help out with the problem. Oh yeah, and Moyx, I had the same helping hand with my sog trident pocket clips. I broke it while trying to make it tighter, and they sent me two free ones even after I offered to pay for just getting one. The only thing I can think of with the topo meridian is that since it is of the lock back design and not just the SAT line, it could have a stronger force holding it both open and closed. Hope this helps with a reason and an eyewitness story, J.

ps. hey spencetron, I don't know how old you are and I don't want to know, but your girlfriend sounds like a keeper if she's buying you fairly good priced knives. My girl doesn't do that because she says they are dangerous. I say, "they are only dangerous to muggers and if you cheat on me." (just kidding...kind of)

Yeah, I know about the blade lock on the spine of the knife, I tried multiple combonations of the blade lock and the safty to get it open.

batosai: She is definately a keeper :D

spencetron

Thanks for posting your concerns with this situation. Can you please send me a personal message with your contact info and I'll verify what was done with the knife when it was here at SOG.

Thanks
Chris

My useless 2cents- its good that a company still stands behind their product, Chris at Sog taking this on personally to help out, in my book is him going out of his way to help. Speaks alot for him and his company- I'd def give them another shot, seems like a huge error that they sent back a broken knife, we're all human though!!

I'm about to purchase my first Sog, probably first of many and do so with confidense- Keep us posted!

My useless 2cents- its good that a company still stands behind their product, Chris at Sog taking this on personally to help out, in my book is him going out of his way to help. Speaks alot for him and his company- I'd def give them another shot, seems like a huge error that they sent back a broken knife, we're all human though!!

Welcome to the SOG forums!:thumbup:

I'm about to purchase my first Sog, probably first of many and do so with confidense- Keep us posted!

May I suggest the Tighershark? :D:D:D

I think NewPigHunter said that one was his favorite. I personally prefer the Recon Bowie. It's small enough yet big enough for everything. I've been thinking about picking up a Shark and a revolver for a while now though. I like the revolver more, but I might have to do both. Just gotta get up some more fun tickets.

I own a few SOG knives (Trident, Pentagon Elite II & Twitch XL) and I've never had a problem with them, Very good knives for the price.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune....but you have to admit chris here seems very kind & professional to take your issues on personally.

Thanks Chris - good to see some good old fashioned service. You've actually made me want to buy another SOG product. :)

Chris and I have been emailing eachother about the situation. He is a really nice guy and very helpful. +1 for good customer service :D.

Spence, since this was resolved wouldn't it be adviceable to alter the thread title to " a very bad SOG experience, that got fixed by great W&R"?

just a suggestion

Good luck with the SOG, just don't put your finger inside the O while closing the blade :D

I was unaware that you could change the title. But I think ill do that.

I think I failed at changing the title =P.

You can only change the title on your post, not on the thread, even though they start the same. I can change it for you if you post here what you want it to be now.

Back