A very, very, very mini sorta report on the Cherokee Rose.

Due to all of the confusion of the weather and me being in and outta the hospital Barb and me finally got our Smokin Pro all put together a few days ago. Barb and her brother had done the biggest part of the work.
There were a couple of wires that the weld had broken on the Bro finally got around to taking to the shop and welded last night as well as putting some stainless expanded metal on the fire grates to help them last longer.
So today we fired up the Smokin Pro to burn it in to get any of the oil that was on it to burn off so it wouldn't kill us when we start cookin on it.

I did a little bit of chopping today with one of the Sanu made Cherokee Roses.
I even did a little prying with it with no problems.
I also stabbed the point into that old piece of chopping blocks we still have on the patio from when the Kookeri Khonvention was here and very carefully pulled from side to
side.
I know the wood is a little soft and giving, but I pulled it over about 20* on both sides with the point returning to
true.
This is the thicker of the two knives.
I chopped some oak in two that was about 1/2" thick and ranging from 1" to 3" wide.
The Cherokee Rose is shaped just like a good axe with its geometry, doesn't hang up in the wood,
cuts plenty deep enough, I was getting a good steady 1" depth each chop with my not so strong arms right now.
Some of the ones in better shape I'm sure will do much
better.
The prying was done in a piece I was trying to split until I realized it was Sycamore and it wasn't gonna split easily.
I chopped into the side of it sorta like making a huge fuzz stick and then got a couple of places to start spliting and that's when I pryed with it in order to break the chunks off.

I told y'all it was a very,very,very mini report. :) However what little I did has made me anxious to do even more as I start to get in better and better shape.
The handle is so very comfortable it's almost unbelieveable to me!!!!
I sure wish I could design 'em like this.;)

The only downside is that both handles were cracked before I started I imagine due to the weather changes here, this is in no way the fault of H.I.
I have Bondini2 on both of them now.
The upside is the beauty of the wood. I did a little scrapeing on it and I am still not sure of what it may be. After I get them glued up and sealed in those areas I will sand and wash with Murphy's to see what it really looks like.All I know is it's the most beautiful wood I have seen come outta BirGhorka and Nepal!!!!!!!!!!

Yvsa,

I am glad to see you are feeling better. It sounds like you have a great knife there. Keep chopping and post a few pictures when you can.

n2s

All I know is it's the most beautiful wood I have seen come outta BirGhorka and Nepal!!!!!!!!!!
Yvsa,
Uncle said that your Cherokee Roses and my big dui chirra had the same wood - he thought it was chandan but we were skeptical. Whatever it is, it is gorgeous stuff. I have put 4 coats of Walosi's TruOil/ArmorAll treatment on mine, and it is out of this world. (I would have put on more, but got tired of having the blade wrapped up and not being able to play with the knife - will continue on toward the legendary 70 coats as time allows :D )
Berk

Chandan wood is very compelling. It is oily, with the scented oil that gives the wood its value. My chandan handle looks like it has already had 100 years of oiling and sweaty hands. a beautiful character. Unfortunately HI has had problems with this type of wood cracking. My WWII had its handle crack. It was then expertly repaired by Kami Sherpa before I bought it. That must have releived the stresses in the handle, because it has given me no problems.

Nice Report Yvsa:D

Just enought to stoke the fires of my HIKV something fierce!!:eek: :cool:

I've got the money for the C.Rose locked up and safe from PGA frenzy, all I have to do is send it to Uncle tomorrow:) HEE!:D

I ordered a half dozen of the Cherokee Rose with specific instructions that Sanu make them. I don't want Kesar to make his version!!!!!!!!!

I ordered a half dozen of the Cherokee Rose with specific instructions that Sanu make them. I don't want Kesar to make his version!!!!!!!!!

:D :cool:

I know everybody is in a panic over there. BirGorkha is a shining example of capitalism working at its best and a nice target for a Maoist bomb. By Nepali standards a lot of US dollars flow into Nepal via BirGorkha and this attracts the attention of everybody and makes us a target for greed and corruption. Although we are out in the middle of vegetable fields we are only a couple of blocks from a very high traffic area (trolley and bus stop and busy bazaar). Too many looking, wondering, talking. The kamis make more money than college professors and this inspires jealousy and the ever present greed. The Nepal Army stops us when we are trying to get khukuris to UPS and accuses us of supplying arms to the Maoists. They don't care to look at our business license, shipping documents or ride with us to UPS just to make sure. They want the bribe, instead.

But the bottom line is no matter what we can't let the quality slide. As I said, if we produce second rate stuff we may as well solve all the problems by shutting the doors. I need the rest anyway.

One of the big joys in my life is my collection of HI knives. I am still astounded sometimes at the quality, character, and value I've recieved. My prayers include the success and well being of all at Birghorka, on both sides of the Big Water.

"The Nepal Army stops us ...They want the bribe..."

Jeeze, this sounds really bad, I didn't realize Bir-Ghorka was getting squeezed by both sides too. Shelling out routinely for bribes is the last thing they need when raising cash. Sounds like the worse the Maoists get, the more the corrupt officials take advantage. Synergism. If the government can't reduce the corruption and contain the Maoists at the same time, what hope is there?:(

It's a lousy situation at present. I hope it gets back to more or less normal --just a few friendly government officials stealing a little here and there.

Back