A View from the Mist

I bop in here rather frequently. I don't always post. But I read, and try to learn. I also try to gain a better grasp on Andy's vast array of blade offerings.

I keep thinking some day, I may try and get to Blade. I'd like to meet many of you in person. But in truth, crowds and cities aren't my thing. I've lost interest in civilian airline flying. TSA searches, and airport crowds have no allure for me.

Even crowds and turmoil on the internet have a way of turning me in different directions.
The buzz of Blade, the move of Andy's shop, and the new Website Fiddleback Forge/Fiddleback Outpost transition conspired to cool my jets until things calmed back down a bit.

This is in no way a negative reflection on anything or anyone. It is more my personality, and where I have gotten to in my own life. I live in the woods and at times can go days or even weeks with out seeing anyone but my wife.

I have to ease myself back into society at times. But I also understand. That typically, with business success there comes change. Growth, adjustments, dynamic movements are all part of becoming more efficient, expanding, and remaining viable.

Vance/Phillip, is doing a totally awesome job, and I have had nothing but positive experiences with the Outpost folks.

The whole thing is meshing very well. It's like one of those highway merges that just goes very well. Everyone blending nicely together without any honking of horns, mashing of brakes, or finger waving.

Mistwalker is and has been, a prominent fixture here for some time. Way back when I bought my first Recluse from Andy, he was around.

This is just a nod to him, his presence and his style. He has a calming effect on me. I can't say that about too many people.

The new website had me looking around. There is a blog section. I call things like this "Value Added". There are several folks in the blog section. But Brian (mistwalker) always gets my first look for many reasons.

First, I know how tough the mechanics of photography and writing can be. If you do it right, it flows. If you do it wrong it can be tedious and long. Brian does an excellent job with the technical items.

But it goes deeper than that. I like the phrase "Critical Thinking" To me it means stepping back, analyzing, and reaching your own conclusions. There is far too little critical thinking these days.

We as a society have responded to the new high spped world in alarming ways. This is not to say everyone here, or even all of the general public is like this. There are some fiercely bright intellectual thinkers here.

But much of the rest has come to resemble an underwater documentary from Jacques Cousteau. Where a school of fish is swimming in one direction, and at the first sign of any stimulus the lead fish veers and the entire school following makes the exact same movement, not even knowing why. Just reacting to the change in direction of the tail in front of it.

Mist takes things to a much deeper level.
If you haven't yet done so. I highly recommend you read his blog on the Fiddleback Website concerning Bacon. The man thinks critically about Pork Bellies. He steps back and views bacon as not only art. But he ponders its historic contribution to mankind. Touches on how much of its value is tossed out by modern society. As a person with a canning jar of filtered bacon in his fridge this resonated with me.

Think about this for a second folks. Critical thought about Pork.
He offers historical perspective, illustrates it with outstanding photos, and weaves it all together with an interesting style of writing.

He sees Bacon as it should be seen. He also points out, and rightly so. Bacon possesses the necessary ingredients to lengthen your life, or shorten it. Depending on how it is utilized
This is all done in a non judgemental way. Just presenting the information interpersed with great photos to illustrate his points.

His other article on User Friendlieness.
Is delivered in much the same style. He speaks to the vast differences an ordinary person encounters using general purpose, user friendly, blade, versus highly specialized, task specific, knife.

Judging by the fingernails in the photos. He has a female colaborator by his side. He shares some subtle humor on the age old, "Does Size Matter" conundrum. And chats about not trying to impress too early on with the size of your knives. Too funny!

He also delivers a thinly vieled public service announcement about how the smaller Fiddleback Forge knives can be Good Will Ambassadors to the general public. Again illustrated with high quality photographic content.

Both of these are well worth the trip over to the new website Blog Section to read. As is almost everything Brian writes. His "Signal to Noise Ratio" is very high.

Thank you sir for all you do.
LV

Folks, you owe it to yourselves to check these out.

Thank you LV and thank you Bill. Your compliments mean a great deal to me, warm my heart very much, and leave me feeling like I'm doing something right. Thank you for that.

Oh, and yes LV, the collaborator that belongs to those nails is a very dear friend, In getting to know her the last couple of years I have been blessed beyond words.

Great post LV. If you do decide to come down, you can choose a less CRAZY time than blade show and still enjoy the shop and crew and knives. But if you don't, you have always been a friend to me. I appreciate it, and this post was very welcome.

Great post LV. If you do decide to come down, you can choose a less CRAZY time than blade show and still enjoy the shop and crew and knives. But if you don't, you have always been a friend to me. I appreciate it, and this post was very welcome.

LostViking LostViking , historically Fridays and Mondays aren't really all that great of days for shop visits either :D

Thank you Andy. It has always been a two way street. Never really contemplated just a shop visit. Makes a lot of sense actually.

LostViking LostViking , historically Fridays and Mondays aren't really all that great of days for shop visits either :D

Why does something special happen on Fridays??

Even if it were to happen. It's a long ways off. Would probably end up being a Motorcycle trip. Nice to know you're welcome though.

Thanks Mist, and Andy!

LostViking LostViking Well said!

Mistwalker Mistwalker is a valued thread of Fiddleback Forge's community fabric. I always look forward to reading his articles as well!

For anyone wanting to catch up, the link to read the blog posts is: Fiddleback Forge Articles

We have the newer site updated with all the posts from 2018 already...and are working our way through re-posting older articles from the old site.

Also, each time we publish a new article during the week, they are collected together and sent out on a newsletter every Wednesday morning (if there is an article to send). We're calling it "Well Read Wednesday". So you can subscribe to the newsletter to get updates on published articles.

LostViking LostViking Well said!

Mistwalker Mistwalker is a valued thread of Fiddleback Forge's community fabric. I always look forward to reading his articles as well!

For anyone wanting to catch up, the link to read the blog posts is: Fiddleback Forge Articles

We have the newer site updated with all the posts from 2018 already...and are working our way through re-posting older articles from the old site.

Also, each time we publish a new article during the week, they are collected together and sent out on a newsletter every Wednesday morning (if there is an article to send). We're calling it "Well Read Wednesday". So you can subscribe to the newsletter to get updates on published articles.

Thanks Robert, I like the way you put that, I like the term community fabric, and we do have a special community here.

I like the new site, it's coming together nicely and looking great!

Back