A walk in the woods with the basic 8 and a friend.

Well today a friend of mine and I headed up the mountain to put the Basic 8 through its paces and trek through some of the last snow of the year. PROBABLY last snow March could bring more but lately we have had mid 40 degree weather and the mountains about the only place with snow left on the North side anyway.

The road to our destination. Dirt road not cared for by salt trucks and plow things.
Ftnv4ts.jpg

Pay day Friday and I'm not at work WOOOOOT!
tQ2GOtS.jpg

Yes we had ulterior motives scouting for spring turkey and scoping out trees for mushroom hunting. Found some Turkey tracks and lots of scratches!
iC57mvP.jpg

Ooo look a B8 track he must be near by.
NihjgcO.jpg

I got mine in sterile I don't like numbers. One last glamour shot before we dirty her up.
8ip4noi.jpg

Some light chopping to gather some firewood.
6LORT7f.jpg

WfjBnXd.jpg

I'm not a featherstick master but B8 was quite comfortable in my hands.
75XUzRZ.jpg

B8 with a friend BIG ASH
CG6jlWJ.jpg

I cheated and used my firesteel on a homemade "mini inferno" just a cotton paid soaked in a solution of paraffin wax and lamp oil
burns for 8 minutes by itself if you can't get a fire going with this you got problems! Or you drank too much which in that case you shouldnt have problems.
dJotttR.jpg

Tried the alcohol stove for the first time worked like a champ!
PUX7EKu.jpg

Heated up our coffee just fine.
CqbefNP.jpg

Picked up this "fire bellows" it basically looks like a hollowed out antenna really helps with applying oxygen to the fire fun to use.
eZwX8TW.jpg

Relaxed in my new hammock from yukon outfitters withou the mosquito net.
zYO7jrM.jpg

Overall a great tip seen 3 doe probably was more I didn't see had a great time with a good friend and enjoyed a day in the woods.
I really enjoy the B8 my only other resp c handle was a 1311 but what a joy to chop with. It won't replace my ASH-1 but I most definately
will be keeping it. Versatile blade and was a pleasure to use. Comfortable chopping/batoning/feathersticking and did a hell of a job opening up a pack of sunflower seeds:cool:

Hope you enjoyed looking forward to spring turkey and mushroom hunting!

Great post zymologist. Enjoyed reading about your outing. Good luck as the hunting seasons roll in.

Great post zymologist. Enjoyed reading about your outing. Good luck as the hunting seasons roll in.

Your welcome fellas and thank you lock you too!

It was a joy to use the resp c handles are so comfortable. Choking back on that thing was great for chopping.

I like how the spine is relatively flat not that I don't like Nuclear Melt Down treatments but IF I wanted to flatten it on my waterstones for getting a 90 degree edge on the spine its darn near already there.

Would make it that much more useful for me as a all around survival knife doing it all. Now I need a B4! UGH the sickness continues. :D

Ha. Yea I am switching it up from folders to fixed blades. Injabe a few good ones, but I am getting into BUSSE now. Save save save. I'll be a proud owner soon

Who says Basics aren't beautiful? That pic in the snow is dead sexy! :thumbup:

Great pics--thanks, man!!!

AWesome stuff! How's the balance on that 8?

Mine is on the way and I'm anxious to test it out. I love Res-C handles.

AWesome stuff! How's the balance on that 8?

Mine is on the way and I'm anxious to test it out. I love Res-C handles.

Thanks for the compliments! I've never done the balance test on any of my knives.

It feels really light in the hand to me and well balanced not sure at what part the handle its balanced. Its put away and I'm drunk at the moment.

I can check tomorrow though!

Yes we had ulterior motives scouting for spring turkey and scoping out trees for mushroom hunting. Found some Turkey tracks and lots of scratches!
iC57mvP.jpg

Turkey? :confused:

Not so sure...I'm betting juvenile T-Rex! :eek:

Either way you're covered with the Basic 8! :thumbup::D:thumbup:

Thanks for the action shots and that antenna hack is BRILLIANT-- telescoping, compact, hollow, I'm feeling it.

Hey Zym...will the B8 INFI throw sparks?

Turkey? :confused:

Not so sure...I'm betting juvenile T-Rex! :eek:

Either way you're covered with the Basic 8! :thumbup::D:thumbup:

Thanks for the action shots and that antenna hack is BRILLIANT-- telescoping, compact, hollow, I'm feeling it.

Hey Zym...will the B8 INFI throw sparks?

T-Rex even better!

Ya know I didnt even try because my Rodent Trail... only other busse kin that comes to mind that I thought had a pretty steep spine didnt throw sparks.
Its all but there same as rodent trail. I haven't found a busse-kin that would though but I'm just a piglet I'll try tomorrow but I'm betting a case of
nugget nectar that it won't.

Working it on my waterstones will get it there and having it looking nice in no time though.

Nice pics n story, Thanks!
I'm likin that hammock. ..

Cheap hammock but better build than their older ones. I like it for when I don't need the nets for bugs.

I'm pretty sure it was around $25-$30 at the gun show I was at. Doesn't come with clips/caribiners or the tree straps but not a bad price at 300lb rating.

It's cool to finally see a B8 in the flesh and in action.

As far as a fire steel working on INFI.... Should be no problem.... I've used a fire steel with my AMSMO. My fire steel fits nicely in the choil of the AMSMO, throws some nice sparks.

First thread I opened this afternoon and I'm rewarded with a good story and GREAT pics!!!

Thanks for posting that and good luck chasing those mini-veloceraptors this spring!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

It's cool to finally see a B8 in the flesh and in action.

As far as a fire steel working on INFI.... Should be no problem.... I've used a fire steel with my AMSMO. My fire steel fits nicely in the choil of the AMSMO, throws some nice sparks.

Right works well on anything with a 90 degree edge. Haven't tried choil on mine but I will!

Back