A way too big noob survival kit, or: A kit of things that might come in handy

Since you guys seem to like kit threads so much - and because I updated mine recently - I decided to take some pics. You'll notice that there are some things missing that might seem essential to many of you, like a compass, fishing hooks or a magnesium fire starter.

That's because I live in Germany and I don't think you can get days away from civilization around here. I'm sure if it's not a major natural disaster happening, you will be able to get help very soon no matter were you are, if you can make sure your cell is working in the area you are traveling, and keep a spare battery for the thing.

The reason some things in my kit bag seem to be a strange fit is that I build one package only that I move from my city briefcase to my woods backpack and vice versa. I'm a lazy guy and prefer to carry a few ounces extra instead of make and keep updated two packs. There are many things for pure comfortability in there too that aren't really needed.

Matter of fact some folks think I'm a little mad being so prepared in a country like Germany. Be that as it may, it's truly good part hobby I guess, but some things are useful and good to have handy at all times. Course if you need a first aid kid badly, in a city you could always smash a car window and get one from there. Well, what the!?

The bag has two major departments and plenty space for extra things I might decide to take with me on a given occasion (like my heavy Victorinox SwissTool with the bit set). The fist department is easily accessed and contains things I might find generally useful, the second contains the things that I hope I need never use, like the first aid stuff. Almost everything of that stuff is packed waterproof.

Besides the pack, that I don't carry everywhere I go for a short while (just when I have briefcase or backpack on me), I keep some essential things on my person, in my wallet and pockets. Often have my Maxped EDC mini on me too with some little things in it, that aren't that much survival related but more of everyday usefulness: Leatherman Squirt, small bike multitool, SAK, mini pry, backup lighter, pens, batteries, plasters, refreshing tissues, ...

Oops, almost forgot to include the photos. ;-)

img8118r.jpg

Nice inconspicuous bag with carry handle, used to be a toiletry bag, and carried around in briefcase or backpack. Filled with contents measures about 25 x 18 x 7 centimeters, or 9 7/8 x 7 1/16 x 2 3/4 inches (pretty big for that kind of kit I guess, I'm in search for a better container though).

img8119sv.jpg

Plenty of space left inside for toilet requisites in a waterproof pouch, or whatever else I deem useful for a certain trip.

img8121d.jpg

Contents of top section: nail clippers, power bar, nivea creme, emergency whistle (really recommend that thing, it's ultra-loud with very little effort), Victorinox Camper pen knife with a really good working saw, can opener, awl, tweezers and other useful stuff, Spork, Kleenex, charcoal tablets and Imodium (my stomach is a little frail - I hat it), salt, very effective diamond sharpening rod, lightweight carbon steel fixed blade knife Mora 510.

img8122.jpg

Big rescue blanket, bandanna (super useful for so many things from headdress to base for an improvised water filter), fine dust face mask with exhalation valve (may be a little overkill), hard-top spectacle case with spare glasses, Coghlan's waterproof pouch with first aid stuff and such.

img8123y.jpg

Plenty of room left in the spectacle case, contents at present: glasses, microfiber cloth, tinder tampon, strong needle, superglue (came in very handy once for a shoe repair).

img8124fc.jpg

img8125g.jpg

Contents of the waterproof pouch with contents and expiration dates visibly listed.

Top packet:
- ESEE plastic check card with survival instructions (invaluable to open room doors)
- very big, tear-resistant plastic trash bag
- about 2 m of paracord
- about 2 m of wire
- some wire paper clips (may function as fishing hooks if sharpened, also to fish for something that fell into a crack, or to improvise something)
- 50 m of dental floss (also for traps and whatever, may eventually be replaced by fishing line)
- assortment of cable straps and split rings
- some small nails
- refreshing tissues
- safety pins
- a plastic straw

And on the right:
- mini BIC lighter and matchbook
- Kleenex again
- tampons (for tinder, nosebleed or to help out a girl)
- piece of grill lighter

Middle packet:
- small packs of salt (thank you Burger King)
- razor blade
- Kevlar sewing thread and needles
- chewing gum (can be used like Plasticine to make or fix something)
- pencil and paper
- more grill lighter
- cough drop
- tiny first aid kit w/ bandage, compress for wounds, safety pins, Leukoplast medical tape, miscellaneous adhesive plasters, alcoholic sanitary wipes, paracetamol pills and painkillers

Bottom packet:
- 2 condoms (to carry water, as disposable gloves, or in emergency situations)
- coffee filter
- Micropur water purification tablets
- dextrose
- Kleenex and refreshing tissues again, glasses cleaning cloth
- AAA flashlight and 4 spare batteries on the right

img8126j.jpg

img8127e.jpg

I planned to considerably slim down my kit to the most essential and got me this new BCB mess box. Despite sporting a rubber seal, it's contents get wet in the lightest of showers, so I would have to seal it permanently with some tape, which I don't like.

I have waterproof boxes from Otter and S3 which are good, but they take away so many space due to their shockproofness. I'd use them though if they came in about A4 paper format and very slim. Pity they do not.

Well, maybe this list of stuff I carry around could give some of you new ideas of what you could carry yourselves.

Please tell a kit noob what you think. Anything you'd add? Which things do you deem most useless, or rather, most useless to carry?

Great kit.... thanks for sharing
Flashlight is it LED or does it have a bulb ? if so maybe carry 2 spare bulbs.

I would add another extra bulb... I used a brand new maglite once after installing batteries ,turned on within 5minutes bulb went out,I was left with spare in tail cap with out a back up.....

I would suggest upgrading to the Streamlight Microstream LED,single AAA and brighter than the light your carrying now

I would add another extra bulb... I used a brand new maglite once after installing batteries ,turned on within 5minutes bulb went out,I was left with spare in tail cap with out a back up.....

I would suggest upgrading to the Streamlight Microstream LED,single AAA and brighter than the light your carrying now

Maybe I haven't given the flashlight enough thought. Getting out and changing the spare bulb in pitch dark might indeed be a problem if you don't do it very slow and careful. I have a MIL-STD-810 iTP A3 EOS Upgraded which is about the same size as the Solitaire in one of my jacket pockets, I will switch the lamps.

i agree. the streamlight is very nice for the money. i have only replaced the battery once in 5 months. plus the batteries are cheap and for the most part plentiful compared to cr123 that i need in my surefire, brinkman and fenix lights. i do keep about 10 on standby. but you can always find a AAA.

That's pretty complete for day to day use. Off the top of my head, I would recommend adding some large guaze pads (or a couple maxi-pads) to use in the event of a seriously injury reulting in heavy bleeding, a small disposible lighter, and some sort of oil wipes since your blade is carbon steel.

I definitely agree on what has been said about the flashlight. If you want to stick with something small, I'd recommend a 4Sevens Preon Revo. It's the same form factor as the Solitaire, but tremendously brighter. Plus it has three brightness levels as well as strobe, SOS, and beacon modes all in a current regulated single AAA light. The runtime is impressive as well. :thumbup:

-Ranger-, I looked up maxi pads in Google, since I didn't know the term. Did you think about these women menstruation things? Anyway, I really hope I will not black out if I ever have to attend to such a big wound ...

I didn't have any issues with rust on the Mora as long as I keep it dry, it's definitely less prone to rust than my ESEE knives.

If you have the room, maybe a pair of Mechanix gloves?

Like these? ;-)

ontariorat1folderpict19.jpg

I like them and have them in my backpack more often than not, but I think they would add too much bulk to my near EDC kit.

Thank you all for your replies.

-Ranger-, I looked up maxi pads in Google, since I didn't know the term. Did you think about these women menstruation things? Anyway, I really hope I will not black out if I ever have to attend to such a big wound ...

Yep; they work great to stop bleeding. They're "extra absorbant", designed to soak up blood, and stay fairly clean since they're self contained in their own little baggies. I have a few in all my first aid kits.

Plus, with the sticky strip on the back, they can be used as knee pads in a pinch. :D

Yep; they work great to stop bleeding. They're "extra absorbant", designed to soak up blood, and stay fairly clean since they're self contained in their own little baggies. I have a few in all my first aid kits.

Plus, with the sticky strip on the back, they can be used as knee pads in a pinch. :D

Someone else asked this question on another thread and I don't believe it was answered. It's a legitimate question though: Would using a pad that is designed to soak up blood be worth a damn to stop a real bleed? I can understand tampons since plugging a bullet hole is a good thing but a wicking pad doesn't seem to be much help unless you just don't want to see the blood. Now, if they are used as pressure pads then I can see where they might be worth something, but soaking up blood and clotting blood are two different things. So, do you plan on packing the Kotex into a would to stop an arterial bleed or merely put it over the top and pretend you did something? If it's going to be used to pack a wound then I'm thinking Kerlix gauze may be a better choice.

I agree; I pack them primarily to use to apply direct pressure and perhaps as a backing pad to tape up a wound outside of a wad of guaze. Facing severe arterial bleeding and I hope I have more than a maxi-pad. You'd be better off using Quik-Clot and packing the wound. But I figure since he rarely leaves civilization, proper medical treatment is never far off so direct pressure is effective short-term.

As for their effectiveness, it sounds stupid, but I found it depends on the brand. The name brand extra super absorbant pillow ones aren't bad, but they are bulky to pack. I've had fairly good success using them to stop "normal bleeding"; i.e. an eyebrow or scalp laceration, a nasty gash on a shin, etc. Anything severe or arterial and I'd be busting out something more effective.

I agree; I pack them primarily to use to apply direct pressure and perhaps as a backing pad to tape up a wound outside of a wad of guaze. Facing severe arterial bleeding and I hope I have more than a maxi-pad. You'd be better off using Quik-Clot and packing the wound. But I figure since he rarely leaves civilization, proper medical treatment is never far off so direct pressure is effective short-term.

As for their effectiveness, it sounds stupid, but I found it depends on the brand. The name brand extra super absorbant pillow ones aren't bad, but they are bulky to pack. I've had fairly good success using them to stop "normal bleeding"; i.e. an eyebrow or scalp laceration, a nasty gash on a shin, etc. Anything severe or arterial and I'd be busting out something more effective.

Thanks for the reply. Good info. :thumbup:

Jeff, I'm honored that you read in and answered in my thread. Thank you @-Ranger- for the explanation, too. I packed a compress that should do very much the same I guess (and a bandage roll).

As to how effective they are? I guess it's always better to have one than none.

Other than that I can't add much to your discussion point, since I don't have any practical experience in dealing with wounds bigger than your average cuts, or an open knee. I took some first aid courses in the past but I don't know how much they are worth when facing a real life situation.

It's great to have feedback from folks like you, that know what they're talking about.

Looks like you have a little extra room in there..... :eek:

I found a website on here called county comm... (http://www.countycomm.com/) and they have all kinds of stuff we don't "need" but we definitely need! :D

Oh, and orders under $99 is a flat $8 shipping... so it pays to buy more than a couple things. Great kit and I hope you enjoy the county comm place!

Mafacdf
(not an employee of county comm)

County Comm is just too damn cool. They've gotten a lot of my money over the years :D

equest: you've got some really nice kits. Appreciate you posting them up and for being here!

that's a pretty comprehensive kit...i'd add some type of plastic to keep me dry/shelter...heavy duty garbage bags, lightweight tarp, or poncho.

Using a maxi pad for direct pressure is different than their intended use. Most wounds are going to be wrapped tight enough you are not going to have to worry about their "wicking" effect. Even a regular bandage loosly applied will not stop a bleed. I pack normal bandages but would have no problem using pads. Most trauma dressings are built the same way as pads with multiple layers of different material.

Back