a week of fishing - camping. which knife would you...?

Gents,

a few of us are heading to Sweden to a flyfishing trip for (big)trout and grayling at the end of august. we plan to camp on the whole trip.
As baggage weights are limited I'm thinking what "big" knife to bring with me...My CGBM stays for sure, but my BWBM's just want to jump off the drawer...anyway, as a "smallish" knife I'll bring my SS5 LE or an F1.
here are the contenders:
- BWM LE
- BWM CG
- SFNO LE
- Skinny ASH
- ASH LE

what are your thoughts?

I think the BWMLE would be a great choice paired with either of the smaller blades you mentioned. Heavy enough for some good chopping but still not too bad for carrying around. I think the SFNO would be a great choice too but I have no personal experience with that particular blade. The BWM/F1 combo is the closest to what I use as my fishing combo, so that is what I recommend.

I'd go with the bwm le. If you had said nmsfno I'd have said go with, but the distance between an ss5 and the sfno/skinny ash is pretty small. I like having a big blade just to have it, but realistically if you are only going to be batoning with it I would choose the lightest, slimmest long blade of the set.

you should get a dsf :p

With weight being a consideration, and me not knowing how much wood you'll need to actually chop...

1. Ash-1 (Skinny), the lightest option.

2. SFNOLE, which as Guyon has shown, is a pretty good chopper for its size and a dang handy knife all around.

If you know that you'll be having to chop a lot of wood for fires during the week, I believe the BWM is a little lighter than the CGFBM, and with it's pointier tip, might have more uses than just chopping, so I'd then go with that.

S5LE seems like a great choice for the smaller knife (but I'm not familiar with an F1, so my opinion may not count, LOL)

Have a great trip!! :thumbup:

I think the F1 or S5LE might be all you need but for a do-all knife......I'd go with the SFNOLE.
It'll do everything well.
I dislike the ASH models because it limits how you grip the handle. Your hand is sandwiched in between the front and rear guard holes. Hard to choke back on the handle to chop with. The SFNO has an open handle.

Why do you need a big knife for trout fishing? Take a culti or BAD and you'll be fine unless you need to find the river :D

You sound ready to me, you can't go wrong with a CGFBM. A filet knife may be in order.:D

A Basic 5 ought to do it. Or, take a cultie and, since your in Sweden, buy a Gransfors Burks hatchet, either the Wildlife hatchet or the larger Small Forest Axe (although as a hunter, I really like the Hunter's Axe).

It's not that I don't like chopping with a big old blade. It's just that these are the best production axes around, IMHO, and a great souvenir of your trip to Sweden. Also, lightens your load on the air travel to Sweden. I can't vouch for the trip back, you know those Swedes (lots in my family) and you may meet up with someone.

Lots of luck, have fun.

I'd say that you need to find an SHBM before you go.

Where is COBALT when you need him :confused: :confused: :confused:

Gents,

a few of us are heading to Sweden to a flyfishing trip for (big)trout and grayling at the end of august. we plan to camp on the whole trip.
As baggage weights are limited I'm thinking what "big" knife to bring with me...My CGBM stays for sure, but my BWBM's just want to jump off the drawer...anyway, as a "smallish" knife I'll bring my SS5 LE or an F1.
here are the contenders:
- BWM LE
- BWM CG
- SFNO LE
- Skinny ASH
- ASH LE

what are your thoughts?

Thanks guys,

we all know, these threads are about to have another opportunity to talk about our beloved knives...;)
as for the question - why a big knife on trout fishing, my answer is simple:
I do not want to be without some chunk of INFI in the bush...and, of course not fish preparing is what for a bigger knife is "needed". bush clearing, some batoning, and whatever the situation throws at us. we'll camp mostly off the path.
and when I say "big" trout, I mean it...:cool:

Bwmle for me i've got several mistress's and i seem to grab it most often. Not too light or too heavy. Plus is is quite pointy if you would need it to do something that needs such a point. Paired with your small knife you'll be good to go. Good luck on your trip and have fun. :thumbup:

I took my BWM CF and BAD and that is all I needed. I did take my Krein BK11 Bird & Trout also, but just to throw some pics up on his forum also. The BWM or any the same size and the BAD or any the same size is all you need. Take a look at my fishing/hunting trip post in wyo. Not alot of shots of the knives, but that is what I did, and it is nearly the same thing you are going to do. Have a Good One!!!

My fishing setup. Good for light brush work and cleaning fish. Chuck(Chuddy Bear) made the sheath. BWM would be a good substitute for the SAR-8. Also, a fillet knife is kept in my fishing bag for finer work.
P1010356.JPG

P1010362.JPG

Back