A whole new appreciation for INFI :D

So... there I was preparing some firewood with my TTKZ and after about half an hour of chopping I slipped up and a stone caught a pretty strong glancing blow of INFIzilla. I was sure I'd mess up the edge pretty badly, but 3-4 minutes of 600/1200 grit sandpaper and she's good as new, asking for more stones...

First of all, zero chipping even though it was the last inch of the tip that connected with said stone - very impressed! Keep in mind that this is ~35oz of steel that's being tossed around plus the momentum from the chopping itself :D And secondly, it was sooo easy to get back to paper cutting sharpness. I could probably get it to cleanly slice newspaper again, but I think that's a bit redundant considering its current position as wood/stone choppazilla.

I think I'm going to drop a line to the company Peter hooked me up with and get one of them belt sanders cause I have a feeling this Zilla's gonna need some more refurb work shortly :D I bet cars are even more fun than wood :rolleyes:

Anyhoo... feel free to share your eye-opening moments regarding INFI - I'm excited to hear stories! We need stories!

Also - if anyone could recommend a good 1x30 belt dealer, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm kind of a newb when it comes to what kind of belts/abrasives to get for what type of work so any and all tips are welcome :)

I've chopped with my Steel Heart and gone through to the slate beneath my wood stove. Slate flew. Infi fine! Not a chip nor a roll. Nada. :)

So... there I was preparing some firewood with my TTKZ and after about half an hour of chopping I slipped up and a stone caught a pretty strong glancing blow of INFIzilla. I was sure I'd mess up the edge pretty badly, but 3-4 minutes of 600/1200 grit sandpaper and she's good as new, asking for more stones...

First of all, zero chipping even though it was the last inch of the tip that connected with said stone - very impressed! Keep in mind that this is ~35oz of steel that's being tossed around plus the momentum from the chopping itself :D And secondly, it was sooo easy to get back to paper cutting sharpness. I could probably get it to cleanly slice newspaper again, but I think that's a bit redundant considering its current position as wood/stone choppazilla.

I think I'm going to drop a line to the company Peter hooked me up with and get one of them belt sanders cause I have a feeling this Zilla's gonna need some more refurb work shortly :D I bet cars are even more fun than wood :rolleyes:

Anyhoo... feel free to share your eye-opening moments regarding INFI - I'm excited to hear stories! We need stories!

Also - if anyone could recommend a good 1x30 belt dealer, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm kind of a newb when it comes to what kind of belts/abrasives to get for what type of work so any and all tips are welcome :)

I personally think the Work Sharp WSKTS is the best tool out there for sharpening up an edge. All you need is a steady hand and you can put a beautiful Zero Convex on anything.

i also strop all my blades

I think that all of the 1x30 belt grinders out there are really all the same (from China), just with different labels. The most common source is Harbor Freight.

The Work Sharp is just a mini mini belt sander, the 1x30 would serve you better, but for the money.. 2x the cost of work sharp, and 3x the cost of a HF 1x30, and easily 10x better... the 1x42 by Grizzly is far better and more reliable and steady .. the 1x42 has better belt selection, adjustable wheels/removable platen , order a leather belt, load it and from then on its a breeze to tune up the convex edge

Attachments

• srs60.jpg
    srs60.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 40
The Work Sharp is just a mini mini belt sander, the 1x30 would serve you better, but for the money.. 2x the cost of work sharp, and 3x the cost of a HF 1x30, and easily 10x better... the 1x42 by Grizzly is far better and more reliable and steady .. the 1x42 has better belt selection, adjustable wheels/removable platen , order a leather belt, load it and from then on its a breeze to tune up the convex edge

Unfortunately, shipping from the US is pretty tedious :(

I have a work sharp, and its better for convexing edges than just regular sharpening. Problem for me is, I keep blunting the edges so I stopped using it. I think the plastic guards make it worse. Its better to freehand but I don't have many or any crappy knives to practice on.. was a disappointment for me.

Sorry I didn't see you was from Sweden, before you purchase, or (if you do from the states) check your power supply you guys have, most European countries run 240V, 50 cycle power, and most US motors use 60 cycles.

I was batoning my sarsquatch on the concrete porch. I smashed straight through the log into the concrete. I was sure it tore the blade up but nope not a single blemish and it hit hard. it dulled it a bit but nothing a few minutes on the strop couldn't fix!

Back