A wonderful Turkey day happening

littlehoot

Gold Member
We travelled to my dads house for the annual Thanksgiving day meal. After eating, everyone began to mill about doing different things: card playing, perusing black Friday ads, etc.

My nephew wanted to go out and check zero on his deer rifles (we have several designated ranges at Dad's place). We are just beginning rifles season in Alabama and he already missed one, which is unusual for him.

While setting up, my son looks up at a few large birds circling above and asks "dad, is that a bald eagle?" (I'm a biologist by education and an avid birder)

Several bald eagles were, in fact flying just over top of us. Low enough to count tail feathers!

It was an incredible moment. Bald eagles have only become "common" again in these parts in the last few years, in part due to extensive efforts by the state and federal wildlife officials working closely with the Tennessee Valley Authority (which manages waterways here).

I am thankful, indeed.

Awesome...we have a very few bald eagles where I live. We were fortunate enough to see one last month. They are truly majestic and fierce in appearance!

That’s really good to hear. Saw my first bald eagle ever almost 9 years ago. It was on Christmas morning in my yard with the kids in Orange Beach Al. At first I thought it was a pelican with something white in its mouth and then I was shocked. Cool feeling!
Hope it’s a good season.

That’s really good to hear. Saw my first bald eagle ever almost 9 years ago. It was on Christmas morning in my yard with the kids in Orange Beach Al. At first I thought it was a pelican with something white in its mouth and then I was shocked. Cool feeling!
Hope it’s a good season.

Do you stull live there on the coast, double D?

No, but I miss it and still have family there. I’ll be there before Christmas to hunt some. I’ve been in southern Oregon for over 7 years. It’s really beautiful here, but I miss warm sand and water.

Saw my first Eagle IRL a couple years ago in Middle Tenn. while hiking.

It was a sight to behold and the memory will always stay with me.

It was remarkable how quiet the countryside got when that majestic raptor was on patrol!

We have a lot of them here along the Chesapeake Bay. But I still stop in my tracks to watch when one flies over. Never tire of watching them.
The other morning I was walking the dog and had one fly over with a branch in its mouth. Watched it til it disappeared over the tops of the trees headed toward the nearest inlet. Was just about to start walking again when I saw a second one on almost the exact same flight path, headed in the same direction, with a pine branch in its mouth. I can only assume it was a nesting pair.

I saw one of the original "release" pairs on Guntersville lake in the eighties as a child.

They can lift branches much larger than you would think.

The ones I saw yesterday were the fourth or fifth time I've seen wild Eagles, always amazing.

I am fortunate enough to see them on a regular basis in the sierra nevada range here in northern california. They love the high mountain lakes. We moved back to the coastal ranges and i see bald eagles almost everytime we go out kayaking.
Conservation of the few wild places remaining is key to the survival of many majestic creatures we share this planet with.

Back