A word on handles- for those who are curious.

VooDooWitchDoctor

A word on handles- for those who are curious.

A lot of people before my time did all the hard work in figuring out handle materials that work and survive the harshest environments. So here is what we use!

Resiprene C-
Resiprene C handles have all the advantages of rubber handles without any of the disadvantages. They are comfortable, shock absorbing, slip resistant when wet, and provide insulation from the cold. Unlike Kraton, Resiprene C is a non-hygroscopic material which means that it will neither "take on" or "emit" fluids. It is impervious to salt water, petroleum-based chemicals and is much more resistant to higher and lower temps than is Kraton. It is so amazingly tough and durable that Busse stands as the only company to have ever put a Lifetime Guarantee on a rubber handle.

Canvas Micarta-
Canvas Micarta has a rougher look than G-10, but tends to have slightly more grip, since it is a cloth-based laminate. It isn’t quite as water or oil resistant as G-10 so it will take on a different look after being used regularly (think of the oils coming out of your skin). Canvas Micarta is lighter and more textured than G-10 making it ideal for knives that are carried everywhere. In general, Canvas Micarta is a lightweight, grippy, durable handle material that will last through years of hard use.

G-10-
Though it is similar to Canvas Micarta as a laminate, that is where the similarities end. G-10 is a Fiberglass-based resin laminate. Since it is denser, it weighs more than Canvas Micarta, but it is also stronger. G-10 Is completely water and oil resistant, it won’t chip, soften, or become brittle. This is an extremely tough material and once it is machined it takes on a polished finish look.

I agree with your take for the most part but I would not personally call micarta a 'lightweight' material. Reason being is while it may be light relative to G-10, it is still on the heavy side compared to other handle materials (especially the traditional materials that have been used for centuries). I am leaning towards micarta being my favorite over G-10 at this point, especially on smaller knives.

I love Res-C ... it is light years ahead of Kraton... the only downside I've run into is that it is SO GOOD at absorbing shock <the kinetic kind> when I've needed to beat on the handle to get it unstuck, a lot of my force is absorbed by the handle. All in all I judge that an ok trade-off for the major upsides of the material.

Canvas Micarta is my favorite material on users.

Paper Micarta is my favorite for looks.

Res-C:
BDRq7cm.jpg

kAE7nzP.jpg

Nj08XWK.jpg

ViK9QeH.jpg

Canvas Micarta:
g3PTI79.jpg

d9ZEzNU.jpg

nS4Sxku.jpg

UUJFKHY.jpg

Black Paper Micarta:
SWKDllx.jpg

dFawNgh.jpg

T5TIxQQ.jpg

Last edited:
Since you guys are in the business of selling knives I’ll say this:

Black paper and maroon micarta seem to be really popular…just sayin.

Back