A2 plate quench warp/decarb

ive recently just started working A2 and my first attempt heat treating seems to not be great. I had two blades quenched and both warped bad, one of them only being 3” (neck knife axe) the other is about 7” knife with 3 blade, both are .146” thick.

HT was: foil wrap, equalize at 1200, equalize at 1400, austenite at 1740, plate quench untill cool to handle.

Both had significant warps that I couldn’t fix as I broke one attemlting to fix in temper at 400. Also before the temper on the 7” knife I noticed 2” of the tip was black sooty looking and a file skated off the steel untill I got to the dark tip where it dug in.. I then sanded it down like it was decarb and after a bit of material removal I found I gotta some good hard stuff that the file would skate..

I’ve heat treated other plate quenching steels and have yet to get a warp, why would A2 cause me an issue? Also any recommendations of the decarb later on the tip? Bevels were pre ground..

As of now the small neck knife is tempering at 400 clamped between some scrap .202” S35VN hoping to straighten it.

Thanks as always!

Back