A2 Steel and Carbide - Ultralight Hikers $75 Shipped! (all sold, thanks everyone!)

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Ultralight Hikers - these are tough, slim and hold a great edge! My goal was light weight, minimalist purposeful style and edge holding in a comfortable easy to maintain package.

Here's some information... just let me know if you have any questions! :D

~6" long
~1/16" thick
~60-61 RC with a 72 RC Tungsten Carbide Edge :cool:
- High Satin or Stonewashed finish blades
- Polished Edge
- Kiln Finished Hand Rubbed or Stonewashed Flats
- Right Hand Oriented Single Bevel Grind
- Rounded spine, choil and perimeter for comfort

These are very easy to sharpen, just bring up a burr from the beveled side and strop off. The carbide will make stropping take a bit longer but the edge holding will more than make up for that. The carbide cuts aggressively especially on meat, cardboard and rope.

These come with a teklok compatible custom sheath with removable hardware for ease of cleaning.

I have two in stonewashed/black and the rest are kiln finished! :cool: The kiln finish is a favorite as it always comes out different and very cool! This finish is not very durable but ages very nicely.

$95 Shipped with Sheath- International shipping is extra - Click Here to Buy or Shop

Last edited:
That's a heckofa deal. These are good as gone. I like the finish on these, D!

Stonewashed Black!

This one is a bit different... swedge, pointy, a bit smaller than the rest. It would be great for concealed carry. Did I mentio pointy? :D

That's a heckofa deal. These are good as gone. I like the finish on these, D!

Much appreciated!

I'm bringing the value on these. That was a lot of work in effort to keep them nice and simple.

Dan, Ok I went to your purchase page. Hope I bought the right thing. Have to have that black pointy bastard. Let me know if I goofed up. So used to the "Ill take it" of old....lol.

Dan, Ok I went to your purchase page. Hope I bought the right thing. Have to have that black pointy bastard. Let me know if I goofed up. So used to the "Ill take it" of old....lol.

Thanks! Much appreciated and yes, you got the right one. :D I am not the best at sales descriptions, lol! Hopefully the site was easy to use. I bet you like it! :D

Great looking knives. Almost perfect small form necks.

But carbides on A2 is a waste. The edge will allways be "rugged", and cannot ever be really precise.

Great looking knives. Almost perfect small form necks.

But carbides on A2 is a waste. The edge will allways be "rugged", and cannot ever be really precise.

Thanks for the compliments on the knives! :)

I wondered about the combination myself until I tested one, for cutting abrasive materials and overall aggressive cutting it was very impressive. I do agree that achieving a hair whittling edge may be nearly impossible with the carbide but these fly through phone book paper with ease. These would not be good for shaving but are excellent on cardboard and for slicing. These have a nearly polished edge and are still very aggressive due to the carbide.

They are not for everyone but are specialized tools for those that need a long lasting aggressive edge.

I wouldn't use my backpacker to shave, that's for sure. You know what I have used it for recently? Trimming Stingray in the workshop. Also, it scrapes dried resin like a champ! I think that the process of applying carbide to the edges may be the next big thing. And seeing how well it performs made me a believer that it's more then just lipstick for the edge of my knife; something gaudy and for show. It really works!

I process woodpeckers with mine... feathers don't stand a chance.

But seriously.. carbide is great for what it was made for... long lasting, toothy cutting. Not surgery. Perhaps ZDP189 thin stock would work for that :D

Thanks guys! I am a big fan of carbide edges, I love how they cut and keep cutting but are easy to sharpen if needed.

Back